STEEL CHALLENGE MATCH - Harvard Sportsmen's Club - May 21, 2016

PMD

STEEL CHALLENGE MATCH - Harvard Sportsmen's Club
Saturday, May 21, 2016

SHOOTER'S MEETING: 9:15am
START TIME: 9:30am squadded

Categories:
Pistol Open, Pistol Iron, Production, Revolver Open, Revolver Iron, Rimfire Pistol Open, Rimfire Pistol Iron, Rimfire Rifle Open, Rimfire Rifle Iron, PCC.

Main match $15.00 (first gun) -
Fun Run (2nd gun if time permits after Main match) $5.00 .
Juniors (18 and under) shoot first gun for free - 2nd gun $5.00 (All competitors 18 and under must be accompanied by their parent or guardian throughout the competition).

Five Stages:

Speed Option
Roundabout
Five to Go
Accelerator
HSC Outlaw stage.

General Principles:

Steel Challenge scoring is simple: your time is your score!
Each stage consists of five targets, commonly referred to as plates. Four are standard plates, and the fifth is designated as the stop plate.
Each of the standard targets must be hit at least once before hitting the stop plate, and the time stops when the stop plate is hit. Competitors may fire as many rounds as they deem necessary for each string of fire. The worst string on each stage will be thrown out, and the total of the remaining times will be competitor’s score for that stage. All stages will be shot five times with the exception of "Outer Limits" which will be shot four times.
The maximum time allowed for an individual string is 30 seconds.

For complete Rules and stage layouts please go here: http://www.steelchallenge.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***NOTE***

*HSC is a COLD RANGE: All firearms will be kept UNLOADED except on the firing line under the direct supervision of a Match Officials.
*Gun handling at Safe tables only and must be brought to the firing line in a holster or case.
*Eye and ear protection is required for all shooters and spectators.
*Holsters: In general, holsters shall be mounted in the general vicinity of the waist, must cover the trigger, and must safely hold/retain the gun.
*All Centerfire handguns must be appropriate for holster use - the Match Director/Range Master has the final say.
*Appendix Draw and Drawing from Concealment is not allowed at the HSC SCCA matches.
*HSC will allow "Low Ready" starts for Centerfire handguns (2 seconds added per run)
*Rimfire competition does not involve the use of a holster
*Each competitor is expected to come to the firing line ready to shoot, with an appropriate amount of ammunition in an appropriate number of magazines or speed-loaders or other loading devices.
*Minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions (38 Special, 9X19).
*Rimfire firearms must be .22 Long Rifle (.22LR) only.
*PCC (see notes below)
*Any ammunition deemed unsafe or likely to damage the targets will be removed from use.
*Any standard plate which has not been hit before the stop plate will count as a Miss. Each Miss on a standard plate will result in a 3 (three) second penalty, added to the shooter’s time for that string.
*If the stop plate is not hit, the score for that string is 30 seconds

PCC will be allowed at HSC Steel Challenge Matches on a Provisional basis.
See USPSA Appendix D8 for PCC rules
http://uspsa.org/document_library/2016/PCC Appendix for USPSA_D8_DNROI_posting3116.pdf

Note that at HSC SCSA matches all rifles (rimfire and centerfire) must be flagged and bagged/cased.
Rifles may not be un-bagged unless at the Safe Table or until the Make Ready command is given; muzzle must be pointed downrange at Make Ready.

For Club information and directions:
http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com

Last edited:
Note that a few things that have changed this Season:

At each match will be shooting 4 of the official SCSA stages and one HSC Outlaw mystery stage.
We will alternate stages each month so that after two consecutive months you would have shot all 8 Official Stages.

Steel Challenge has a Classification Summary so if you wanted you could add your two scores and compare how you did against the World's best.
http://steelchallenge.com/steel-challenge-rankings.php

Also if any Competitor has ideas for a HSC Outlaw stage please let me know - you can even set it up and name it.

PCC will be allowed at HSC Steel Challenge Matches on a Provisional basis.
See USPSA Appendix D8 for PCC rules
http://uspsa.org/document_library/2016/PCC Appendix for USPSA_D8_DNROI_posting3116.pdf

Note that at HSC SCSA matches all rifles (rimfire and centerfire) must be flagged and bagged/cased.
Rifles may not be un-bagged unless at the Safe Table or until the Make Ready command is given; muzzle must be pointed downrange at Make Ready.

Appendix Draw and Drawing from Concealment is not allowed at the HSC SCSA matches.
All Centerfire handguns must be appropriate for holster use - the Match Director/Range Master has the final say.

Last edited:
I've done a few informal steel plate shoots at my club but never any steel challenge matches. Looking forward to attending this match.

Any idea on when these matches usually end? Of course its dependent on how many shooters show up. Just curious of a ballpark time.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late notice but tomorrow might be a "one gun" only day.
I have an event later in the afternoon to get to so we'll have to play it by ear.

Again, sorry for the late notice, just wanted to put this out there for any folks
that this might make a difference to.

Weather should be great tomorrow. I thought we were getting rain but I guess that's not until Saturday night into Sunday.

Sorry for the late notice but tomorrow might be a "one gun" only day.
I have an event later in the afternoon to get to so we'll have to play it by ear.

Again, sorry for the late notice, just wanted to put this out there for any folks
that this might make a difference to.

Will tomorrow a Dave ran match, or a Paul ran match? Either way, I can help RO if needed.

results are up

Don S: Sorry but there were no scores entered for you on the nook or paper for stage 3 & 4

A few other people from squad 5 were missing scores in the nook but I was able to fill them in from paper backup.

Any other scoring issues please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for putting this match together along with the ROs. It was my first time and I don't know if I've had this much fun shooting before[laugh] Apparently I've been missing out on the fun...
I will definitely be back.

Many thanks to Dave P. for organizing and running today's match and to Mike E. for worrying over getting the scores right and out to us.

Still about the most fun you can have standing up!

A late post but better late than never right !!

A HUGE thank you to all the folks that helped out at the match yesterday,
not sure on the total but over 60 shooters I think I heard.
And with that many folks there was no way we'd be able to shoot a 2nd gun,
unless we agreed to tear-down in the dark !!

I did find a pair of Remington muffs (silver) with some clear shooting glasses
on stage 1 at the end of the day, get me a msg and we'll figure out how to get
them back to you.

Hope everyone had a good time, see you next month.

Dave, thanks for the great match. Sorry I couldn't stay for the tear down -- I had to run to get to a commitment.

Dave, thanks for the great match. Sorry I couldn't stay for the tear down -- I had to run to get to a commitment.
Not a problem, we had a ton of help and tear-down went fairly quick, working with geeten and watching him toss around 18 x 24 plates
like 'tater chips was impressive [smile]

And as you all know and have heard many times, these shoots only happen due to everyone helping out, we all need to paint,
clean up brass or what ever else needs doing to make it move along swiftly but not so rushed to make it not fun.

It was great to see a lot of younger folks out there yesterday, I/we've always said this is a great type of shooting sport to get
kids out and enjoy the fun of shooting rather than punching holes in paper.

And, don't thank me for all this, thank all those hard workers that setup the steel, signed you up in the morning, ran you with the timer,
gave you advice or a hearty "don't worry...the next stage will be better" and those younger shooters that just love to run out there and
paint those far targets ([grin])

Last edited:
It was great to see a lot of younger folks out there yesterday, I/we've always said this is a great type of shooting sport to get kids out and enjoy the fun of shooting rather than punching holes in paper.

We had several on our squad. As expected, the teenage girl did a lot better than the teenage boys, much to the later's chagrin. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom