Steel Case Ammo...Educate me

First, I took my new AR15 to the range today for the first time and had a blast!!! Super accurate, and worth every penny [smile]

The only issue is that shooting 223 ammo at 35 cents or so a pop will soon bankrupt me [wink]. I've seen Wolf steel case ammo on sale for much less, but have heard it can screw up the ejector on an AR15. So, is it a safe bet?

223%20FMJ%2055GR.jpg

I guess I could reload, but that's a whole thing I don't want to get into....yet....

I have consistently shot steel case ammo and had no problems. I usually shoot Brown Bear 62g JHP through a 1/7 barrel. It's a little dirty but not excessive. Some of the Russian steel cased ammo has some type of sealant around the bullet and that tends to make a mess after a long while. I've not experienced that but I have heard it reported by others. I see no reason to not shot steel cased ammo, other than it can't be reloaded. As for accuracy, I've seen both sides. Some lots are very accurate and other lots are less accurate. It's adequate range ammo IMHO.

Have shot over 2k rounds of Tula from Cabela's out of my RR lower + BCM upper 1:7. I have had one failure to fire (bad primer) an one failure to eject (partial, case came right out when I cleared it). Compare that to the 2 stove pipes and one failure to fire I've experienced in about 1700rds of brass (Eagle XM193/PMC .223/Salt Lake City XM855) and it seems pretty par for the course.

I've only shot out to 150 yards, so can't comment on long range accuracy but it's dead on shooting at 100yds. Run it for practice and save some money.

the only problems I've ever encountered with Wolf/Barnaul ammo is the laquer getting all over the internals of my rifle (fs2000). The steel cases are covered by it to keep them from rusting. It's easily cleaned.

When compared to xm193, it groups slightly larger at 100 yards. But not by much.

I run steel cased ammo in my AKs and have never had a problem with 7.62x39 flavored ammo, either. It's just typically dirtier than your more expensive brass ammo.

Even if it were bad for your extractor (which I doubt), an extractor is what, 15 bucks? Saving $200 over 1K rounds of ammo easily covers that. No reason not to run it. I just picked up 500 rounds of 62 grain tula, runs so great wish I picked up 2K rounds.

Mike

First, I took my new AR15 to the range today for the first time and had a blast!!! Super accurate, and worth every penny [smile]

The only issue is that shooting 223 ammo at 35 cents or so a pop will soon bankrupt me [wink]. I've seen Wolf steel case ammo on sale for much less, but have heard it can screw up the ejector on an AR15. So, is it a safe bet?

223%20FMJ%2055GR.jpg

I guess I could reload, but that's a whole thing I don't want to get into....yet....

You're in a free state, you can order some brass cased for about the same price you'll pay for Wolf if you search out a distributor with a deal running.

Noobs shoot steel.

On the range, so do some of the experienced. [wink]

Here's my take on it, YMMV

Given that it may be the only ammo available in a situation, it behooves everyone with an AR platform rifle to at the very least see if it functions in their rifle. To not do so is to not know your rifle.
If you might someday depend on that rifle to save your ass, you ought to at least know what it can and cannot use for ammo.

Personally I do not own, nor would I keep a rifle that would not digest Wolf ammo.

As for the wear/breakage myth, I've yet to break an extractor or any other part in a rifle using Wolf ammo. Matter of fact, the only extractor I've ever broken in an AR while on the range was using Sellior&Bellot brass cased 62gr green tip.

Also, keep in mind, that extractors are a dynamic part in a rifle and are subjected to harsh forces that other parts are not. They have a finite lifespan and should be changed regularly....they are cheap and easy to replace. Anyone with an AR should have two or three per gun on hand always.

I've been using Wolf ammo in several calibers since it first hit our shores and have probably saved enough in ammo costs to purchase a few ARs.

I have never, thats right NEVER, had a failure to fire in a Wolf cartridge of any caliber. There isn't any other ammo brand I can make that claim of.

Its not match ammo and you won't get "match results"....you also won't get that "match ammo dent" in your wallet.

Dirty....yes.....rifles were meant to be cleaned during and after firing, get over it. I'll never understand the mindset of people who insist on having a sterile gun after firing a few hundred rounds....it doesn't work that way.

For range ammo, I think Wolf is the best bang for the buck.

also with wolf if you are not happy they refund your unused ammo.........or you can dump to someone who likes to shoot it.

for extended range time and a little saved money wolf is fine.............I have run 2500+ through my AR with just standard cleaning wipe,bore swipe , oil no problems.
As for the "lacquer" cover stuff I have not found any unusual build up of anything but spent gas/powder crud.

Some heavily sealed primers do seem to get the extractor/ejector a little gummed up 7.62x39 heavy red sealant on older wolf/bear ect ect

If it where not for wolf ammo My on gun time would be cut in half maybe more

sparks a flyin

in regards to steel cased ammo ive never had any issues with it in any of my rifles esp my saiga .223 i did try some in my e german makarov and the only thing i noticed ( and didnt care for ) was some sparks flying when it ejected ! i probably wouldnt have noticed it much but i was at an indoor range with the lites dimmed over my station.

Every 5,000 round of steel you shoot you get a free rifle!!
I save 200 bucks a thousand shooting steel and never had a problem. Still on the same extractor. If I don't want that free rifle I just shoot twice as much!! I find there's nothing bad that can be said about steel except that is does shoot a little dirty compared to the brass. I've been shooting steel case for years and will continue to do so. I will let people know if I ever develop a problem.

It's underpowered garbage, but if it works in your rifle, shoot it.

-Mike

Every 5,000 round of steel you shoot you get a free rifle!!
I save 200 bucks a thousand shooting steel and never had a problem.

If the price difference is really $200 a thousand you are paying way too much on the brass cased side.

-Mike

It's underpowered garbage, but if it works in your rifle, shoot it.

-Mike

This.

It doesn't run all that well in my rifle. Cases would eject, but the bolt wouldn't pick up the next round off the mag.

But, if you can get it to work in your rifle....go for it. Just remember to clean out the chamber more often than with brass, as the steel doesn't expand into the chamber as well as brass does...so you get some gas blowing back through the chamber (that, and not the lacquer, is why chambers tend to get dirty with steel ammo)

ive been looking very hard for name brand brass 5.56 other than umc and have yet to see it even closely priced to wolf. WHO locally has brass cased not weak ammo by the case for less than 300.00 ?

the only problems I've ever encountered with Wolf/Barnaul ammo is the laquer getting all over the internals of my rifle (fs2000). The steel cases are covered by it to keep them from rusting. It's easily cleaned.

Try the Silver Bear, still steel case but a lot less laquer.

The new Tula stuff you find at Cabela's is polymer, not lacquer based and doesn't leave crappy buildup in the chamber like the older lacquer coating.

I got a SS Mini14 that has eaten 1000s of Tula, Bear, and Herters, All polymer steel case without a burp or fart. Only jam I ever had was with some Federal I was given from Wally world. Group size is a little larger but for a 50/100 yard platform I got no problem with a 3" group for a plinker. Shop around and it is only 16-17 cents a bang.

Back
Top Bottom