Stechkin

SKS Ray

NES Member
Saw something cool today on Guns and Ammo tv. A segment on a select fire Makarov called the Stechkin. All the years I've been shooting and into guns, I've never even heard of it.

https://youtu.be/k50k8C8TFJc

I'm posting this from a phone with tapatalk so I'm not sure the video link will show.

Daniel Silva writes thrillers about a Mossad guy named Gabriel Allon. There are a lot of books, and the bad guys carry Stechkins in about a quarter of them. The books are okay, but I always laugh; most of his characters Mexican carry full-size service guns, then go leaping and jumping around through cities like Rome.

Seems like a pretty interesting gun.

Very popular with the Soviets in Afghanistan. They were fitted with suppressors and stocks. Shotgun news did a series about them a couple years ago.

stechkin is not a Makarov.
not designed by the same person. similarities are the caliber and that are both a blowback guns

gun was designed for armored, artillery and air crews. as lighter more compact weapon.
it was later replaced with AKS-74U for above mentioned.

however it was retained in service for spec ops use and other covert uses. in the 90ss became popular among MVD/FSB teams for compactness and firepower. at the time russians lacked any worthwhile SMGs and PMs by then outlived it's usefulness.

still very popular back in russia among organized crime element

Last edited:
If Ben touches the Stechkin and I touch Ben... Does that mean I touched the Stechkin too?

If Ben touches the Stechkin and I touch Ben... Does that mean I touched the Stechkin too?

c99b6a16bf3b367cdabd5ae0c067c345.jpg

You've never heard of the Stechkin AP? Oh man. The Makarov on steroids. Really wish someone would make a semi-auto version of one. It would be pretty tough to find pre-ban magazines though, for us MA-holes.

I didn't recognize it at first, until I really checked it out. Then a light bulb popped on in my head when I realized what it was. One of the coolest (if not the coolest) gun I've ever held.

Back
Top Bottom