• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Steady Arm" Device - How Is This Legal ????

Found it:
ATF Rul. 2011-4
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has received requests from individuals to classify pistols that are reconfigured into rifles, for personal use, through the addition of barrels, stocks, and other parts and then returned to a pistol configuration by removal of those components. Specifically, ATF has been asked to determine whether such a pistol, once returned to a pistol configuration from a rifle, becomes a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA).

Some manufacturers produce firearm receivers and attachable component parts that are designed to be assembled into both rifles and pistols. The same receiver can accept an interchangeable shoulder stock or pistol grip, and a long (16 or more inches in length) or short (less than 16 inches) barrel. These components are sold individually, or as unassembled kits. Generally, the kits include a receiver, a pistol grip, a pistol barrel less than 16 inches in length, a shoulder stock, and a rifle barrel 16 inches or more in length. - 2 -

Certain parts or parts sets are also designed to allow an individual to convert a pistol into a rifle without removing a barrel or attaching a shoulder stock to the pistol. These parts consist of an outer shell with a shoulder stock into which the pistol may be inserted. When inserted, the pistol fires a projectile through a rifled extension barrel that is 16 inches or more in length, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more. Other parts sets require that certain parts of the pistol, such as the pistol barrel and the slide assembly, be removed from the pistol frame prior to attaching the parts sets. Typically, a separate barrel is sold with the parts set, which is 16 inches or greater in length. The barrel is installed along with an accompanying shoulder stock. The resulting firearm has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an overall length of 26 inches or more.

The NFA, Title 26, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 53, requires that persons manufacturing, importing, transferring, or possessing firearms as defined in the NFA comply with the Act’s licensing, registration, and taxation requirements. The NFA defines the term "firearm" at 26 U.S.C. 5845(a) to include "(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;" ("short-barreled rifle") and "(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length" ("weapon made from a rifle"). The term "rifle" is defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c) and 27 CFR 479.11 as "a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge." Although not defined in the NFA, the term "pistol" is defined by the Act’s implementing regulations, 27 CFR 479.11, as "a weapon
originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)" (emphasis added).

Full text : http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

So to me it looks like adding that makes it a rifle, so if you do not meet the minimum length requirements you have made a SBR

I don't see how you drew that conclusion from what you pasted. (But then again, I've been known to be slow at times.) The section you bolded mentions "the pistol fires a projectile through a rifled extension barrel" which seems to indicate something that gives you a stock as well as a barrel, as opposed to the OP's picture which appears to be a nothing more than adding a shoulder stock to the original grip.

I have a stock for my Glock 18; it securely attaches to the gun itself. Since it is already a MG I don't have to register it as a SBR.

24yczrk.jpg

My buddy Dennis Foutch used my picture in his advertising (the pic was taken on the line at Knob Creek)

2dbq6tf.jpg

This kind of reminds me of a replacement barrel for shotguns that was advertised years ago.

Figure that the barrel was 20 " from the face of the breech, to the business end.

But - the metal was cut away at an angle, for the front ten inches, with the cut beginning away from the muzzle, at the top, and ending at the muzzle end, which was now a point.

It was billed as being "Exceptionally grab-resistant"; [laugh] reducing muzzle climb, and improving the spread of the shot.

Now....the barrel did extend 20" - there was no break in the material, it was one piece. However, in short order, the ATF said, "Cut it out."

Not sure if the was more forceful action, but they left the market.

Basically, it came down to interpretation as to what constituted the "barrel."

Back
Top Bottom