• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Status of LTC after moving out of state

So I've mentioned a few times that I've moved 2000 miles away from Mass. . . I'll be returning for Christmas and wondering if my LTC is still valid?

I know that when you move, you notify your old chief, your new chief and the CHB. I sent notice to my old chief and the CHB, but my new chief could give 2 shits about Mass requirements.

So when I travel back "home" can I carry on my "old" license, or in theory was I suppose to pay another $100 for and out of state LTC?

I'd like to get some shooting in while there with some friends (maybe even hunt, if my hunting license is still valid too). But would rather not do a year for being stupid

No, your resident LTC is no longer valid. You would have to get a non-resident license to CCW. You can go shooting with your friends, but they'd have to bring the guns, unless it's a pistol or revolver competition or a meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors. Even then I wouldn't bring any guns into the state unless you're planning on going pretty much directly from out of state to and from "the event".

Not sure about hunting. The same law that provides for transportation for competitions also has an exemption for hunting. As far as I can tell that should cover transporting from out of state directly to and from a hunt, and using a gun while hunting, as long as your hunting license is valid.

YMMV. IANAL

Last edited:
No, your resident LTC is no longer valid. You would have to get a non-resident license to CCW. You can go shooting with your friends, but they'd have to bring the guns, unless it's a pistol or revolver competition or a meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors. Even then I wouldn't bring any guns into the state unless you're planning on going pretty much directly from out of state to and from "the event".

Not sure about hunting. The same law that provides for transportation for competitions also has an exemption for hunting. As far as I can tell that should cover transporting from out of state directly to and from a hunt, and using a gun while hunting, as long as your hunting license is valid.

YMMV. IANAL

All correct except for there is no license required for a non-res to possess a non-large capacity long gun and ammo in the state. Transportation laws apply.

Back
Top Bottom