• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Static / Humidity

Hi all, been shooting for 4 years, reloading 1 year. Attended Jim's class last year, and recommend it, been lurking here occasionally since. I used the search function and didn't find any results on static. As you all know, we have static in the winter and humidity in the summer. Just thought I'd ask the experienced loaders how you deal with them? Is static an ignition concern, or just a temporary "magnetic" nuisance? What do you do about humidity? And is there anything that should be done for things like the inside of your loading dies? I assume they can/will rust with neglect, but obviously, oil isn't the kind of thing you'd want anywhere near powder.

Thanks, New Shooter

I tape a dryer sheet around my powder hopper to keep the grains of powder from sticking to the sides of the hopper. I've also tried grounding my press by using alligator clips and wires connected to an outlet and then mounting bolt of the press/bench. Dryer sheets work very well and it's a cheap solution.

I spray down my dies, press, and press ram with Hornady one shot cleaner and dry lube to make sure everything runs smooth and is protected. Doesn't contaminate the powder.

Last edited:
I don't take any precautions really but have the same issues as andrew with the powder measure. I'll try the dryer sheet trick myself, those damn, pesky powder granules.

I spray my powder measures and scale pans with static guard and wipe always worked with out a hitch.

Back
Top Bottom