Static electricity

Ground strap, but only works if you ground yourself too with a wrist strap. Anti-static floor mat (if your area is carpeted). Adding some humidity in the area also significantly helps.

Drop a length of stripped copper wire in the hopper. Tie the wire to ground through a 1 MegOhm resistor. Do the same to yourself with a ground strap. This is important as the resistor will bleed off static without causing an unfortunate spark that levels the neighborhood. Spray the floor with static guard.

I’m just trying to keep powder from sticking to the inside of the hopper
ahh, that... dunno, it is not really doable, i think, to get rid of that.
always happens as the plastic of the measure gets static charges on it no matter what.

i use a very tiny tuft of aluminum xmas garland. i just drop it into the hopper on top of the powder. i keep tweezers near so i can remove it to refill the hopper so i don't have to stick my fingers down inside. they were using the garland in work to dissipate static on certain applications of machinery operations, so i said "why not." does it work for me? yeah, i'd say it works, i don't get the powder stuck to the side of the plastic hopper like i use to. before this i grounded myself and the dump with a strap...i also grabbed that from work.

I’m just trying to keep powder from sticking to the inside of the hopper
It's an issue for me as well, especially in the dead of winter when the air is SOOO dry . Just a quick wipe on the inside of your hopper works great. Unique and Trail Boss are the WORST as far as clinging to the inside of your hopper.

I’ve heard of using glass hopper tubes but don’t know if that works either
I upgraded my Hornady measure to a dramworx glass hopper and it seemed to be SLIGHTLY better with static. But I find the static spray to work well

Same but I don't do anything about powder clinging to the tube, it's just not that big of a deal. I don't leave powder in the measure when I'm done so it's not an issue for me and if does bother me I just tap the side of the hopper tube.
My issue was static would make the powder bridge in the funnel. You would get a couple drops with no powder then the 3rd or 4th would have enough weight to dump the whole piled up mess down into the case.

I had bought a sweater from the store that had a ton of static, it drove me crazy so I returned it and they gave me a new one................it was free of charge.

<rimshot>

Thanks folks, I'm here till 5pm.

i cut dryer sheets into strips, place them inside the powder, as i pour, and use the powder funnel cap to hold the strip as i fold it over the top

Is this a non-problem that we’re desperate to find a solution for?

I can’t imagine any scenario that this becomes a REAL problem unless a static spark is capable of igniting a hopper full of smokeless?
Reason why I posted this is because I don't store my powder in the hopper if I'm not going to use it soon. When dumping out or changing powder the powder sticks in the hopper and is hard to get out. I'm not concerned about sparking.

My issue was static would make the powder bridge in the funnel. You would get a couple drops with no powder then the 3rd or 4th would have enough weight to dump the whole piled up mess down into the case.
I'm trying out a new powder hopper vibrator that I printed. seems to make charges more consistent.

Back
Top Bottom