• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

States that accept MA LTC

ArmySGTPM

Army Veteran
I know that there are a select group of states that except the MA LTC permit for carry in their states. Anyone know if restrictions still apply, like those of us in Boston who only receive restricted Class A LTCs can we carry in states that except the MA LTC?
I know this may be an obvious question but just curious....

Not obvious at all, at least not to me.

I'd say that a restricted (to no carry) license from MA may be interpreted differently in other states (that would accept a MA LTC), depending on the officer that stopped you. I'd assess it as "risky business" and get an unrestricted license from some third-party state that would allow you to unquestionably carry wherever you want to go.

I have a letter from the Texas DPS enclosing a copy of a proclamation from the Governor that Massachusetts LTCs will be recognized. I'm not aware of any other state that unilaterally recognizes a Massachusetts LTC.

Go to NRA.ILA they have a state by state list of what the reciprocity laws are
Actually , i just took a basic handgun class last weekend and they covered this.
No one recognizes Mass because Mass recognizes no one.
e technicality is that many states (12 or so) recognize any states permit (which by default include mass)

Texas is where I plan on going so that's good....only problem is that mass doesn't even recognize my class A Ltc...restricted due to being issued by Boston. I assume it would be too risky to carry on it in TX. I'm just being impatient sincegetting my utah ccw but don't think it will arrive in time before travels

Not obvious at all, at least not to me.

Me neither :)

In the old days, one would have a MA LTC which noted the "reason" for which it was issued. Thanks to some effective lobbying, the licenses now bear the nomenclature "Restriction" and an effective argument can be made that someone with such a license is not licensed to "carry" in all but the rather atypical MA definition of that term.

PA generally issues within a day or two (Centre County, PA), and is recognized by TX.

Last edited:
Texas will honor your MA LTC but with RESTRICTIONS. If your MA LTC restricts you to target and whatever, then Texas will frown on you carrying concealed. Will they throw you in jail? Probably not but it's your a$$, so do what you think is best. Being in possession of a handgun with a MA permit is a big <yawn> to the officer.

PLEASE NOTE: YOU ARE REQUIRED TO NOTIFY ANY LEO THAT YOU ARE ARMED AND PRESENT YOUR PERMIT AT THE INITIAL STOP! THIS DIFFERS FROM MA LAW. HAND YOUR DL AND LTC TO HIM WHEN HE ASKS AND INFORM HIM THAT YOU HAVE A FIREARM IN YOUR POSSESSION and all will be well. Enjoy Texas!

I have a letter from the Texas DPS enclosing a copy of a proclamation from the Governor that Massachusetts LTCs will be recognized. I'm not aware of any other state that unilaterally recognizes a Massachusetts LTC.

Texas is the only one. They do that because the MA laws that qualify a citizen to carry a handgun are more stringent than Texas laws. In short if you can jump through all the hoops that MA requires and still get a permit to carry then you would qualify under TX laws to possess a handgun. Very big of them to make the gesture.

Missouri, Michigan, and Indiana accept ALL LTCs from any state regardless of reciprocity.

Texas is where I plan on going so that's good....only problem is that mass doesn't even recognize my class A Ltc...restricted due to being issued by Boston. I assume it would be too risky to carry on it in TX. I'm just being impatient sincegetting my utah ccw but don't think it will arrive in time before travels

Get a Texas non-resident license and be done with it.

I'd assess it as "risky business" and get an unrestricted license from some third-party state that would allow you to unquestionably carry wherever you want to go.

This. Get Utah or Florida, you'll be able to carry in more than half the US with either one of those, even more with both.

Go to NRA.ILA they have a state by state list of what the reciprocity laws are

Use them as a starting point to read the laws on your own, or to get a general idea of things. Read the actual laws if you want to avoid breaking them.

Remember, in Texas glove compartment carry is legal without a permit. If you don't want to risk anything that might be a viable option for you.

In the old days, one would have a MA LTC which noted the "reason" for which it was issued. Thanks to some effective lobbying, the licenses now bear the nomenclature "Restriction" and an effective argument can be made that someone with such a license is not licensed to "carry" in all but the rather atypical MA definition of that term.

In just about every case, when the Mass. courts and MGL's says "carry" they mean "carry." The issue is that LTC's get issued with restrictions, which are separate from the "carry" part.

There are actually 14 states that either recognize your MA resident LTC or don't require any license or permit. Some of those are because the MA training requirements are at least as strict as theirs, others because they accept any state's permit. Obviously none are due to reciprocity.

Ken

Missouri, Michigan, and Indiana accept ALL LTCs from any state regardless of reciprocity.

So does Vermont. :)

So does Oklahoma, but it wasn't when Timothy McVeigh got spotted with a G21 under his shirt.

Pardon my ignorance, but WTH is "restriction" on the Boston LTC and what does it mean?

I'm guessing there's a typo in your post here. I've never seen a Boston LTC in person, but I believe that the restrictions that they impose specifically bar concealed carry.

So this thread hasn't been touched in quite some time and the main question was never really clearly answered that I could see. Possibly it is answered in another thread, but I haven't found it. I am researching this for this reason:

I have a MA LTC restricted (Woburn sucks). I also have NH and ME, non-resident LTC. Michigan for example will only honor an LTC from your home state. That said has there been any clear answer on whether that means while in MI I still cannot carry concealed due to the MA restriction. My guess is for any of the states reciprocal with MA I would need to clarify with that state but I figured someone hear would likely know.

ETA - It looks like the only states really in question are TX, MI and MT since I have the ME and NH non-resident permits. I spend time in MI which is the basis of the research.

Last edited:
So this thread hasn't been touched in quite some time and the main question was never really clearly answered that I could see. Possibly it is answered in another thread, but I haven't found it. I am reasearching this for this reason:

I have a MA LTC restricted (Woburn sucks). I also have NH and ME, non-resident LTC. Michigan for example will only honor an LTC from your home state. That said has there been any clear answer on whether that means while in MI I still cannot carry concealed due to the MA restriction. My guess is for any of the states reciprocal with MA I would need to clarify with that state but I figured someone hear would likely know.

I wish I could give you an answer, but I fear that their may be ~45 potentially different ones. Each state sets their own rules on reciprocity and you really need to check with them.

Not that it really matters but since I got an answer (and what I expected), here is the answer from Michigan state police.

Mr.....,

For purposes of carrying a concealed pistol, Michigan law, MCL 750.231a, recognizes a valid license to carry a concealed pistol issued by another state to a resident of the issuing state, except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license. If you have a "hunting and target" restriction on your license that only allows you to carry concealed while engaged in one of those activities, then you may only carry a concealed pistol when you are engaged in one of those activities in Michigan.

Sincerely,

Sgt.xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Legislative and Legal Resources Section
Office of the Director
Michigan State Police
P. O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48909

So this thread hasn't been touched in quite some time and the main question was never really clearly answered that I could see. Possibly it is answered in another thread, but I haven't found it. I am researching this for this reason:

ETA - It looks like the only states really in question are TX, MI and MT since I have the ME and NH non-resident permits. I spend time in MI which is the basis of the research.

Texas will accept your LTC for concealed carry. Gov. Perry issued a unilateral reciprocity statement on 11-18-2005.

I have a copy if you need it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom