State Trooper Versus Boston PD Officer: State Trooper Wins!

J

JellyFish

Trooper, cop brawl at concert
By Michele McPhee
Boston Herald Police Bureau Chief
Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - Updated: 01:35 AM EST

A state trooper and a Boston cop are under investigation after they allegedly brawled outside the Faith Hill/Tim McGraw concert at the TD Banknorth Garden late Monday night, a fight that sent the city officer to the hospital in an ambulance.

The Boston cop, Edward MacPherson, remained out injured yesterday after he was treated and released at Massachusetts General Hospital. Trooper Robert Grover of the state police Marine Section, refused medical aid at the scene.

The two cops - both in uniform - began to argue loudly as the Garden emptied out about 11 p.m., a dispute that escalated into a full-on rumble, sources said. Grover was reportedly angry about the way MacPherson was directing limousine traffic outside 11 Causeway St. The fight was witnessed by dozens of country music fans in cowboy hats and fringe vests.

MacPherson was working a paid detail at the country concert and is out of work injured by the fight, said BPD spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll. She refused further comment. It was unclear what Grover’s role was at the event. A state police spokesman could not be reached last night.

It is the third incident of violence involving local cops this month. On June 7, off-duty state Trooper Joseph A. Gray was stabbed four times during an altercation with a Dorchester man in Chinatown. Meanwhile, two Boston cops are under investigation after Officer Paul Durkin allegedly shot Officer Joseph Behnke in the hip after a night of partying last week.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=145940&format=text

The Trooper didn't win anything. He and maybe the Boston cop will be disciplined. This does nothing but add to Mumbles' ammo as to why the SP's shouldn't be "helping" in the city.

The Trooper will be assigned to checking stickers in the Beartown State Forest.

Sad day for both. One will obviously get the weekend (and probably more) off for the job related injury while the other will be out on the water checking equipment.

Who won???? Maybe the one on vacation now [wink] 72%

Just underscores what a mess things are in Boston and the Metro area. Mumble's policies obviously have things so messed up morale is at an all time low, and beginning to manifest itself in the incidents we're seeing more and more of concerning the BPD. It'll only get worse, and if Reilly or his ilk get control of the state, we can expect a state-wide quagmire very similar in nature.

"The two cops - both in uniform - began to argue loudly as the Garden emptied out about 11 p.m., a dispute that escalated into a full-on rumble, sources said. Grover was reportedly angry about the way MacPherson was directing limousine traffic outside 11 Causeway St. The fight was witnessed by dozens of country music fans in cowboy hats and fringe vests."

Should have read like this...."
"The two cops - both in uniform - began to argue loudly as the Garden emptied out about 11 p.m., a dispute that escalated into a full-on rumble, sources said. Grover was reportedly angry about the way MacPherson was directing limousine traffic outside 11 Causeway St. Citizens were called to the scene to watch the careers of these officers getting flushed into the toilet."

I'm sure the fight did a lot to move the traffic along......NOT!!!!

In uniform... [sad] Bad enough if it had been in civies.. I hope they have another career lined up.

I'm still not impressed by the role of the Road Nazis here in MA. Seems to be a lot of hot air and fancy dress.

But that's just me.

RJ

The SP investigate every homicide in the state except in Boston and Worcester. They have a highly successful Fugitive Unit, drug units, gang units, OC units, white collar crime units, Airwing, mounted unit, mc units, etc. They already have 4 barracks which patrol areas in Boston (that's including the Milton Barracks, which has areas in Mattapan, JP, W Roxbury).

Regarding the fight, both those guys are nitwits and should be severly spanked.

Re your comments about hot air and nazis, what's behind that statement? Too many tickets? You're full of hot air, clueless, or full of crap. But that's just me.

EW

Last edited:
Here are a couple of "read between the lines" items for your consideration.

The trooper is assigned to the MSP Marine Unit.
Said unit is directly behind the Boston Garden and IIRC, is only accessible from Causeway Street.
11:00PM would be a good guess for shift change time at the Marine Unit.
Limosines parked on Causeway Street would more than likely block Beverly Street.

Draw your own conclusions.

Gary

Garys said:
Here are a couple of "read between the lines" items for your consideration.

The trooper is assigned to the MSP Marine Unit.
Said unit is directly behind the Boston Garden and IIRC, is only accessible from Causeway Street.
11:00PM would be a good guess for shift change time at the Marine Unit.
Limosines parked on Causeway Street would more than likely block Beverly Street.

Draw your own conclusions.

Gary

nice observation!

Eamonn said:
<SNIP>
We agree on that. :)

Eamonn said:
Re your comments about hot air and nazis, what's behind that statement? Too many tickets? You're full of hot air, clueless, or full of crap. But that's just me.EW

We've had this discussion on another thread, the name eludes me for the moment, but no, I've never gotten a ticket in Mass since I moved here in 97. My interaction comes through other sources, unrelated to their much-vaunted law enforcement abilities. I have yet to see anything that would confirm that reputation.

We all get our opinion here, I gave mine, you gave yours.

RJ

Meanwhile, two Boston cops are under investigation after Officer Paul Durkin allegedly shot Officer Joseph Behnke in the hip after a night of partying last week.

It's unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alchohol or drugs, you can get up to 10 years for that, and it should apply to everyone.

Eamonn said:

And then the oral.... opps...

Give people the ability to carry a gun and soon little traffic disputes will get violent like the OK Corral.

Man all I was picturing was a local sheriff and the US Marshal gettin' it on while the townsfolk looked on making side bets as the saloon empties out onto the dusty street.

Chris said:
<SNIP>

Man all I was picturing was a local sheriff and the US Marshal gettin' it on while the townsfolk looked on making side bets as the saloon empties out onto the dusty street.

Ahh. the Old West days.... [smile]

RJ

Savage110FP said:
It's unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alchohol or drugs, you can get up to 10 years for that, and it should apply to everyone.

I can't find that one in my copy of the law. Do you have a cite for it, or is it just something that somebody once claimed?

The SP investigate every homicide in the state except in Boston and Worcester. They have a highly successful Fugitive Unit, drug units, gang units, OC units, white collar crime units, Airwing, mounted unit, mc units, etc. They already have 4 barracks which patrol areas in Boston (that's including the Milton Barracks, which has areas in Mattapan, JP, W Roxbury).[

Not to mention that in some parts of western MA they are the ONLY law in some small towns, with help up to 45 min away. That said, I believe they may have a new trooper for the boonies.

Bolt308 said:
Not to mention that in some parts of western MA they are the ONLY law in some small towns, with help up to 45 min away. That said, I believe they may have a new trooper for the boonies.

Hate to tell you at times it takes a whole lot longer. I live in the sticks of western MA.

Back
Top Bottom