• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

State senators debate tougher fines for hunting violations (Mass.)

People who have violated the law in other states can currently still hunt here, according to Pittsfield State Senator Adam Hinds.

“So if somebody has violated these poaching provisions, they could come here and still get licenses and continue to do their hunting,” said Senator Hinds.

What's the point? If you're trying to eliminate poaching, why does it make sense to not allow someone who's poached to purchase a hunting license? It seems to me they're going to hunt one way or another, so why eliminate the legal way?

$50.00 fine for first offense and make them buy a hunting license.
$150.00 fine for second offense and make them buy a sporting license and a saltwater fishing license.
Third offense impose the stricter rules as they obviously haven't learned.

How is this even a problem in this state? We're not exactly overrun with trophy bucks, though turkeys are actually overpopulated from what I've seen.

This seems like an attempt at stealing more money, and if they increased the jail time enough in some cases to create additional PPs and strip away guns.

Can't imagine this is much of a problem here, unless Asians in MA are going after bears to grow their peepees. It's a thing go look it up. That said I can't imagine MA has a poaching problem. The idea of banning people who have hunting offenses in other states seems like a bit of over reach, and the last sentence from this is troubling: 'The bill would increase penalties for illegally hunting bears, deer and endangered species. In addition to fines, hunters could face imprisonment in certain cases under the bill.'
Something for lawmakers to do and as a bonus another brick on the backs of Heritage Americans.

Can't imagine this is much of a problem here, unless Asians in MA are going after bears to grow their peepees. It's a thing go look it up. That said I can't imagine MA has a poaching problem. The idea of banning people who have hunting offenses in other states seems like a bit of over reach, and the last sentence from this is troubling: 'The bill would increase penalties for illegally hunting bears, deer and endangered species. In addition to fines, hunters could face imprisonment in certain cases under the bill.'
Something for lawmakers to do and as a bonus another brick on the backs of Heritage Americans.

any laws that make gun owners felons is what they are looking to do. This is blatant as most hunters in Mass are gun owners. This is another attack directly on law abiding citizens. My guess is there will be some very questionable language in the bill that screws over some hunters.

Notice they do not increase penalties for illegals or gang related crimes. More attacks by an oppressive government on law abiding citizens.

I can't believe that poaching is a problem down here. Many times (not always) poaching is done by people in order to feed their families. Other times is just a case of sport killing and it happens a lot up north. The last one I'm aware of was a the killing of an eagle.

However it is my understanding according to the Asians there is no such thing as a short fish.

What a joke.
There's barely anyone hunting in this state anymore , never mind poaching.
A lot of the guys I know that hunted have chucked it in because of the bullshit in this state.
I could spend a whole night typing out the cheap shit asshattery of the clam cops.
I'll give one good example of what it's like to hunt here..

There was a local guy in his 80's who due to his age just used to limp down to a stump out on the back of his property and sit for an hour or two during the season.
That's about all he could manage.
One day luck smiled on him and a deer actually came by and he shot it.
He called my buddy to help him get it out and take it down to check it in.
When they got there the ponytailed shithead at the checking station told him he had a problem.
He had partially torn the second deer tag on his license while detatching the first.

The guy tells him he needs to come back in an hour. So he did
There where five of the boys in green waiting there, when they walked in.
Long story short, they "Confiscated" his deer and took his license because he tore a piece of paper.
My buddy came damn close to going off the deep end over it.
He told them what he was going on was elderly abuse.
They told him, Why don't you go wait in the truck , to which he responded , how about I don't ?
They pretty much just ripped off what was probably the last deer the old fella was ever going to get for some venison for their own freezers because none of them could probably get one on their own on a bet and because f*ck you we can.

This is all just one more way to harass hunters and gun owners , nothing more.

@Dad...
That's outrageous....

Agreed poachers suck. But I don't think they're that big of a problem. As a hunter I run into other hunters all the time. Do I see them break rules - yea... the most common being carrying while archery hunting. Seems no one obeys that dumb ass law. But I;ve never seen anyone hunting on Sunday, out of season, etc... and I spend a lot of time in the woods... If I'm not hunting I'm scouting for new spots and that's pretty much every weekend from Jan until May......

What they should be debating is getting rid of the stupid ban on hunting on Sunday...

What a joke.
A lot of the guys I know that hunted have chucked it in because of the bullshit in this state.
I could spend a whole night typing out the cheap shit asshattery of the clam cops.

There was a local guy in his 80's who due to his age just used to limp down to a stump out on the back of his property and sit for an hour or two during the season.
When they got there the ponytailed shithead at the checking station told him he had a problem.
He had partially torn the second deer tag on his license while detatching the first.

Long story short, they "Confiscated" his deer and took his license because he tore a piece of paper.
They told him, Why don't you go wait in the truck , to which he responded , how about I don't ?
They pretty much just ripped off what was probably the last deer the old fella was ever going to get for some venison for their own freezers because none of them could probably get one on their own on a bet and because f*ck you we can.

I hope these d-bags rot for that. I can't imagine how I would react if that was my grandfather. I'd lose my shit for sure.

In western and northern NY illegal killing of deer a sizable issue. Many arrests made but local judges gave token slaps on wrist many time fine less than cost of licenses. New tougher penalties are good start. Many states increasing penalties including reimbursement of cost of deer. Jack light a big buck could cost u big bucks and rifle and car if you were dump enough to use car to light deer.

I and most sportsman are supportive. I don't buy they are poaching them in season to feed a family any more than they are just turning their life around.

What a joke. Like MA doesn't have bigger problems to worry about.
I live around the corner from the central MA Environmental LE HQ in Westboro. Go by there on a Saturday and the parking lot is jammed with patrol vehicles and office closed during hunting season....

I know a HS English teacher in VT that assigned a paper topic was how to do something. Girl wrote a paper about dear hunting, with spotlights, cause that's how her family always did it. She didn't know it was illegal. In the rural areas I have no doubt the poaching is about filling the freezer. In MA no way, we're either too wealthy or well fed by the state.

The object in MA. is to drive hunting into extinction.
These clowns are more than happy to do their part in it.
If you hunt , you are the enemy and will be treated as such by these morons.
I have never had a positive interaction with them in the last 40 years.

I had one who I looked into after one unpleasant encounter just out of curiousity .
Come to find out he was turned down by five PD's before landing up a warden.
Not shocked .

Contrast that with other states.
A buddy went to PA. to try bear hunting.
He ran into a Warden who actually told him to jump in the truck and took him to a good spot to set up and told him good luck, get a big one.

Here there would be six of them waiting to nail you for something like your orange vest was 499 inches of orange instead of 500 when you came out of the woods.

The reason I say when you come out of the woods, is they don't go in the woods much around here after all the death threats they got after on of them shot an unarmed clammer in the back for walking away from him.
Put the guy in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

All I want to know is this somehow going to help with the opioid problem we have here on the Cape?[slap]

Must be those poachers causing all the problems...[rofl]

Is it illegal to be an illegal hunter here in MA?
Because Martha said so...:)

How is this even a problem in this state? We're not exactly overrun with trophy bucks, though turkeys are actually overpopulated from what I've seen.

This seems like an attempt at stealing more money, and if they increased the jail time enough in some cases to create additional PPs and strip away guns.
Not all of us hunt trophy bucks. The deer population is massive in mass.....and sure filled my freezer this year! The current management plan for white tail deer in mass is in place to reduce the total population in zones 9-14......antlerless tags are almost unlimited in eastern mass with zone 10 hunters only purchasing about half of the antlerless tags authorized! If you are hunting for 80 to 140 pound deer for your freezer eastern mass is full of opportunities and I personally know 4 new Hampshire residents that buy mass hunting licenses and hunt zones 9 and 10 just to fill their freezers. It's not always about "trophy" bucks.

True that the number of hunters in mass is low. I have been hunting now since 2012 and am a "later in life" hunter. I've had some good success thanks to some good army buddies mentoring me. I have now talked 3 good friends into getting their hunting licenses and will be hunting with them next year. As hunters we need to get more people involved.....and I'm still out there chasing rabbits....hunting season is not over for me yet.

Last edited:
What a joke.

I have never heard of any story like this in the past with the mass epos. The ones I've encountered have all been professional. Out of curiosity......what offense did they hit him for? Ripping the 2nd tag is nowhere to be found in the abstract. In fact you can reprint your own tag on your home computer if you lose it so not sure where the epos we're going with the ripped second tag. So...........what did they fine him for.....exactly?

Last edited:
I've run into one particular EPO in Medfield who goes out of his way to find things unlawful to charge us with. On more than one occasion this a**h*** shows up at the trucks.

Not all of us hunt trophy bucks. The deer population is massive in mass.....and sure filled my freezer this year! The current management plan for white tail deer in mass is in place to reduce the total population in zones 9-14......antlerless tags are almost unlimited in eastern mass with zone 10 hunters only purchasing about half of the antlerless tags authorized! If you are hunting for 80 to 140 pound deer for your freezer eastern mass is full of opportunities and I personally know 4 new Hampshire residents that buy mass hunting licenses and hunt zones 9 and 10 just to fill their freezers. It's not always about "trophy" bucks.

True that the number of hunters in mass is low. I have been hunting now since 2012 and am a "letter in life" hunter. I've had some good success thanks to some good army buddies mentoring me. I have now talked 3 good friends into getting their hunting licenses and will be hunting with them next year. As hunters we need to get more people involved.....and I'm still out there chasing rabbits....hunting season is not over for me yet.

But that's exactly my point. It's not hard to get all the tags you want. Poaching is generally about trophies or filling your freezer. Filling your freezer is not as difficult as it is in other places, and our selection of trophy animals is not worth the effort when you can go elsewhere and find larger ones much easier.

But that's exactly my point. It's not hard to get all the tags you want. Poaching is generally about trophies or filling your freezer. Filling your freezer is not as difficult as it is in other places, and our selection of trophy animals is not worth the effort when you can go elsewhere and find larger ones much easier.
Im not sure I follow what your saying. Are you saying poachers go after trophy animals or freezer animals?

My thought it that actual "poaching" of deer in mass (hunting out of season, hunting without a license, taking antlerless deer without a tag) is not that common based on the relatively inexpensive price of a hunting license, density of deer in most zones, availability of antlerless tags in most zones, and low number of hunters.

Back
Top Bottom