• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

State Rep. James Miceli is backing GOAL's Senate Bill 1580

yanici

NES Member
My State rep., D-James Miceli shows why he's rated A+ with GOAL. I just received his reply on Senate Bill 1580 that GOAL is pushing. Thanks, Jim. Here's what he has to say: highlighted "adamantly in favor"

Dear John,

Representative Miceli has received your email regarding, “An Act Relative to the Common Defense”. The Representative would like you to know that he is adamantly in favor of this legislation.

Thank you for your interest and concern,

Nancy Cadigan

Administrative Assistant

State Representative James R. Miceli

19th Middlesex District

Wilmington/Tewksbury

phone 617-722-2460

fax 617-722-2353

My response from Senator Richard Moore

Moore, Richard (SEN)
to Timothy, Jared, me

"The bill has not yet had its public hearing. It is scheduled to be heard by the Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, October 27. I will contact the Committee in support of the bill.

Senator Richard T. Moore

The following Senators were CC'd on the e-mail response from Senator Moore:

"Greene, Timothy (SEN)" <[email protected]>,
"Cain, Jared (SEN)" <[email protected]>

State Senator Tarr is behind this bill and urging others to get this passed. Here is his letter filed on Tuesday.

Please call your legislators in support of this bill. Contact info here

November 3, 2009

Senator Cynthia Stone Creem, Chairwoman
Joint Committee on the Judiciary
Room 416-B, State House
Boston, MA 02133

Representative Eugene L. O’Flaherty, Chairman
Joint Committee on the Judiciary
Room 136, State House
Boston, MA 02133

Dear Chairwoman Creem and Chairman O’Flaherty,

We are writing today in support of S. 1580, “An Act Relative to the Common Defense”. This bill, which received its public hearing on October 27th, would provide needed legal protection to those who act in defense of themselves and others in response to a potentially lethal situation.

From the recent events occurring at a Massachusetts General Hospital building last week, it is clear that the use of a firearm to protect the safety of others is regrettably sometimes necessary. Current Massachusetts law, however, does not explicitly protect the right of citizens to act in the defense of others when they are at risk of great personal injury or death. This omission risks jeopardizing those who would prevent harm from occurring by subjecting them to criminal and civil liability for taking action to defend the lives of others. S. 1580 would provide explicit protection for those who use force, including deadly force, to protect themselves or others from great personal injury or death, so long as the belief that the danger that existed was reasonable and that the actor was entitled to be in that place where action was taken.

Failing to pass S. 1580 will perpetrate the unacceptable situation of allowing an individual who bravely acts to defend others from a lethal threat to be subjected to substantial penalties. Our obligation to promote public safety demands that this situation be corrected.

We therefore request that the Joint Committee on the Judiciary report S. 1580 favorably as soon as possible. Thank you for your consideration of this request, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Bruce Tarr
State Senator

Bump, please see post #3, Jim just called me saying that we need to get on this fast, please call your legislators today and urge them to sign onto Senator Tarr's Letter!

Jim Miceli is great, as stated above, but my Senator, Sue Tucker's responce was in the form of a newsletter that did not even try to answer my email. I re-sent the email, thanking her for the newsletter, and requested her help on this. She just doesn't want to communicate. Not the first time I've had bad communication with her.

Here is a listing of the Co-Sponsors to date. They have all signed onto Senator Tarr's letter of support for this bill.

Rep. Todd M. Smola
Rep. Denis E. Guyer
Rep. Robert S. Hargraves
Rep. Susan Williams Gifford
Rep. Stephen DiNatale
Rep. John F. Quinn
Rep. George N. Peterson, Jr.
Sen. Michael O. Moore
Sen. James E. Timilty
Rep. John D. Keenan
Sen. Michael R. Knapik
Rep. John J. Binienda
Rep. Christopher J. Donelan
Rep. Lewis G. Evangelidis
Rep. Anne M. Gobi
Rep. Donald F. Humason, Jr.
Rep. William G. Greene, Jr.
Rep. James Arciero
Rep. Jeffrey D. Perry
Rep. Karyn E. Polito
Rep. Paul K. Frost
Rep. James H. Fagan
Rep. Stephen Kulik
Sen. Susan C. Tucker
Rep. Angelo J. Puppolo, Jr.
Rep. Paul Kujawski

If your legislators are not on this list, please call them and urge them to sign onto Senator Tarr's letter, if they have not already.

Find your legislators here, please call both of them!

Last edited:
... but my Senator, Sue Tucker's responce was in the form of a newsletter that did not even try to answer my email. I re-sent the email, thanking her for the newsletter, and requested her help on this. She just doesn't want to communicate. Not the first time I've had bad communication with her.

Senator Tucker has signed on as a co-sponsor. Even though she didn't communicate to me, I thank her. My apologies to the Senator.

Back
Top Bottom