• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

state police showed up at my private range yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going out on a limb here because I don't know the whole story, but in this particular incident (and I'm only speaking to this single event) - it sounds like the guy was away from home, a neighbor or somebody saw a person trying doors and windows on his house while he was away, so they called the police. Police showed up, and instead of saying "it's my house, I lost my keys, just got home from vacation or wherever" or whatever, he went on a tirade about civil rights and shit.

Seems like a far cry from opening closed gates and drawing down on people and breaking their balls. Now, the cops may have been a lot more dickish than I remember reading in the news, and the news usually isn't too accurate anyways, but I really don't see where they went too far out of line. At least up to the point they jammed him up for disturbing the peace or whatever the hell it was. Once it turned out it was the guys house, why not de-escalate things, apologize for the confusion, explain that they received a call from someone concerned that someone was trying his doors and windows while he was away, and wish him a good night? THAT'S the part where things went off the rails there, in my view.

Sooooooo, why did you quote my post to explain that?

My post was in response to SalemCat usually ballsucking cops in general as he's so fearful he might piss one or many off.

I just tossed in Skippy Gate's likely sentiments for good measure as I'm sure he hasn't changed his stripes, no matter how many beers they drank in the rosegarden.

You guys dont know the reason why they show up and certainly dont answer a question right of the bat with "do you have a warrant to be on my property" that tells me that you have something to hide. Don't get me wrong I'm all for rights i think this county is taking them away but thats the wrong way to go about it.

obvious contradicition is obvious. i don't need to go into any kind of personal attack as you make yourself look bad enough already. there are a lot of really good dudes on this forum, and you appear to not be one of them. yes, i read your other thread as well.

you're no better than any of us, lose the "justice and then there's just us" mentality and maybe you'll realize that when you find yourself to be coming into contact with a**h***s all day that it's not the people you meet that have the problem. know what i mean?

there are plenty of cops on here who are perfectly fine individuals and they don't go flipping their shit like this or trying to explain away anyone's 4th amendment rights as you did in the post i just quoted.

3 friends and i did some shooting yesterday, like we do almost every saturday, on my property in lebanon. CSP has showed up at my neighbors house a few miles up the road several times for noise complaints when he shoots, but I have never had any problems from the CSP at my place, but yesterday that changed.

Let me explain my set up. I live in a very rural area and my range is located on my parent's farm that is 150 acres which surrounded by more farmland. There are CL&P powerlines that run through my land and CL&P built a very nice gravel road that runs through, we drive out on the road, which is gated at all ends with no tresspassing signs, and shoot in about a 1/2 mile square area along the road. Just to be clear, I own this road and the property it is on, CL&P leased it a long time ago and cannot even access it to work on the 345 lines without notifying my father or myself. We do a lot of run and gun shooting so we are usually in various forms of "tactical" attire.

So yesterday my friend billy and I were out shooting for about 2 hours before my friend jason showed up. when jason was at the entrance, which is about 3/4 mile from the range, he called me so we would cease fire, because we shoot back towards the road sometimes. as jason was driving his truck in, after shutting and dummy locking the gate behind him, he saw 2 state cops on the town road that borders my property, they noticed him driving up onto the power lines and stopped. jason had no reason to talk to them or to think he was being pursued, so he continued up the lines out of their sight. When he got to the range he mentioned seeing them to me, and since i knew of them previously harassing the neighbor i figured we would cease fire for a few minutes and wait for them to either leave or attempt to contact us. So we waited about 10 minutes shooting the shit and i look up on the road 300 yards away and sure as shit here comes a CSP Explorer driving past all my long range targets. So we put our rifles and handguns down in our vehicles, stepped away from them, and waited for them to get down to us.

The two officers in the car, one we will call Roidrage Jack Booted Thug, the other we will call Short Fat And Bald, step out about 50 yards from us, hands on their guns.

RJBT: red in the face, veins popping, and with his hand on his handgun "ARE ANY OF YOU ARMED?!?!?"
All of us: "No we disarmed when we saw you coming down the road."
SFAB: "Are the magazines in your vest loaded?"
Me: "Yes"
SFAB: "whos the guy in the blue truck?"
Jason: "it was me"
RJBT: "why did you run from us? i was shouting at you to stop"
Jason: "I was inside my truck 100 yards away from you, i could not hear or see you yelling at me, and you did not have you lights or siren on."
RJBT: says something along the lines of "that doesnt matter you should have stopped"

They ask us all for identification, we comply. SFAB is talking with me, RJBT moves over towards our vehicles and is calling in our drivers licenses and snooping on our weapons.

SFAB: "Who's property is this"
Me: "mine"
SFAB: starts the good cop bad cop thing, "this is a nice setup"
Me: "did we do something wrong, do you have a warrant to be on my private property and to search my vehicles? What authority did you have to open my gate and enter my property?"
SFAB: "Dont be tough, we can be tough too, we have probable cause because RJBT told your friend to stop and he did not"
Jason: "Was there any reason for you to stop me? does my vehicle match the description of a vehicle used in a crime?"
SFAB: "No but when an officer tells you to stop and you dont stop it looks suspicious and we are going to follow up on that"
RJBT: picks up billy's 1911 off the tailgate of billy's truck and is trying to rack the slide, but the safety is on, then comes back over to us and gives us our licenses. "What are you guys shooting out here?"
Me: "AR15's, M1A's, and handguns mostly."
RJBT: "You guys are lucky we are level headed, when we saw you in tactical vests and everything we were getting ready to LIGHT YOU GUYS UP"

We all kind of laugh, because when they came down the path we were all holding fully loaded .308 battle rifles. Did this clown really think he could "light us up" from 100 yards away with an M&P40?

Me: "Is there a problem with me shooting here? Clearly everything is done safely. Did someone make a complaint? is that why you were in the area?"
SFAB: "No we were responding to an alarm call and saw (jason) driving off into the woods and thought it looked suspicious"
Me: sarcastically, "someone driving in a field in lebanon is definitely suspicious"
RJBT: Points at my AR15 "what is that?"
Me: "A preban AR"
SFAB: "Oh preban eh? nice"
RJBT: "Can you make that weapon safe so i can check it out?" not for safety or legal reasons he just wanted to look at it.
Me: "sure"

So they kind of chilled out and bullshit with us about shooting for a bit, asked us some questions about the CMMG .22 conversions and other crap we were using. SFAB is our resident trooper and told me he has problems when he shoots on his land with his neighbor. They both make approving comments of one of billy's anti obama stickers, blah blah blah.

Then, RJBT asks me: "so you guys aren't shooting in the direction of these houses right?" Points to a house about a mile away on a hill behind my range.
Me: "No as you can see we start on the bottom end of the road and run up the road shooting the plates as we go"
RJBT: "So your shooting up towards the road we drove in on? Is that safe?"
Me: "Well normally people dont open my gates and drive down un-invited past all the posted signs, you guys are lucky we werent shooting those far plates when you came around the corner, you could have gotten lit up accidentally."

We bullshit back and forth for a few minutes and they left. They seemed like pretty decent guys once the bullshit adrenaline tough guy attitudes wore off. Im friends with a couple of the other officers they work with, one has even shot out there with me, and i have met SFAB a few times prior.

But anyways the whole situation left me with a feeling of: wow i need to read up on my rights, and learn about what the police can and cant do, and what i can and cant allow them to do, so i dont feel as vulnerable in future confrontations with them. The whole "about to light you guys up" thing was ridiculous i was pretty mad at that after the fact. That and the fact that they opened my gate and drove out there to pursue jason for no reason, and ended up questioning and searching me. I almost wonder if the alarm excuse was bullshit and they were out to snoop on me the whole time.

Lesson of the day - Always lock the gate behind you.

I think its funny a couple of guys in this thread talk s**t about the police but when something little happens they're the first ones to call the cops (COWARDS), love people hiding behind the computer. You guys dont know the reason why they show up and certainly dont answer a question right of the bat with "do you have a warrant to be on my property" that tells me that you have something to hide. Don't get me wrong I'm all for rights i think this county is taking them away but thats the wrong way to go about it.

Masscops is that-a-way ->

Were all the "posted signs" No Trespassing signs? I'd start locking the gate and about 15 feet in it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a sign posted with your contact info. Like a Cell# and first name and then noting that any further progression could possibly be in the line of fire of a private shooting range to which the shooter would most likely not be able to see the tresspasser.

If it had happened to me, I would have handed the guy my hearing protection and a magazine and told him to have fun. Despite the initial BS, it sounded like they might have been decent guys (anti obama, into guns) Never hurts to be friendly with the local cops.

If it had happened to me, I would have handed the guy my hearing protection and a magazine and told him to have fun. Despite the initial BS, it sounded like they might have been decent guys (anti obama, into guns) Never hurts to be friendly with the local cops.

That would have been a very good idea.

Hell, if that went well I'd give them my Cell Phone number and invite them to come shoot sometime off-duty.

Better friend than foe.

First impressions are important.

Sooooooo, why did you quote my post to explain that?

My post was in response to SalemCat usually ballsucking cops in general as he's so fearful he might piss one or many off.

I just tossed in Skippy Gate's likely sentiments for good measure as I'm sure he hasn't changed his stripes, no matter how many beers they drank in the rosegarden.

Only because it's what spurred the thought in my head that Gates was the a**h*** in that story - then when they arrest him for 'contempt of cop', the cops jumped right on the a**h*** train, too. I'm fairly certain 99.5% of us here aren't okay with people getting arrested for mouthing off. The guy WAS an a**h***, but we should (do?) all have every right to be an a**h***.

Was just more convenient to quote it, since that's where the thought popped into my head.

I might look at the situation differently.

As a Landowner you probably don't want unknown yahoos running around and shooting stuff on your property. The SP did not know you. Gunfire always attracts attention. If it were strangers on your land, you'd want the SP to look into it.

Once they knew you were the owner, and weren't some crazy militia men, I'll bet they were relieved as well. Very few cops want to get into beefs where they could be shot.

Are some Cops jerks ? Of course. But many, if not most, are just doing a job as best they can.

They're your neighbors, sometimes your relatives. They put their pants on in the morning one leg at time, just like you.

My own grandmother had a thing for police......don't invite them into your home. My grandmother was never disrespectful to police but made it no secret she did not like the establishment.
As for people calling the police? Maybe its like this....the average person is in more fear of what would happen if they hqndled issues on their own. Believe me there are a few known elements in our area that most people would love to handle it like the days of long gone.....good old nieghbor hood spanking. No instead some how violators of common laws of respect and decency get their rights....sick and sad.
The libertarian in me says get ride of the LEO swat team tactical vest wearing type and bring back the blue pin strip uniform revovler and Billy clubs. When I see the police martch in numbers complaining about laws that are un constitutional or just plain stupid maybe I will feel better? Sadly I see a drift to the same bull shit that is going on in the school systems with no tolerance. I also see things getting worse before it gets better.

So yes in the end the 1st thing we should all do when confronted on our own property is ask "do you have a warrent"

Last edited:
Only because it's what spurred the thought in my head that Gates was the a**h*** in that story - then when they arrest him for 'contempt of cop', the cops jumped right on the a**h*** train, too. I'm fairly certain 99.5% of us here aren't okay with people getting arrested for mouthing off. The guy WAS an a**h***, but we should (do?) all have every right to be an a**h***.

Was just more convenient to quote it, since that's where the thought popped into my head.

Gates was/is a complete a**h***. Liberal/Entitled Cambridge shithead. Cops were doing him a service.

If he had any class at all he would have thanked the Police for checking on his property. I'm not sure about what I'd do myself, in most situations, but in that case I am 100% CERTAIN I would have thanked the LEO.

actually as I read this I was thinking all the philosphical stuff aside, I think the OP handled this very well. If could of ended very badly. I wonder how it is out west on a ranch with 3000 acres?

I glad no one was hurt.

actually as I read this I was thinking all the philosphical stuff aside, I think the OP handled this very well. If could of ended very badly. I wonder how it is out west on a ranch with 3000 acres?

I glad no one was hurt.

Despite the comments made by one Officer, which were inappropriate, I rather doubt they were going to shoot anyone. That was all bravado.

Ask them to join your "Band of Merry Men"...

no, no, no. They are not you're friends. They are not going to hang with you and have a few beers on the weekend. They are not going to "stop by" and shoot at your range with you. They were @ssholes that thought they had just found a terrorist cell in training. Don't be nice to them and don't give them any information. Be upfront and polite to pass their initial bs and @sshole detector, don't answer any questions and then tell them to be on their way.

Follow up with the department and make a complaint about this or it will happen to some else. For the most part you did the right thing, I really don't think opening fire on two cops cuz they were on your property and driving towards you would end very well. I do think you need to follow through and make them understand that this is not acceptable.

Ok, just curious and wasn't making the connection.

no, no, no. They are not you're friends. They are not going to hang with you and have a few beers on the weekend. They are not going to "stop by" and shoot at your range with you. They were @ssholes that thought they had just found a terrorist cell in training. Don't be nice to them and don't give them any information. Be upfront and polite to pass their initial bs and @sshole detector, don't answer any questions and then tell them to be on their way.

Follow up with the department and make a complaint about this or it will happen to some else. For the most part you did the right thing, I really don't think opening fire on two cops cuz they were on your property and driving towards you would end very well. I do think you need to follow through and make them understand that this is not acceptable.
I'm not suggesting that they would become BFFs, but being on a first name basis with them can make life easier in the future. Especially if you have nosey neighbors that call the cops for gun fire.

I glad no one was hurt.

Nobody would hear it on 3000 acres. And usually in a place where land parcels are that big, a local would not even think about making that journey unless there was an emergency being reported. They'd laugh a noise complainant into a coma over the phone.[grin] and would know the land owner well enough to know better than to disturb their fun.

Most people who live out in places where farms and ranches are in the hundreds or thousands of acres for the most part all carry guns everywhere they go.

I'm not suggesting that they would become BFFs, but being on a first name basis with them can make life easier in the future. Especially if you have nosey neighbors that call the cops for gun fire.

I get that and I know what you mean, especially in the OP's circumstance. I have met a few relaxed and cool headed officers who do the right thing, but I have also me the ones who think they just found the way to get to their next promotion or commendation.

I'm just saying they will always be a cop and bff or not, he will arrest you if the time comes.

Wow, I'm so jealous of your setup. I used to have land in Maine but had to sell. Also love the long range stuff. Consider yourself lucky to have such a great opportunity in CT.

CSP is probably really paranoid with the Newtown incident and now the psycho grandmother incident. At least they were cool once they calmed down. They were probably jealous of your property too.

"PROBABLY" Jealous ?

I am just hearing about it.

I can't fart without a neighbor taking notice.

like others said, lock the gate, and like another said a combo lock for temporary access is a good idea

I wouldn't put up a range sign in sight of the street--they have the opposite effect on moonbats, why draw attention? if you wanted to put up such a sign put it 100 ft in but it would probably wig out the power line people

This is exactly what I'd have said if David hadn't said it.

Shooting range signs.

Danger-Firing-Range-Weapons-Sign-S-7715.gif

Danger-Shooting-Range-Sign-S-7718.gif

Warning-Firearms-Range-Ahead-Sign-K-7708.gif

Posted out of sight of the road, and covered whenever you are NOT using the range. Maybe hang one of them on a wire crossing the road. It may also make sense to have some kind of audible or visual warning when someone "crosses the beam," although it may be difficult to transmit a driveway warning all the way to where you are and for you to hear it while shooting.

Last edited:
Gunfire always attracts attention.

Only with the wrong people in the wrong places. I live in a very rural part of Rhode Island- such a thing does exist. Everyone of my neighbors is constantly shooting, never mind the range a mile up the road. I keep it to .22's because I don't have a berm but the guy across the street has a pile 20 feet high and he goes crazy. No NFA items in RI but I swear someone is constantly going full auto- maybe its a bump fire. No one cares. No cop has ever come down my street looking for stray bullets. And one of the town cops moms lives on the road.

Those state cops should have realized they were in the middle of butt-**** nowhere and minded their own goddamn business. Nosey nellies, that's all those a**h***s were. And probably bullies to boot.

My brother is a cop in Arizona. He never would have pulled that shit. Why? Because in Arizona you get shot for trespassing. It does not matter who you are. Gun fire on private property in the middle of the wilderness is not your (a cops) business.

Shit, if you nicer to them they might drop off a trunkload of Fireworks on the Fourth.

There's only so many they can shoot off themselves !

- - - Updated - - -

This is exactly wheat I'd have said if David hadn't said it.

Shooting range signs.

Danger-Firing-Range-Weapons-Sign-S-7715.gif

Danger-Shooting-Range-Sign-S-7718.gif

Warning-Firearms-Range-Ahead-Sign-K-7708.gif

Posted out of sight of the road, and covered whenever you are NOT using the range. Maybe hang one of them on a wire crossing the road. It may also make sense to have some kind of audible or visual warning when someone "crosses the beam," although it may be difficult to transmit a driveway warning all the way to where you are and for you to hear it while shooting.

Posting these would make a lot of sense.

Maybe with a Phone Number to call if access is required.

Only with the wrong people in the wrong places. I live in a very rural part of Rhode Island- such a thing does exist. Everyone of my neighbors is constantly shooting, never mind the range a mile up the road. I keep it to .22's because I don't have a berm but the guy across the street has a pile 20 feet high and he goes crazy. No NFA items in RI but I swear someone is constantly going full auto- maybe its a bump fire. No one cares. No cop has ever come down my street looking for stray bullets. And one of the town cops moms lives on the road.

Those state cops should have realized they were in the middle of butt-**** nowhere and minded their own goddamn business. Nosey nellies, that's all those a**h***s were. And probably bullies to boot.

My brother is a cop in Arizona. He never would have pulled that shit. Why? Because in Arizona you get shot for trespassing. It does not matter who you are. Gun fire on private property in the middle of the wilderness is not your (a cops) business.

The cops aren't visiting because they KNOW what is going on.

They are neither deaf, nor stupid.

If someone new in the State began shooting, I am certain they'd have a visit or two before the local LEO's knew not to bother.

The cops aren't visiting because they KNOW what is going on.

They are neither deaf, nor stupid.

If someone new in the State began shooting, I am certain they'd have a visit or two before the local LEO's knew not to bother.

You are certainly wrong then. First-hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom