State and City government sending the "wrong message" about American brand

KVX

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does one think about any government, ( city or state departments) using "foreign brand" vehicles in their fleet ? Nissan, Toyota, Kia, etc.

Example: A few government agencies in Malden uses Nissan Pathfinders, Dept. of Health, Inspection Services, etc.

Does it send a "negative" message about American brand vehicles/companies ?

tripletaco

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So tell us what exactly is an "American" car company? Chrysler...that sounds like a good american brand right?....but wait they're a mulit-national corp with FIAT headquartered in Amsterdam. Or what about GM....surely thats a great AMERICAN brand.....nice 50 million dollar gift they got from the american public. Now they're in bed with the Chinese.

edit: Just to be clear, I dont have anything particular against the products from either of these companies. There are plenty of other examples out there too. Ford and Nissan make cars in Mexico...so does that make them Mexican car compaines, American, or Japanese?

I dont have a cite now, but I recall an article from a few years back that had the Toyota Camry as #1 for domestically built vehicles with the highest percentage of domestically sourced parts.

Last edited:

moojpg2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Doesn't matter anymore, cars are produced pretty equally on the global market. When you buy a Ford, lots of the parts come from foreign countries. When you buy a Toyota now there's a very solid chance it was built in the lower 48. Not sure where Nissan has plants but I'm sure they have one in the US or North America, because they aren't selling Nissan Titans anywhere but the US. Nobody really drives full size pickup trucks anywhere but here and Canada.

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My Tacoma was built in Texas, my buddies F-150 was assembled in Mexico.

If I felt there was a rock solid American truck that fit my needs I would have bought it over a Toyota.

cockpitbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to be a Buy American guy. But now I think that actually makes America weaker. It reduces competition. And competition is what makes things run well.

In the 1970s and 80s American car quality was detestably bad and Japan started kicking Detroit's ass by selling us what we wanted: reliable cars that get good mileage. It took Detroit more than a decade to get off their complacent, arrogant asses and improve their product quality. Without us buying so many foreign cars Detroit would still be shipping shit. Anyone remember buying a new car around 1970 and bringing it back to the dealer with a list 10 to 20 items long for them to fix? 10 to 20 was the norm.

Reactions: KVX

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
What does one think about any government, ( city or state departments) using "foreign brand" vehicles in their fleet ? Nissan, Toyota, Kia, etc.

Example: A few government agencies in Malden uses Nissan Pathfinders, Dept. of Health, Inspection Services, etc.

lol no... it tells me the gov is a broken clock that probably got something right. most US branded cars are f***ing junk.

-Mike

Radtekk

NES Member
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Full disclosure, I now ride a Harley. Many years ago I pulled up at a traffic light on my GPz 750 Turbo, next to a Harley of some sort. Dude looked over at me and gave me crap about my "Jap scrap". I asked him how his "American Iron" would do without its Nippon Denso plugs, Mikuni carb, etc. He mumbled something about his ass and I rode away as the light changed. I worked at a Ford dealer back in my car days, used to get crap from the mechanics when I would bring my girlfriend's Ford Probe in to service it after work. They called it crap, funny thing was that Ford actually had an "oil leak protocol" among which was the rule the "1 quart leakage/use per thousand miles was acceptable". This was during their "Quality is job 1" campaign. Had a buddy who got crap from union guys when he drive his girl's Chevy Nova onto the site. People are stupid.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
strangely enough it might just be they are trying to get the best value for your tax dollar.

American car companies came a long way back but in the late 70's and 80's and even into the 90's they produced some real crap allowing these foreign car companies to get a strong foothold on the American market. Honda, Toyota and Datsun (aside from the 280 series) were real pieces of sh#t. But younger people with less money were able to afford those cars. Not now.
Where is Cadilac and Lincoln, the American elite brands now? I hardly see Cadilacs anymore.

Your town is probably just shopping for the most reliable vehicles they can find for the money.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tacoma was built in Texas, my buddies F-150 was assembled in Mexico.

If I felt there was a rock solid American truck that fit my needs I would have bought it over a Toyota.
For various reasons (mostly coincidental, but sometimes not) I've only owned Chevrolet products. (And only purchased/acquired used, FWIW.) All of them contained mucho "Hecho en Mexico."

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Many auto manufacturers have plants in the US now. I see it as supporting this country and the local economies where the plants are.

KVX

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be a Buy American guy. But now I think that actually makes America weaker. It reduces competition. And competition is what makes things run well.

In the 1970s and 80s American car quality was detestably bad and Japan started kicking Detroit's ass by selling us what we wanted: reliable cars that get good mileage. It took Detroit more than a decade to get off their complacent, arrogant asses and improve their product quality. Without us buying so many foreign cars Detroit would still be shipping shit. Anyone remember buying a new car around 1970 and bringing it back to the dealer with a list 10 to 20 items long for them to fix? 10 to 20 was the norm.
Agreed, I use to be "All American" when buying autos decades ago, but now I'm more of a "best bang for the buck$" buyer.

My brothers been thru 2 NEW Jeeps, while I'm still going strong in a Nissan bought before his 2 Jeeps were purchased.

strangely enough it might just be they are trying to get the best value for your tax dollar.

American car companies came a long way back but in the late 70's and 80's and even into the 90's they produced some real crap allowing these foreign car companies to get a strong foothold on the American market. Honda, Toyota and Datsun (aside from the 280 series) were real pieces of sh#t. But younger people with less money were able to afford those cars. Not now.
Where is Cadilac and Lincoln, the American elite brands now? I hardly see Cadilacs anymore.

Your town is probably just shopping for the most reliable vehicles they can find for the money.
I'm not a "Malden" resident,
but yes, I agree with you on the "best value" for the buck ( in the long run , because, in my experience, American vehicles (Jeep, Dodge, Ford... owned them all ), seems to have a much shorter life span, and costs more due to more-frequent services needed to upkeep ( tranny , engine , wiring, .etc. )

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Again, what does made in America mean when I drove a Chevy Avalanche made in Mexico, a Ford Expedition made in Windsor Canada or a Toyota Sequoia made in Jasper, Indiana. As a country I know Toyota is sending it profit to Japan for the most part....and Chevy and ford to the US; but the Toyota workers in the US are spending their money and paying taxes here.

Does ford and Chevy pay more taxes as a company then Toyota and its employees?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I want my town government to get good value for my dollar, and favor local business(es) vs. applying some outdated logic that "American brands" are made in America and "Foreign brands" are not.

Woodsloafer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The problem with buying Toyota (and any other product that the company is located out of the country) is that the profits on said vehicle go overseas to never return to the United States because of trade deficits. The only reason Toyota and others manufacture vehicles in the US is to maximize their profits (by assembling/manufacturing here they avoid taxes/tariffs). Increasing trade deficits have gone hand in hand with increasing budget deficits - there is simply less and less real money circulating in the US (and the more it "goes around and around" the more that it is taxed, once overseas it stops going "around and around" in the US economy) so the government has to print it.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I drive an all-American Dodge Challenger muscle car...built in Canada, and a Japanese Tacoma...built in California!

Generally, where products are made matters more to me than where the company is headquartered. Factories put $$ in the hands of the middle class.

Top Bottom