• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Starting Your Long-Term Food Storage

In response to my NES Outing to the Worcester LDS Storehouse thread, several people have asked me for suggestions on what to buy. There are a lot of factors to consider, and I'm definitely not an expert, but I'm happy to share my experience. There is a lot of information out there that is more comprehensive that what I'm providing here. There are also a lot of other things you need to think about, like where you'll store your food, how you'll cook it if you don't have your home oven or stove. I'm limiting my suggestions here to the questions I received about starting your long-term food storage.

Whether you are thinking short-term or long-term food storage, I think that there are two overarching factor to keep in mind (1) store foods that you will actually eat, and that you know how to use, and (2) use, rotate, and replace.

To me, there are three different types of food storage:

1. Emergency food storage. This is food to get you by for a couple of days. I typically think of this as bug out type food storage. Think about how you would feed yourself or your family if you had to suddenly leave your house. MREs fit well into this category. You can put this food in a 72 hour kit that you keep in a backpack you can grab if you have to leave.

2. Short-term food storage. This is food to get you by for a couple of weeks. I think of this as short-term bug-in type food storage. Here in the Northeast, snow and ice storms, floods, extended power outages, etc. may make it impracticable for you to leave your house and you may not be able to use the foods in your fridge and freezer and standard cooking methods. Assuming you don't have a way to cook, think about canned and packaged food that you can get at the grocery store in this category: soups, canned fruit and vegetables, canned meats (tuna or chicken), peanut butter, crackers, cold cereal, Ramen, etc. I also include bottled water and soy milk in this category. We use and stock up on the soy milk that comes in one quart containers that don't need to be refrigerated until opened. The Costco Kirkland brand is good. Canned soup or chili might not taste as good cold, but it will get you through. Building this type of food storage is just a matter of buying things you already use, and just getting a few extra cans each time you shop. Again, my suggestion is to only buy things that you like and currently use. I take a lot of canned soup or chili to work for lunch. My daughter has tuna sandwiches a few times a week for her school lunch. We put canned tomatoes and green beans into soups. Although we have a good supply of these things, we're constantly using them, and buying new ones to replace what we use.

These items are also important as part of your long term food storage as well. Many canned foods will last for years, and they will supplement the long term storage items in I describe in category 3 below.

3. Long-term food storage. This is food to get you by for months or years. I think of this as a true SHTF scenario where you are on your own for the unforeseeable future. These are food basics you can get at the LDS Bishop's storehouse like grains, beans, rice, dehydrated foods, etc. It is stuff you have to cook (so you need to figure out how that will happen), but these foods can be stored for many years without going bad. Again, in my family, our category 3 food storage consists of things we use in our everyday meals. We buy whole wheat, grind it, and use it to make breads and pancakes. We buy oats and put them in chocolate chip cookies. We buy dehydrated carrots and onions and put them in soups (you can add macaroni noodles to soup too).

If you don't currently incorporate category 3 items into your weekly menus, start slow. It may take time to learn how to soften beans, grind and use whole wheat, etc. You also want to go slow so you don't shock your body.

The following list contains the core of my family's long-term (category 3) food storage. If you don't have any category 3 foods yet, and are going to the Storehouse, consider some combination of the following (maybe just 1 can of each for now):

• Beans, Black
  • Beans, Pinto
  • Beans, White
  • Rice, White
  • Wheat, White
  • Carrots
  • Macaroni
  • Oats, Quick
  • Flour, White
  • Potato Pearls

Although you can't get them at the storehouse, canola oil, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices are also an important part of our food storage.

As I said, I don't pretend to be an expert in this area. I've found foods that work for my family, and you'll have to do the same. Over the next few days, I'll post some recipes here that my family eats regularly that incorporates all of these items, such as 100% whole wheat bread, pancakes, chili, soup, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Although these recipes use some items from category 2, a good food storage will have both items to get you through.

Indian food has a lot going for it for survival. Here's a recipe for Chapati, the flat bread that can be made over a gas burner.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-chapati-bread/

Also, Ghee (canned clarified butter) keeps for a very long time unrefrigerated.

White rice also can be stored for years.

Lentils can be used to make Dahl (lentil based soup or sauce) if you have the right spices. You can get freeze-dried lentils (http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Lentils-4-lbs_p_1782.html) which cook instantly so don't need to be soaked, but they're expensive.
Regular lentils will keep for years in a bucket with mylar sealed bag.

Lentils are the highest protein beans by weight, but deficient in two essential amino acids, methionine and cysteine, but mixed with rice or other grains becomes a complete protein source.

Indian food has a lot going for it for survival. Here's a recipe for Chapati, the flat bread that can be made over a gas burner.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-chapati-bread/

Also, Ghee (canned clarified butter) keeps for a very long time unrefrigerated.

White rice also can be stored for years.

Lentils can be used to make Dahl (lentil based soup or sauce) if you have the right spices. You can get freeze-dried lentils (http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Lentils-4-lbs_p_1782.html) which cook instantly so don't need to be soaked, but they're expensive.
Regular lentils will keep for years in a bucket with mylar sealed bag.

Lentils are the highest protein beans by weight, but deficient in two essential amino acids, methionine and cysteine, but mixed with rice or other grains becomes a complete protein source.

Excellent info! We actually made Chapati cooked on our electric griddle and Dahl for lunch today. [smile] I never really thought of Indian food for survival, but you've given me some new idea. Thanks!

Well, India is, in many respects, a perpetual SHTF scenario (sorry if this comes across as racsit, but a good perceantage of the place is always close to the edge) so any techniques that have been "field tested" by so many for so long bear consideration.

Wonder Bread, whatever its virtues, is not a practial recipie for home production.

If the effective society/infrastructure gets knocked back a century or three, one must be ready to operate at that level.

Good post Al.

If you don't currently incorporate category 3 items into your weekly menus, start slow. It may take time to learn how to soften beans, grind and use whole wheat, etc. You also want to go slow so you don't shock your body.

I would add that you should 'store what you eat, eat what you store.'

A good way to store meat is to 'can it' using glass jars and a pressure canner. This has a few benefits. You don't have to worry about losing power and losing your stored meat. You also dont have to worry about remembering to take something out of the freezer every morning during 'normal' times. You can buy meat on sale and make your $ go further instead of having to buy when you need and paying more $.

Well, India is, in many respects, a perpetual SHTF scenario (sorry if this comes across as racsit, but a good perceantage of the place is always close to the edge) so any techniques that have been "field tested" by so many for so long bear consideration.

Wonder Bread, whatever its virtues, is not a practial recipie for home production.

If the effective society/infrastructure gets knocked back a century or three, one must be ready to operate at that level.

It's not racist. It's a function of climate, economy and population pressure.

We can also learn from our southern neighbors. Tacos, burritos or just rice and beans are made largely with components that are cheap, easy to prepare and store well. Also, light (when dry) in proportion to their food value, if you are carrying it around.

I think emergency food and short term food storage makes sense. But large amounts of long term food storage makes no sense, (6 months MAX) ..

If truly SHTF comes about there will be NO gas, No eletric, No communication etc.
How will you store huge amounts of food, cook it. secure it, transport it? All the $$$$ spent and food will get lost.
IMHO for extended long term food you will have to be experienced to farm it, forage it, catch it or hunt it, with a combination of all.

I think emergency food and short term food storage makes sense. But large amounts of long term food storage makes no sense, (6 months MAX) ..

If truly SHTF comes about there will be NO gas, No eletric, No communication etc.
How will you store huge amounts of food, cook it. secure it, transport it? All the $$$$ spent and food will get lost.
IMHO for extended long term food you will have to be experienced to farm it, forage it, catch it or hunt it, with a combination of all.

6 months doesnt even get you through one winter in the NE. Say something happens mid Nov. YOur 6 months runs out in May. Sure you have greens coming up but you have a good wait until your significant crops start coming in. You cant rely on wild foods as most game will be gone quickly and look at how poor the acorn harvest was this year. While I agree that several years may be excessive, at least a year should be everyones goal and I would encourage even two years of grains as a supplement to a bad or iffy harvest. I am not there yet but this is one of the 2012 goals.

Long term you are going to have to subsist on what you can grow and gather but you need to have enough to get you to that point. What percentage of your current daily food consumption do you grow, harvest, catch etc? How much do you eat that is grown within 5 miles of your house? You arent going to go from next to nothing to 100% in 6 months. As an experienced outdoorsman how many people do you think the avg acre of NE woodlands could support indefinitely?

No gas, electric etc? Got wood? charcoal? propane? solar? kero? a thermos? There are at least a dozen ways to cook without power. Storage space? A 5 gal bucket will hold 30-35 lbs of wheat. That would provide 2K cals a day for almost 4 weeks. That isnt a lot of space. Sure I could lose it in a fire or get it stolen from me but at least it is there and available.

One way to think about how to prepare for a SHTF scenario is to visit Plymouth Plantation or Sturbridge Village.

It wasn't a particularly comfortable life and not necessarily how I would wish to spend my days, but contrary to popular belief, they were not huddled together wearing uncured animal skins and eating raw squirrels with their bare hands and teeth.

You can go and SEE how to do all the things you (jmjkd and coastie) mentioned. The foxfire books are a good read too.

There was life before microwaves and flush toilets!

Long term storage food makes very good sense. Gardens don't grow in a month, hunting, trapping and fishing can be hit or miss, preservation of your garden produce and hunted/trapped meat or fish can be difficult with limited knowledge and resources.

Most long term storage foods require nothing more than some potable water and a small fire and stove to prepare. Its not going to be gourmet but it'll hold you over for a long time.

Transport shouldn't be necessary if you're not going on the road. If you are planning to bugout, have it cached in different locations along your potential routes of travel or at your ultimate destination.

Improvised stoves are too numerous to list and wood or other fuel is everywhere you look.

You can't grow your own to replentish unless you have some ground to work. You also need seed to start, the energy to tend the garden and the means and knowledge to harvest it and preserve your bounty. Until all that happens you still have to eat.....it could be many months in between.

No money will be lost, if it was put away properly it should last a few decades.

Wow...

One way to think about how to prepare for a SHTF scenario is to visit Plymouth Plantation or Sturbridge Village.

It wasn't a particularly comfortable life and not necessarily how I would wish to spend my days, but contrary to popular belief, they were not huddled together wearing uncured animal skins and eating raw squirrels with their bare hands and teeth.

You can go and SEE how to do all the things you (jmjkd and coastie) mentioned. The foxfire books are a good read too.

There was life before microwaves and flush toilets!

I love both those places. We used to go a couple times a year. I have always been fascinate with oxen because of watching them at Sturbridge Village. We will be going to both places this spring with the kids as I think they are old enough now to appreciate it. I grew up in a 1750s house and for fun we would cook in the big fireplace every once in a while including using the beehive oven. That is an art. It was fun but made you very thankful for the woodstove never mind the microwave!! If you have the knowledge and the infrastructure you wont be huddled around eating squirrels raw but so much of that has been lost. Most houses today dont even have chimneys and how many folks can plow with a team or even a tractor. Hand someone a whole dead chicken and they will probably start crying about the poor animal and not have a clue how to prep it. Most adults today probably dont have the basic survival knowledge that a 6 yr old did back then.

I love both those places. We used to go a couple times a year. I have always been fascinate with oxen because of watching them at Sturbridge Village. We will be going to both places this spring with the kids as I think they are old enough now to appreciate it. I grew up in a 1750s house and for fun we would cook in the big fireplace every once in a while including using the beehive oven. That is an art. It was fun but made you very thankful for the woodstove never mind the microwave!! If you have the knowledge and the infrastructure you wont be huddled around eating squirrels raw but so much of that has been lost. Most houses today dont even have chimneys and how many folks can plow with a team or even a tractor. Hand someone a whole dead chicken and they will probably start crying about the poor animal and not have a clue how to prep it. Most adults today probably dont have the basic survival knowledge that a 6 yr old did back then.

It's been quite a few years since I've been to either. I think it is about time I visit again and bring the young'un.

Now I could bring a chicken from coop to dinner table, but I haven't the first clue how to go about prepping a deer.

I say we just keep track of jmjkd so we know where we can top off our supplies if needed [shocked] ... [thinking]

It's been quite a few years since I've been to either. I think it is about time I visit again and bring the young'un.

Now I could bring a chicken from coop to dinner table, but I haven't the first clue how to go about prepping a deer.

I say we just keep track of jmjkd so we know where we can top off our supplies if needed [shocked] ... [thinking]
Anything you need bro just ask I'm fine with that...:)

If the Mayans are right, long term food storage won’t matter
If a hurricane /tornado takes my house, LTFS won’t matter.
If a flood or my house burns down, LTFS won’t matter.
If nothing bad “ever” happens then LTFS won’t matter.

When will long term food storage matter to me? When there is no food available anywhere. I have never seen this happen in my life in the US, so based on what I have experienced, LTFS is for temporary inconvenience, you got snowed in, power is out, food price inflation, you are unemployed etc.. 6 mo of bucket food, 1 mo emergency food (like MRE’s, moutainhouse stc) and 2-3 months rotating of your everyday balanced portioned foods and you should buy yourself plenty of time to get by, that’s like a 10month buffer.

But if you think the apocalyptic economical collapse of it all is coming, well buy more stuff.
Common sense tells me to be prepared but be sensible. This makes sense to me 10 months of food and for fun, I like to hunt, trap and get goofy playing in the woods, have a garden and fly balloons off my front porch.

Last edited:
Anything you need bro just ask I'm fine with that...:)

Just having a little fun.

If the Mayans are right, long term food storage won’t matter
If a hurricane /tornado takes my house, LTFS won’t matter.
If a flood or my house burns down, LTFS won’t matter.
If nothing bad “ever” happens then LTFS won’t matter.

When will long term food storage matter to me? When there is no food available anywhere. I have never seen this happen in my life in the US, so based on what I have experienced, LTFS is for temporary inconvenience, you got snowed in, power is out, food price inflation, you are unemployed etc.. 6 mo of bucket food, 1 mo emergency food (like MRE’s, moutainhouse stc) and 2-3 months rotating of your everyday balanced portioned foods and you should buy yourself plenty of time to get by, that’s like a 10month buffer.

But if you think the apocalyptic economical collapse of it all is coming, well buy more stuff.
Common sense tells me to be prepared but be sensible. This makes sense to me 10 months of food and for fun, I like to hunt, trap and get goofy playing in the woods, have a garden and fly balloons off my front porch.

You should prepare yourself to the extent that you find reasonable and for the scenarios that you are comfortable preparing for. You should *not* take preparedness to a point that it adversely affects the living of your daily life.

Each of the rest of us will do the same, with adjustments to accommodate our own needs, comfort and resources.

A good way to store meat is to 'can it' using glass jars and a pressure canner.

jmjkd, do you bother to read the threads you post in ?
I'm guessing you didn't notice PennyPincher's post about canning meat.

Or these three posts I started detailing the process of pressure canning meat.

So far we've canned ground beef (which lost a lot of texture), beef chunks, pork, chicken chunks, leftover thanksgiving turkey and an entire 20+ LB turkey we cooked just to can.

All of the meats we have canned held their texture well except for the ground beef, this resulted in "meat mush" and while safe to eat was not palatable. We do not recommend attempting to can ground beef.

The turkey and chicken have been made into pies and were tasty. The pork we serve over rice or mix with a little BBQ sauce and liquid smoke & garlic as a quickie "pulled pork".

Supper tonight was Spaghetti with a Bolognese sauce made from home canned beef. It had been in the jar for 10 months and was delicious.

Eat what you store and store what you eat. [thumbsup]

Have you tried pre cooking the meat? I have read that helps it keep its texture. I have canned meatballs but that never loose ground meat.

Im not too worried about food storage at this point im gathering supplies to fit in a 5000cu northface expedition bag for survival. Looking at the basics. Getting my ability to withstand the outdoors and build fires and shelters . Then i may think of lasting more than a couple months in my own home with 3 months worth of food.

Those 6 months that you need stored food might come 17 years from now. This isn't food that you will live off of for 30 years...its food that will be there when you need it (maybe for only one bad month). Maybe it will be there for your family if something happens to you. How do you put a price tag on that kind of peace of mind? For me this makes a lot of sense, I could have used this a couple of years ago when I was out of work for 8 months recovering from spine surgery. No income, and for a few weeks I couldn't even drive to a store. Since then I have decided to put a little away when times are good, and long term food is a very easy way to do that

Back
Top Bottom