Starting new career in trucking

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, Swift it is. They're building up their business in the northeast, or so I was told, so I'll hopefully be able to get a northeast dedicated route
That's what I thought, best of luck, I've heard some horror stories about them but I'm sure you've done your research.

Is it one of those deals where you go through their training and then are obligated to work for them for a year or two and pay off the debt. and or get stuck with the bill?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought, best of luck, I've heard some horror stories about them but I'm sure you've done your research.

Is it one of those deals where you go through their training and then are obligated to work for them for a year or two and pay off the debt. and or get stuck with the bill?
That part I'm not entirely sure. Either way I gotta get the experience, so if I have to drive for them for a year or two, so be it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for fellow drivers. I had to self certify in order to get my permit/license, that was in august I believe. Do I need to re-certify now? Or how often does one need to?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for fellow drivers. I had to self certify in order to get my permit/license, that was in august I believe. Do I need to re-certify now? Or how often does one need to?
when i renewed my lic in November i had to self certify i was told i had to redo it in august when my healthcard expires. and every time it expires after that

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, my med card doesn't expire till June 2015. Although I was told by the end of this month med cards will no longer be needed. Something about getting a medical number in some system

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm might have to investigate that more. problem in this state is 10 people have 10 different answers and usually none of them are right

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I was told the reason is because every state's med card is different, and there's different med cards in a state. Take Mass, I've seen 3 different med cards between 3 people. So in order to make things more uniform, they're going electronic. Who the hell knows though, things change daily

Infinite Jester

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good luck. I made that same decision 18 years ago. Out of the service a few years, and working minimum wage jobs, with a baby at home. Spent a year over the road, then local/regional ever since. There's very little money in it these days, but looking around, it can be found. Now I'm with Teamsters Local 25 and don't have any plans of going anywhere. Jobs too easy working 4 "tens" and overtime. Be careful, as it gets in your blood. Still something to be said for your office windows view changing every few seconds. Happy trucking, and keep the shiny side up.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Good luck,and pay careful attention to the contract you will be signing for the company that is training you..You could be stuck making shit pay for a couple of years.

Local work is usually more money than OTR,so my advice is to get your experience and license and try to hook up with something local.

Ah ok, my med card doesn't expire till June 2015. Although I was told by the end of this month med cards will no longer be needed. Something about getting a medical number in some system
You have to "self certify "by Jan 31st,or you lose all your endorsements.

You still need a med card,it's just that with this new system you med card info will be available when running your license..it will flag you as having or not having a valid med card and exclusions like corrective lenses etc..

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good luck,and pay careful attention to the contract you will be signing for the company that is training you..You could be stuck making shit pay for a couple of years.

Local work is usually more money than OTR,so my advice is to get your experience and license and try to hook up with something local.
This. From what I've read up on it sounds like after training, Swift usually starts you at around .25 cents a mile and you might be doing 2,500 to 3,000 miles a week. Do the math on that and it's easy to figure out that is not a lot of money by any means, and it doesn't even take into account health insurance.

Last edited:

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This. From what I've read up on it sounds like after training Swift usually starts you at around .25 cents a mile and you might be doing 2,500 to 3,000 miles a week. Do the math on that and it's easy to figure out that is not a lot of money by any means, and it doesn't even take into account health insurance.
When I lived in CA I was considering a move into a really remote part of Northern Cali..The ONLY jobs up there would have been OTR..I remember doing the figures and with the amount of miles guaranteed for a beginner it averaged out to around $14.00 an hour..This combined with 3 days off every 15 or so days..f that.

Best thing OP can do is go to a private school and pay to be trained so you aren't stuck with the same OTR and can also hunt for local work.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I lived in CA I was considering a move into a really remote part of Northern Cali..The ONLY jobs up there would have been OTR..I remember doing the figures and with the amount of miles guaranteed for a beginner it averaged out to around $14.00 an hour..This combined with 3 days off every 15 or so days..f that.

Best thing OP can do is go to a private school and pay to be trained so you aren't stuck with the same OTR and can also hunt for local work.
Yeah, I got my Class B from a school just doing a weekend course and it was really short money, then I got hired by a company who I was able to get my Class A through for free.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my license by going through a school. OTR isn't in our 5 year plan by any means, just a step to get me where I wanna be. We get our health and dental through my wife's employer, so I'm not sure if we'd be switching anytime soon.

Quiet

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am shipping out Monday to Syracuse NY for orientation then leaving for up to 6 weeks for Over The Road training. It'll be a definite change being gone for so long, but the opportunity to make decent money while getting experience is something I can't pass up
I think this is pretty much the promise that all of the magazine sales kiddies in my neighborhood got lured in with.[rofl]

Just saying to check them out, be careful and good luck.

Top Bottom