• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

starting/max load for 262 grain cast bullet in 45 colt

headednorth

NES Member
Cast some Lee 45 cal 255 grain flat points today. When its all said and done theyre weighing in at an average of 262 grains. Im thinking Ill have to lower the charge a bit to compensate for the slightly heavier bullet. Most of the 255 grain data Im seeing is calling for a start weight of around 6.0 grains of Unique with a max of 8.5. Is a starting charge of 5.5 reasonable or is there a rule of thumb to go by?

Cast these from range scrap with 3 coats of Hi Tek. Just looking for sort of a mid to low range plinking round for a Ruger Vaquero.

I think you have plenty of room to work with. With a 2.5 grain spread you should be able to find a good plinking load and be very safe even with the increase in bullet weight.
I would start at 6.
The lee bullets are usually very fat in the nose leaving more weight that normal outside the case.

Being 6 is the start and 8.5 the max I don’t think you need to reduce the starting load at all.
If your worried then the rule is thumb is to reduce by 10%

What vaquero do you have? I’m dying for a color case hardened colt clone.

Also check some old manuals. Unique has been around forever. You can probably find an old Lyman manual with an off size cast bullet heavier than what you’re using. It will give you a good idea what is safe and what is not.

I think you have plenty of room to work with. With a 2.5 grain spread you should be able to find a good plinking load and be very safe even with the increase in bullet weight.
I would start at 6.
The lee bullets are usually very fat in the nose leaving more weight that normal outside the case.

Being 6 is the start and 8.5 the max I don’t think you need to reduce the starting load at all.
If your worried then the rule is thumb is to reduce by 10%

What vaquero do you have? I’m dying for a color case hardened colt clone.
Lol, me too. Love the cch. I bought a pair of SASS from a member here a while back.

Ruger® Ruger Vaquero SASS® Single-Action Revolver Models

Damn I’m jealous.
Not a fan of the lines of the blackhawk though. I’ve had a couple and they didn’t do it for me.

Back
Top Bottom