• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

started phase 1, scheduled to go to academy in feb

Just got hired part time here in NH after a years worth of PT, orals, psych evals etc. Already did taser, OC, and pistol qualifiction. 30 hrs into phase 1 (960 hrs for all 3 phases in our town). Having a blast so far! So much to learn and a total career change for me.

Congrats and best of luck to you. I'm working through a hiring process currently myself. It is certainly an exercise in patience.

Just got hired part time here in NH after a years worth of PT, orals, psych evals etc. Already did taser, OC, and pistol qualifiction. 30 hrs into phase 1 (960 hrs for all 3 phases in our town). Having a blast so far! So much to learn and a total career change for me.

I am right in the middle of a similar career change. Passed everything so far with my poly coming up in two weeks. If I pass that I will begin my training first of the year.

VERY excited about these new opportunities!

Congrats and good luck!

everything has been a huge learning experience. Tons to absorb in a short period of time. Start the academy on feb 5th. Just took the entrance PT test last sat. Tore my calf muscle 2 days before but sucked it up and passed everything. No second chances. I'll let you all know how it goes from time to time. 60 hr work week with 18 hrs of academy and 8 hrs of FTO training on top of it all every week. I will be a little busy! Thanks for all the kind words and good luck to all that are doing the same.

Would you feel the same way if you got promoted?

There is a reason I'm still a journeyman agent. The politics will stop me at a 2nd line sup max. I refuse to look the other way and go along with something simply because someone with stars or eagles on his collar thinks it's a 'good idea'. Unfortunately, I normally say something about it too.

I do plan on promoting, as soon as I'm too old to utilize my nuts and don't care my spine is removed. Chronic back pain is a beotch.

Last edited:
everything has been a huge learning experience. Tons to absorb in a short period of time. Start the academy on feb 5th. Just took the entrance PT test last sat. Tore my calf muscle 2 days before but sucked it up and passed everything. No second chances. I'll let you all know how it goes from time to time. 60 hr work week with 18 hrs of academy and 8 hrs of FTO training on top of it all every week. I will be a little busy! Thanks for all the kind words and good luck to all that are doing the same.

If you like the career, there is nothing else like it. Just remember, shoot the dog first, always and I mean ALWAYS go into the wrong house on purpose and you'll fit right in according to some people here.

Training ends the day you retire. Unless you become brass, then after successfull removal of brain, spine and nuts, you just coast along.
LOL
The engineering company I work for is much more efficient. We call it "the management lobotomy". Remove the right parts there and it renders the other parts mentioned "disconnected". And it's done noninvasively through targeted [STRIKE]brainwashing[/STRIKE] training and continuous applications of "meetings".

I'm attending the same academy. Where are you taking the Tues/Thurs class? Nice to find a fellow NES'er i'll be attending the academy with!

I'm attending the same academy. Where are you taking the Tues/Thurs class? Nice to find a fellow NES'er i'll be attending the academy with!

Well I have probably met you as I am the 2nd squad leader. I was volentold due to previous USMC experience. concord for the tues/thurs. Going into the 5th week and it is still fun. 2 more days on the range then into driving.

wow! old thread. Current up date is I finished the PT academy, got offered a full time job in the next town over the last week of the PT academy, finished the PT FTO in june, Started FT in July, Just finished the FT academy 156th yesterday. now onto the rest of my life!

nope! Had to do the whole thing with everyone else. Didn't have to study much as most of all the tests were the same and still fresh in my mind. It always made me wonder as the PT officers have all the same responsibilities when they are on the road as the FT guys. Should just be one academy for all of it.

nope! Had to do the whole thing with everyone else. Didn't have to study much as most of all the tests were the same and still fresh in my mind. It always made me wonder as the PT officers have all the same responsibilities when they are on the road as the FT guys. Should just be one academy for all of it.

I went thru the R/I (PT) Academy in MA back in the early 1980s and it was ~130 hrs (6 months of 2 nights/week) plus firearms, First Responder and CPR (the latter three were left up to our own PDs to provide back then). FT Academy back then was ~15 wks IIRC. Today the R/I Academy is approximately the same but FT is ~6 months (40hrs/wk) IIRC.

Most people who are going to be PT POs can't afford to take 6 months off work to do this for essentially a volunteer position. In MA we were "used" by most departments for town events (free to the town) with occasion paid shifts/details only when no FT PO wants the shift/detail. A good percentage of PT POs want to get a FT position and the smarter PDs use the PT'rs to screen them for good FT candidates when FT positions become available.

ETA: Those that moved from PT to FT in MA had to do the entire Academy over, but the FT Academy was a lot more intense than what we did.

Congrats on your new carreer. I chose the red over the blue for myself, got cards for both 1 month apart. I am sure the first year rule is the same though. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. [grin]

Best wishes, wear your vest and be safe!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom