• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Star reloading press

Upland

NES Member
I have a chance to buy a Star press set up for 38 special. I have no experiance reloading and I was wondering if this is a good machine? I would also like to know what kind of accesories I would need to get started?

If you don't buy it, PM me with the info and I'll take it.

It's one of the (if not "the") best presses ever made.

Last edited:
Star presses were "The Commercial Reloaders Presses" in the days before Dillon.

Great machines, I have a long-time friend who had an FFL and used to reload .38Spl for numerous PDs on it . . . we used the reloads for qualification (he loaded to the same spec we carried back then).

I seem to remember used ones going for ~$600 back 25-30 years ago.

The only problem with the Star progressive reloader was that it was rather slow as delivered from Star. Several add-on accessories were necesary to get you up to speed and they had to be purchased from sources other than Star. In essence you were buying a kit. They were, however, extremely well built.

Star press

I bought the press, the seller is going to train me how to use it. I would appreciate any tips that could be passed along about how to use a star press.

I bought the press, the seller is going to train me how to use it. I would appreciate any tips that could be passed along about how to use a star press.

I googled Star Press and found user manuals etc. There are groups of devoted followers and surely you will get help there. Good luck, it seems like a nice machine. If it is anything like my Star lubesizer then you will be a happy man.

star

Bring it to my house and leave it and i show you how to used every time you come over to load for 38's [rofl]they are great machines my father has one in 38 and 45 acp.I cant get him to sell to me [crying]
Very easy to use .You will love it

If you look at a Dillon 1050 press and look at a Star press, you can definately see the 1050's parentage.

Star's old and new are good presses.

I've reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo on a Star (actually more than one). I agree with the first response, if you don't want it, please let me know and I'll buy it. Understand that in the classic days of IPSC, we were burning an average of 3000 rounds a month. All .45acp. I also load .38 and a couple more calibers on them An old friend of mine has 5. Beats the hell out of the Dillon's, But bee advised that can be a touch cranky if you get a shaved primer. All you have to do is reset it so it won't shave primers. Easy fix. But this was in the days before Brian Enos and Rob Latham were "The new kids". We had classic greats like Mickey Fowler, Leonard Knight, Mike Horne, Steve Blankenbiller and so on. Several of these guys were also instructors at Gunsite for Jeff. This was after Jeff moved the program down from Arrowhead. SWPL became pretty much the first IPSC league and was in SoCal at Wes Thompson's range in Canyon Country (long since moved out to Lake Peru).

reloading presses

Not good, they're great. I've used everything from the Rockchucker to the Lyman Spar-T, to the Hollywood Turrets (which were the first presses you could use to load .50 cal), eventually to the Star and I still love them. yes, I have used all the Dillon's and I have one. Stars are so much better and allow the use of Tightgroup (sp?) powder which the Dillon can't because it's so "loose". I averaged 900 rounds an hour on the classic Star, but it became easier on the Universal which is more expensive. Inn Chuck Ries' garage we had several Stars set up, along with the Hollywood since Chuck loaded for the Studio's.

For my accuracy rifle ammo (I shoot service rifle, but only .30 cal), I use the Forster CoAx for most steps, although I use a 40 year old Rockchucker for neck expanding and the Lyman M die. If the USMTU guys have 20 CoAx presses for all serious rifle ammo, I think they have a good rep. [grin]

I've been shooting Hi Power since 1968 and the same moving to the 14 type in 1976 and added Palma shooting which I love. My original Palma load when I wasn't using M118 (the good lots) was M118 brass, Federal 210m primers and the Lapua Stepped or rebated boat tail. In the classic USGI NM barrels they couldn't be beat. I did load with pre 1976 4895, but I won't with the way the powder is mixed post 76. To many pressure problems.

PS, on the Dillon I use 231 for .45 and .38. On the Star I use tightgroup.

Last edited:
I am aware of several people, including myself, that use Tight Group in Dillon machines with no problems.

I had it but I didn't like it . It wasn't so useful . Now I have RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Press and definitely it is one of the best reloading press on the market . High quality product very well built. Has much better leverage than some of the other presses I've seen on the market. Only thing was it did not come with the jamb nut for the handle. Just went to hardware store and picked one up.

20170707_091628.jpg 20170707_091650.jpg
It's old and ugly but I wouldn't trade it for the world in its former life it belonged to Brockton pd , it loads a great 38 wadcutter with 2.8 of bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post

I run LOTS of Titegroup very accurately through my Dillon.

No issues with Titegroup using my Dillon 550!

Back
Top Bottom