• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Star Model 1914 - Gun Show Buy

USMA-82

NES Member
Here's one I didn't expect to find when I walked into the Marlborough Gun Show this weekend:

It's a Model 1914 manufactured by Star (Bonifacio Escheverria) in 7.65mm (.32ACP). Approximately 21,000 of these were built by contract and sold to the French between 1915 and 1918 to use during the 1st World War.

The pistol came in two versions, a "trooper" style with a slightly longer barrel, and an "officer's" style, with a 7-round capacity rather than 9-round. Both were nicely blued and included a nickle plated magazine. It is a blowback pistol with the barrel fixed to the frame.

Disassembly is very simple. The small lever under the barrel, in front of the trigger guard, releases the cover plate when pushed up. The cover plate and recoil spring and guide can then be removed. Then the slide can be lifted at the rear and moved forward off the front of the barrel.

This Officer's style is in decent shape, with perhaps 30-40% bluing remaining, and a very good bore. The serial number (stamped on the backstrap) is within the range known to be sold to the French. The grips are the original checkered walnut and also in nice shape.

I've seen these maybe 2 or 3 times on GB over the past few years, but was never able to snag one - and they certainly were never sold for a little over $200 like this one.

Sometimes guns shows are worth the price of admission...

Last edited:
man thats a neat little looking gun....i like that era of pistols. sweet, glad to hear someone scored at the show!

VERY cool! I want to shoot all your milsurps, but especially that one. And to expand just a little on USMA-82's post, the m1914 is designed after the earlier Steyr-Mannlicher M1900/1901/1905. I have a M1905 and if you look at it below you can see the similarities between the two. Neither mine nor USMA-82's are common guns, although his shoots a more common caliber while mine shoots 7.63Mannlicher (basically a longer, rimless .32acp). Looking closer I see other differences, such as magazine vs. clip feed, sideplate vs. none, grips held in place via slots vs. screws, and lanyard placement. On the other hand the slide looks more or less the same; I bet some parts are even directly interchangeable (that latch assembly looks identical).

The m1914 was formally issued IIRC, while the M1900/1901/1905's were only used sparingly in WWI by officers whom privately purchased theirs. The M1905 was also contracted to Argentina. About 12,000 total of all Steyr-Mannlicher models were produced.

BTW, there was an article about the m1914 in a recent issue of G&A. Anyhow, they are interesting guns for sure. I'd have snatched it up too. Nice find!

pix489687987.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... that is a sweet little oddball gun. I would have snapped up that in a heartbeat. Nice score. Now I want one. :)

Great find Ken!! When you showed it to me at the gun show I was very impressed with the condition. The price was great as well.
Congratulations on a very nice addition to your collection.

Hi I am new to this forum, and have a question for USMA-82. I have a Star model 1914 exactly like yours. However mine is missing the firing pin assy. I would love to be able to see your assy. As you know there are no parts or manuals available for these pistols. I am inside the 495 mass pike 140 area also. If you see this and can respond I would appreciate it. I have access to machining expertise but need an example to follow. thanks

Hi I am new to this forum, and have a question for USMA-82. I have a Star model 1914 exactly like yours. However mine is missing the firing pin assy. I would love to be able to see your assy. As you know there are no parts or manuals available for these pistols. I am inside the 495 mass pike 140 area also. If you see this and can respond I would appreciate it. I have access to machining expertise but need an example to follow. thanks

I'll see what I can do about providing some pictures and measurements.

OK - here's what I got:

Pin: 43mm long by 3mm wide, with a narrower "pin area" of 13mm long x 2mm wide. Directly behind the narrowed pin is a scalloped-out area approximately 12mm long. This is where the bottom of the extractor mates with the pin, and retains it in the firing pin channel.

Firing Pin Spring: 14mm long x 3.5mm wide

I'll try to post some pics later.

star 1914 parts

great info. if you could supply 1 or 2 pics I think i might have a chance. Of course if there is a hidden Star parts depot or diagram archive I would love to know. Thank you for all the effort. great forum too!

star model 1914

Hi still hoping for picture of firing pin assembly. I am trying to determine how to post pictures of my pistol on the site. If you can post a picture it would be a great help. thanks my pictures will post soon. greg

Hi still hoping for picture of firing pin assembly. I am trying to determine how to post pictures of my pistol on the site. If you can post a picture it would be a great help. thanks my pictures will post soon. greg

Take picture, post using button shown below. If all fails, upload to imgur/photobucket and post link.

View attachment 178684

Back
Top Bottom