Saginaw Gear - 293,592
Grand Rapids - 223,620
Quality Hardware - 359,666
Rock-Ola - 228,500
Underwood - 545,616
Winchester - 809,451
Inland - 1,984,189

Pilgrim said:
Yup, about 6 million were made, but 'over the years' was actually about 3 years as I remember it..I don't have the book in front of me. More of them were made in a shorter time than any other gun.

And after ther war, we can add to that total the military carbines made by Howa and IMI (Japan and Israel).

Finally, we could add the commercial variants from Iver Johnson, Universal, and ... . OK, who else made commercial carbines?

Ray P said:
And after ther war, we can add to that total the military carbines made by Howa and IMI (Japan and Israel).

Finally, we could add the commercial variants from Iver Johnson, Universal, and ... . OK, who else made commercial carbines?

Nope, I don't count them. They're not M1's, they might be carbines by the definition but not M1 Carbines. M1 denotes USGI to me(this is a milsurp forum, remember). Also many of those were made from some USGI parts so you can't go and count them twice!

Going by your definition of an M1 carbine , they have been being made for over 60 years as Auto Ordnance is still making them !

Nope, there ain't any other M1 carbine than a USGI carbine, and I am unanimous in that.[grin]

Pilgrim said:
(snip)Nope, there ain't any other M1 carbine than a USGI carbine, and I am unanimous in that.[grin]
[laugh2] All the many voices in my head applaud your ability to find concensus![grin]

Back
Top Bottom