• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Standard Products M1 Carbine

Thanks

Thanks what I thought but was not sure. The last time I saw a "W" on a M1 Carbine barrel it did not have a circle around it like this one, maybe they used different types of stamps in different time periods?

Thanks.

stosh said:
Thanks what I thought but was not sure. The last time I saw a "W" on a M1 Carbine barrel it did not have a circle around it like this one, maybe they used different types of stamps in different time periods?

Thanks.
Not sure about that. I have seen them with the circle and just above that a plain W. It's not dated is it?

M1 carbine

That's probably it then, Winchester, if you have seen a circle associated with it, my experience with these was many years ago and do not remember much about these details. I do not see any dates stamped in it anywhere. The fellow I got it from believes it is a SA/SHM rebuild that was done circa 1946 immediately after WWII.

This is the breakdown he gave me:
Barrel = Winchester
Barrel Band = Winchester
Rear Sight = SA
Trigger Housing = National Postal Meter
Hammer = Winchester
Bolt = Underwood
Operating Slide = Inland

I wanted something that had a lot of life left in it to take to the range; looks like the bolt and barrel and other major metal parts on this one are just about new, does not look like it has been fired much at all since the SA rebuild.

Last edited:
That IS a Winchester barrel proof mark. I have one just like that on my Winnie.

It is Winchester's way of joining the W with the P (for passed). It's not uncommon to see the Winchester barrels with that mark.

There should be a barrel date stamp just behind the front sight on the top of the barrel. Is there a stamp inside the sling well on the left?

You finally got one? Looks good! You're gonna love the little carbine.

Post the APPROXIMATE serial number and I'll tell you when it was made (later tonight).

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks, yes, finally got one.

So that mark in the circle there with the "W" is a "P" for passed, now I see it.

I did a lot of looking, called around often, jumped in the car and darted off several times to see carbines that were represented to be excellent only to find out the seller's idea of excellent condition was a firearm barely functioning, learned a bit just by looking at many of them. Had some interesting experiences looking.

Came very close to purchasing one of the Auto-Ordnance-Kahr Arms, or Fulton Armory or Miltech or DGR refurbished carbines.

I will take a look for those stamps you describe so you can advise me on the info. Took it apart today and gave it a good cleaning, most of the parts looked new or practically new, the lettering is very crisp and sharp so do not think it likely that it was cleaned up and reparked but likely is what represented to be a fresh SA rebuild.

The stock looks like nice pieces of walnut and both pieces match perfectly in color and numbers stamped in them; the only flaw i could find anywhere beyond some minor dents in the stock is a dark spot in the wood underneath. So in general think I should be pretty happy with it. Very much looking forward to getting to the range.

Thank you very much guys for all your guidance.

Numbers

Pilgrim,
Serial # is 2050XXX and inside the sling well on left side is stamped "10", I also see that "10" stamped inside the upper forward stock piece. Thanks.

standard Products delivered 247,155 pieces to the Govt.

That serial number indicates it was made sometime in Nov 43.

The 10 in the stock and on the forearm is probably an IO - Inland replacement.

The book I have says that STD Prods actually used barrels from a 'pool' of the some other barrel mfgrs :

Underwood
Buffalo Arms
INLAND/GM
IBM
Marlin
Winchester

So it seems the Winchester barrel COULD be original.

Even tho it seems to be a 'mixmaster' (most are), you've got a nice looking relatively low production gun.

Thanks

Thanks, that is really great info, nice to know the date of manufacture and to know there is a possibility that the barrel could even be original, would account for the newness of the receiver being like the newness of the barrel.

I got three of the 15 round mags with it. What were the other options that were available to GIs, a 30 round mag? thought I also read something about a mag with a different follower that kept the bolt open on the last round, was that original GI also, or something that came later by aftermarket manufacturers?

30's came about when they started making the M2 version in select fire. They did keep the bolt open. There are also aftermarket 30 rnd mags.

You can put 30 round followers in 15 or 20 round mags to keep the bolt open on empty or you can modify one of the others by cutting a notch in the back of the follower for the polt to catch on.

AYP's were allegedly Dutch made. I believe that has been proved wrong and they are commercial, not USGI.

30 Round Mag

JonJ,
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking for a 30 rounder; have three 15 round mags and plan on getting a few more of those, but thought it would be nice to have just one 30 round mag.

M1 Inland Presentation Carbine w/ Walnut Case

I guess that one is ok if new in the box / presentation case appeals to you, but think I like my Standard Products Springfield Arsenal Rebuild better.

stosh said:
I guess that one is ok if new in the box / presentation case appeals to you, but think I like my Standard Products Springfield Arsenal Rebuild better.
And you aren't afraid to shoot it!

Standard Products vs Inland Presentation

Yes, exactly, comfortable shooting it; and has way more character than a carbine that has been spending its life hiding closed in a case in the dark, what kind of life is that for a military carbine.

M4

Thanks, I thought that might be the case, guess I'll get into the bidding, need a bayonet to keep my carbine company.

You're right, I had to learn this morning.
The links seem to look up a different item, whenever
newly clicked on.
Anyway, aren't the NPM Carbines pretty rare ?

Just tried to look it up again and found it's gone.

KIt is nice to know I'm not the only one getting screwy links from KTP.[grin]

While I'm not obsesed with them, I have owned and enjoyed a couple of "war babies" over the years. But I'm not enough of a fan to know the relative scarcity by brand name. Not too sure how rare the National Postal Meter M1 Carbine actually is, as so very many M1 carbines were made over the years.

Back
Top Bottom