Stamp came today :)

Mass-diver

NES Member
Wow, I haven't been this excited about gun stuff in looooong time. It's a form 1 - so now I need to pick out a 10.5 upper for this lower which may be at least month or two since I just dropped some cash on some home improvement stuff, but I'm super happy!

It took almost 7 months. I created a trust using quicken wills - it was a bit of a PITA and the waiting was killing me, but I can't wait to put together my first SBR!

Form 1 is if your building one, form 4 is a dealer transfer. Because I got mine through a form 4 the lower didn't need to be engraved with my name and city.

can you add different things to the trust through the years, say in 3 years you buy a new car or gun and you want to add it to your trust for your friend.

You can add anything you want to trust at any time, you just need it notarized for it to be official. Of course, each Nfa item requires its own stamp.

So for each stamp you just need to submit the same trust? Sorry for the questions, just trying to figure out the system. Congrats on the stamp!

I would not use anything but a dedicated firearms attorney to create a NFA trust. Many people use the Quicken method with decent results but the main purpose of a trust is NOT to bypass your COP, it is to designate what happens to your property when you die. I would also not put anything besides firearms in the trust.

the impression here is that getting into NFA firearms is as simple as creating a trust on Quicken, having it notarized, and then sending in a form 1 or 4. The process is a little more involved.

YMMV on all of this.

I would not use anything but a dedicated firearms attorney to create a NFA trust. Many people use the Quicken method with decent results but the main purpose of a trust is NOT to bypass your COP, it is to designate what happens to your property when you die. I would also not put anything besides firearms in the trust.

the impression here is that getting into NFA firearms is as simple as creating a trust on Quicken, having it notarized, and then sending in a form 1 or 4. The process is a little more involved.

YMMV on all of this.

I understand the need for an official NFA trust if I were buying all types of gnarly MG's, DD's, and can's, but for one or two SBR's that might be worth 1500 bucks, is it really worth the 800+ dollars?

I understand the need for an official NFA trust if I were buying all types of gnarly MG's, DD's, and can's, but for one or two SBR's that might be worth 1500 bucks, is it really worth the 800+ dollars?

If you only plan to have 1 or 2 inexpensive SBR's, certainly not from an inheritance perspective. From a legal perspective, maybe. I would rather have the blow back for an invalid trust fall in the lap of the law firm who created it rather than at my doorstep. It's rare, but it happens.

Also, imagine you die and it comes time for the wife to clean out the safe. Or you want your wife or brother to be able to shoot your SBR's at the range. Simply touching those NFA items is a no-no.

I paid $500 for my trust from Apple and it was worth every penny.

YMMV on all of this.

Lots and lots of people have used quicken with zero issues. Yes, if you are going to buy a couple 20k MGs I would have attorney, but for an sbr there's no reason not to use Quicken unless you have money to burn.

For me, getting into Nfa firearms was as easy as you described. The worst part was the 7 month wait.

Back
Top Bottom