• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

stainless ruger sr9c rusting

I bought a brand new ruger sr9c stainless and after only 10 days there is rust forming on the slide. I oil it and store it properly. Is anyone else having rusting issues?

YEP! top of the slide near the front site. and having trouble getting off.

bimetallic corrosion?

(would be an awsome name for a band, btw)

I had a Kimber stainless start rusting on me. I use *A LITTLE* bit of mother's chrome polish and that helped. Just a tad on a q-tip, gentle buffing. USE AS YOUR OWN RISK and try it under the slide first in a hidden spot to test.

Last edited:
I just got one but its the complete black model. I looked it over and so far no signs of rusting. I picked it up used so I know it has seen some range time and exposed to the elements.

It is on the top of the slide near the front site and rear site ...i store it in a dehumidified safe and is oiled everyday ...i think i might just duracoat it and call it a day ...but very disappointed in the product ...dont think ill buy another stainless anything ever again.thanks for the info guys

Why not a coat of Nu Finish car wax,I use it on metal surfaces that I think will rust. Stainless steel will rust you have to work a little harder a it that's all. A true rust resistent stainless would be so brittle that it would be useless for all intent and purposes.

Probably a good idea highlander. I had a motorcycle with chrome exhaust and it would pit constantly then one day I polished it then waxed it. No more pitting after that. Again, you might want to experiment with using the polish and wax underneath the slide just in case it discolors or gives you undisireable results somehow.

You get what you pay for. Its a fairly in expensive gun for reasons like this. Always buy quality. HK or nothing

You get what you pay for. Its a fairly in expensive gun for reasons like this. Always buy quality. HK or nothing

Ruger is not known for quality issues in my opinion but since your suggesting...

MassBan I would love to try out what you got for your HK carry gun - let us know and hopefully we can make it over to the range to toss some lead.

I'm in the shouth shore. Don't know how far that is from you. Let me know we could possible try to plan something

I'm in the shouth shore. Don't know how far that is from you. Let me know we could possible try to plan something

Well I am a member at Harvard and Haverhill, I will travel if you have a local club you shoot at?
What is your H&K carry piece? I have shot plenty of H&K's but if its something different I would love to get some trigger time on it :)

I don't belong to a range. Just got a nice spot and know the bog owner. I carry an HK usp compact 9. Got a bill Springfield trigger job. Polished all the trigger contact components. 10lb spring

I've had one for a couple months and this thread made me inspect it reallllly carefully, but I didn't see any visible rust. I've cleaned and (very) lightly oiled it any day it's been fired, but nothing special beyond that. Maybe I was lucky and got one made from a good batch of steel, but mine's still shiny after two months and about 1000 rounds.
frontsight.png

The stainless used in guns is corrosion resisitant not rustproof. i always usde a light coat of RemOil on all my guns.

Well im still oiling and storing it and the rust has stopped and the little rust that was starting is even lighter now so maybe just cause it was stored so long in a plastic bag from the shop....seems ok but will keep a close eye on it

Back
Top Bottom