• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stainless Maintenance

Bought my first stainless steel gun (P220 Elite) and had a question as to what to do and not to do regarding cleaning and storage. Just do the same thing as you would with a blued gun? Or is there some other precaution I should take with the stainless?

Stainless steel tends to be slightly softer than blued carbon steel of equivalent quality, but the different is negligible in most cases. There's no other care needed, and the corrosion resistance of stainless may make maintenance easier.

I've had a SS Ruger m77 for about 5 years, I take care of it the same as a blued rifle, keep it clean and oiled, I've probably only run 50-60 rounds through it but it's still in as new condition.

I bought a stainless ruger MKIII hunter, I got pitting in the fluted areas only?? Go figure.

I have since bought a extra dehumidifier, and many other anti rust stuff from the ruststore.com To this day I still am unsure of what happened. Usually my Rustington 870 is the first to show signs of moister in the safe.

Stainless steel is not stainless. It's corrosion resistant but it will rust. The internal parts may or may not be all stainless. If you don't clean after each use,you should at least wipe it down and lube the action after each use.

Thanks for the information. At my first range trip I was seeing all kinds of 'scratches' on the slide from handling and putting it down, etc. When I went to clean it last night all those 'scratches' just wiped off with a buffing rag. I clean my guns about every two range trips which average about 150 rounds each trip. So with your advice I'll do the same with the stainless and maintain it in much the same manner with a light oiling.

I was just never the flashy type and always liked black guns. But now that I have a stainless in .45 the extra weight to the gun is welcomed on the recoil.

Use a silicon cloth and wipe it down every time you use or wax them with Mothers Mag polish.

Back
Top Bottom