• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stag lower vs. Rock River Arms

I am not an AR guy. But I did get an Stag AR lower after Obama's entrance in Pennsylvania Ave. I had a lower parts kids and a skeletonized stock put on it. Still waiting for funds for the upper and barrel.

I have a buddy who has a Rock River Arms lower and is looking for a Stag. I told him I have one. He's interested in swapping them out. Is there any difference that should be a concern?

thanks for the imput!

I am not familiar with the RRA but it seems like Stags quality has gone down some with the huge demand however I have mainly seen this in their Uppers. However if the one you have is older (pre-obama/ pre-demand) it should be better.

* I am no expert this info is just my 2 cents from my personal experience

Last edited:
However if the one you have is older (pre-obama/ pre-demand) it should be better.

I"m VERY SURE it isn't pre-ban/pre-obama. I do know enough that if it was, I can have all the cool things that MA says are bad. You know, like, if I wanted to do a drive by baynetting!

I don't know what kind of trigger the RRA has. I do know that I like the stock I have on mine.

I am not an AR guy. But I did get an Stag AR lower after Obama's entrance in Pennsylvania Ave. I had a lower parts kids and a skeletonized stock put on it. Still waiting for funds for the upper and barrel.

I have a buddy who has a Rock River Arms lower and is looking for a Stag. I told him I have one. He's interested in swapping them out. Is there any difference that should be a concern?

thanks for the imput!

The difference in the lowers as far as quality is concerned is probably nil , I bought a Stag lower and the quality is awesome , just as good as the two Bushmasters I have/had as just as good as the Alexander Arms Grendel lower I have

As someone mentioned if it was the stage 2 trigger that might be something to sway you but chances are it wont , other than the roll mark quality should be about the same.

And your stock you may want to keep especially if he has a factory stock.

Last edited:
I should have been more clear. I didn't mean pre-ban just before the big rush hit when obama was elected. From right around the election when people started getting scared and buying like crazy the demand went up so much some companies quality control seems like it went down a little. Like I said before I am not sure about the RRA lower but I doubt it is much different than the Stag if it were me I might trade. There isn't really a lot that can be completely wrong with the lowers the tolerances could be off some but they either work or don't. Them being off a little isn't as important as if parts in the upper were off.

Last edited:
I own 2 RRA, 1 Stag, and 1 SW lower. and as far as the RRA and Stag go its pretty much which ever roll mark you like better. The quality is exactly the same as far as i noticed when I put a LPK in each of them.

CMT in Conn. makes both lower receivers the Stag and the Rock River receiver's are the same except for the roll marks.
Stag Arms is the retail business owned by CMT.
CMT currently manufacture about 75% of the lower AR receivers for the market. Most brands do not manufacture, they purchase from a machine co. that roll marks with their logo and ser. # for them. Just because the receiver has Rock River or DPMS or XXX, or XXX on it doesn’t mean they manufactured the part, Most of these companies do not even have machine shop capabilities. Everything they sell is purchased someplace else and sold as their parts/brand.

CMT in Conn. makes both lower receivers the Stag and the Rock River receiver's are the same except for the roll marks.
Stag Arms is the retail business owned by CMT.
CMT currently manufacture about 75% of the lower AR receivers for the market. Most brands do not manufacture, they purchase from a machine co. that roll marks with their logo and ser. # for them. Just because the receiver has Rock River or DPMS or XXX, or XXX on it doesn’t mean they manufactured the part, Most of these companies do not even have machine shop capabilities. Everything they sell is purchased someplace else and sold as their parts/brand.

Good point. This was posted once before, I don't remember who posted it the first time...but I remember coping it and sending to myself so I would have it when I had questions. I don't remember how old this is, so it might have changed since then.

Here is an incomplete list of who makes what (or used to as they switch manufactures from time to time. also sometimes brands are re-label (stamped logos), other times the finishing is done independently:

Lewis Machine & Tool
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett

Continental Machine Tool
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Colt
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision??

LAR Manufacturing
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical

JVP
Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms

Olympic
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)

Sun Devil
Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior
Superior Arms
Lauer

Until their 2015 BK filing Colt machined their receivers from raw forgings in house. that list is incorrect..... on others, as well.

This is an old thread. The market has changed. The AR boom changed things since 2010 most AR receivers are being made by the companies that are named on the receiver, although there are still a few that still use other companies to machine there receivers. Almost all these companies realized all they need is a CNC cabinet and forgings or castings. Most of these companies do not forge or cast so these parts come from another company the finished product does.

I have had both since 2008 , no problems
STAG got abused , sold and continues its abuse. New barrel was installed at 10k plus rounds and He recently told me the bolt cracked about 2500 rounds into the new barrel.

Back
Top Bottom