Stag Arms leaving CT.

where are the larger companies joining the boycotts? With the exception of Barrett how many of these large companies have made any attempt to boycott these Totalitarian states? Everything they have done is about the all mighty dollar, they dont give 2 ***** whether or not our 2A rights are intact.

Magpul is decent sized. 600 employees, 100million in sales.

I'm glad they are standing up and making themselves be heard with their $ that the state won't see. However, I'm willing to bet that many of the CT crazies are only too happy to see them go. They're probably thrilled to lose all that nasty blood money.

I don't think it matters if it's 'easier' for a big or small company to pick up and move, because it's not easy for either. Hopefully some states will subsidize some aspects to ease the financial part, but that's not all of it. It's easy for us to sit here and lambast a company for not leaving, but there's more to it than many of us can understand. It's not just the cost of the move, it's disruptions in production leading to more lost revenue, getting a new facility, obtaining permits/licenses, getting up and leaving your life behind, possibly leaving your family, and asking your employees, who may be long-time friends, to do the same. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than even that.

I'm not a fan of Remington taking money and staying, but they took fed $ just now (and a contract, not a handout), not NY $. They did take $5.6 million from NY state a few years ago, but that was before this recent crap, so I'm not sure how I judge them just yet. If I'm wrong about the details, someone please correct me.

I applaud any company that even seriously considers leaving, and I have a ton of respect for any company that actually pulls it off. They will definitely earn my business in the future.

I'm glad they are standing up and making themselves be heard with their $ that the state won't see. However, I'm willing to bet that many of the CT crazies are only too happy to see them go. They're probably thrilled to lose all that nasty blood money.

I don't think it matters if it's 'easier' for a big or small company to pick up and move, because it's not easy for either. Hopefully some states will subsidize some aspects to ease the financial part, but that's not all of it. It's easy for us to sit here and lambast a company for not leaving, but there's more to it than many of us can understand. It's not just the cost of the move, it's disruptions in production leading to more lost revenue, getting a new facility, obtaining permits/licenses, getting up and leaving your life behind, possibly leaving your family, and asking your employees, who may be long-time friends, to do the same. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than even that.

I'm not a fan of Remington taking money and staying, but they took fed $ just now (and a contract, not a handout), not NY $. They did take $5.6 million from NY state a few years ago, but that was before this recent crap, so I'm not sure how I judge them just yet. If I'm wrong about the details, someone please correct me.

I applaud any company that even seriously considers leaving, and I have a ton of respect for any company that actually pulls it off. They will definitely earn my business in the future.

You don't think that fed money had nothing to do with Chuck Schumer, Cuomo and all the other D's? The obama admin awards the contract, I don't know for sure whether it was bribe money but I wouldn't be surprised.

A move would be a long term plan. Remington is a big company and they would get big money to move. Where would anyone move? Down south, to texas, Georgia, SC, etc. And with that, they would pay much less in taxes in their new state, have lower regulations, etc. Most companies are moving down south in all industries because of the much better business environment. Why are they different? Heck, NY state is losing millions of people, nevermind just the businesses. They lost the most people between 2000 and 2010. I think they lost 9% of their people. NY is going down the sh!tter just like CA and the other liberal hell holes and people are fleeing.

Oh yeah? try it sometime.

In a very small (40 person) company, damn near everyone is a "key employee" and if a few can't/won't relocate that can severely hurt a company. In a huge company (1000s of employees) replacing a few (or small percentage) employees has less immediate impact on the company.

If you are looking to buy a house, how long does the process take? Can you do it and move in a week or two? I'll bet no. Now think of a mfg plant that needs extra electric and plumbing capacity (infrastructure), buildings, permits, etc. It's not a fast process, nor is it an easy thing to do.

These are manufacturing jobs, it hurts the supply chain, for every 1 direct job lost, there are 3-4 indirect jobs affected.

So very true.

As I said in another thread, the state couldn't give 2 shits if they leave. In fact the Governor basically called them all murderers and wants to shut them down anyway.

You have it backwards. Stag is leaving and PTR is considering.

No disrespect meant, but I believe you have it backwards...PTR is leaving and Stag is considering. Here in CT on local TV news, as well as the article you cited, PTR has announced their departure. Stag hasn't made any official announcements regarding a move, other than they are considering it.

They also don't have the pull or get the offers the large companies do. It's not all about pure integrity. I'm sure the logistics of moving Remington are just a bit more involved than moving the 40 person Stag operation.
While I still applaud the small companies sending a message, I'm not quite as quick to attribute to a higher moral standard since its generally a lot easier for a small company to relocate than a large one.

Stag has 200 employees and the biggest hook that the president has for staying is his employees. Almost all are machinists that have families here, and its a tight knit group of workers. With a low turn over (most of the employees have been there since day one) finding that many people to replace that are so tuned to your specific operation is never easy, and as Mark Malkowski said he owes his business to them.

I was there when he testified against the AWB clearly you can see his emotion in how much he wants to stay in New Britain Connecticut.

Born in NB, raised in NB, nearly all of his workers are from NB (Polish), this isn't a person that's willing to throw out his life over some dollar bills and to imply otherwise is an insult to his character.

Stag may have 400 employees but if their parent company CMT also goes that number goes up. Add all the suppliers and other local factors and it can make a difference.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

They need to plan to leave before they can actually leave.

I shit you not, this is not a John Madden "what they need to do is score more points than the other team" adage. Here's the CT page on the law. The best part is that you need to notify the Rapid Response Unit at least 60 days before the layoff/closing. This shit is straight out Atlas Shrugged.

Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act

WORKER ADJUSTMENT AND RETRAINING NOTIFICATION (WARN) ACT

The WARN Act is a federal law requiring employers of 100 or more full-time workers to give 60-days advance notice of a plant closing or mass layoff. This federal law applies to employers in the State of Connecticut.
Employers with 100 or more full-time workers are affected if they:

• close a facility or discontinue an operating unit with 50 or more workers; or
  • lay off 50-499 workers (and these workers comprise at least 33% of the total workforce at a single site of employment); or
  • lay off 500 or more workers at a single site of employment.
The law requires that this notification be given to the appropriate local chief elected official, the Dislocated Worker Unit of the State Department of Labor, and the collective bargaining representative of affected employees or each employee if the employees do not have such representation.
Written notification should be printed on company letterhead, signed by the authorized employer representative, and addressed to:

Rapid Response Unit
Connecticut Department of Labor
200 Folly Brook Boulevard
Wethersfield, CT 06109-1114

This notification should include: the name and address of the employment site where the plant closing or mass lay off will occur; the date(s) of proposed closing or mass layoff; the number of affected workers, and address of their collective bargaining representative and chief elected officer if applicable; and, the name, address, and telephone number of the employer representative to contact regarding the closing or mass layoff.

the smaller companies seem to have more integrity then the larger ones with the exception of hopefully Beretta

It's also much easier for a small company to move. Large companies have significantly more equipment that has to be relocated or replaced. They also have larger skilled work forces that have to relocate or be replaced. I can't begin to guess how long it would take a company like Smith & Wesson to move their entire operation out of MA and get it up and running in another state. The cost would have to include lost sales because their production equipment was off line for a substantial amount of time.

It's also much easier for a small company to move. Large companies have significantly more equipment that has to be relocated or replaced. They also have larger skilled work forces that have to relocate or be replaced. I can't begin to guess how long it would take a company like Smith & Wesson to move their entire operation out of MA and get it up and running in another state. The cost would have to include lost sales because their production equipment was off line for a substantial amount of time.
Larger companies also tend to have much deeper pockets to facilitate such a move and are also prone to receiving better relocation perks from other local and state governments who really want them.

Growing up in that area where Stag is located I knew some machinists that worked for them. Most of the people there are Polish (I am to, no puns) and we tend to stay put and raise many generations in the same community. Stag moving would put many people between a rock and a hard place, If the economy wasn't so bad, I bet many people would say screw it and stay while Stag moved out of state. Since the CT economy is in the crapper, people might have no other choice other than to move with the company. I should hit up the people I knew that worked there and find out what their info is, its been a while since I lived in CT.

Their whole operation all at once, maybe not. But, have you seen any of the S&W's with the "Made in Houlton Maine" slide stamping? They've been doing it for awhile now. Started out with small items, like handcuffs and knives. Then they made a small .22 semi auto, now I see they are doing a little more. I think S&W is being smart about it.

I heard that Stag was staying put now because Ct. had given them / was going to give them tax incentives not to leave.

if Mark is playing just playing CT over cash and does not leave, we can play them over cash.

They need to plan to leave before they can actually leave.

I shit you not, this is not a John Madden "what they need to do is score more points than the other team" adage. Here's the CT page on the law. The best part is that you need to notify the Rapid Response Unit at least 60 days before the layoff/closing. This shit is straight out Atlas Shrugged.

Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act

Rapid response unit. More like the "WTF we gonna do now" unit.

I heard that Stag was staying put now because Ct. had given them / was going to give them tax incentives not to leave.

Staying now would be like the battered wife syndrome. "No really, he promised not to the beat the crap out of me again. I believe him this time. "

I am a Stag owner. No specifics [wink]. If they stay in CT, I will simply not buy from them anymore. There are PLENTY of other reputable manufacturers out there. For me, there are even a few local manufacturers that I would like to support.

Mark should leave CT and say " dont worry gov malloy, you will make plenty of sales tax off all the compliant stag ar15's I will sell in CT"

Back
Top Bottom