• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stag Arms Carbine

Ok fellas need to know if anyone else has run into this. I bought a nice ACOG a while back, but never got any real trigger time to dial it in. My rifle never produced the groups I was use to with my military rifles. So I also put in a Chip Mccormick trigger as well. And still did not get the accuracy I wanted. I normally run 62GN mil surplus. I took her to the range yesterday to really dial it in and she what she can do. I could not get this rifle to group well at all I mean the bullets where all over the place. I had a great sight picture. I had my buddy try a sting of 10 rounds, and he had the same results. So it took my jitteryness out of it. Then I was thinking maybe I had a crap scope, after spending what I did for it, and 120 rounds expended I was getting pretty angry. Last mag I had was 55gn mil surplus. And low and behold all 30 rounds in a nice tight group not a single flier. Now I know 62 gn mil surplus is run thru a 1-7 twist barrel in the military. And mine is a 1-9, I just assumed my barrel would still stablize a 62gn bullet. I even tried two different lots of 62gr ammo, with same results. Has anyone else had a 1-9 twist barrel that would not shot 62GN ammo? I will get back to the range and put a bunch more 55gn ammo thru her to confirm. But I am kind of bummed cause now I have a bunch of 62gn ammo I cant shoot, anyone live near Concord NH and want to trade up 200 rounds of decent 55 gn ammo for 62gn surplus?

I hear all the time about 1-9 barrels shooting 62gn's all day with no issues. I am gonna do another test next time I am at the range try 55gn ammo then 62, and see what happens. If there all over the place still than I think my optics are messed up. better yet the easiest way to figure out if it's the optics is just to take em off and run my open sights and see what groups I get. Cause you all are right the barrel should in all rights stablize a 62gn bullet. Cause when I am shooting at 50yards seriously the bullets are all over the place. And I qualify expert every time I requal on the M-4.

Last edited:
When it comes to rifle accuracy, nothing is written in stone. Just because something should work in your rifle, it doesn't mean it will. You just have to try several different types and weights of ammo and see what works best in your particular rifle.

Well I finally got to the bottom of my lack of accuracy. While giving the rifle a good look over, I gripped my free float foregrip, and barrel at the same time and saw my whole barrel was flexing a good bit. Took it to the gun smith and mysuspisions were correct my barrel nut was only hand tight.

Back
Top Bottom