• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Stag Arms - AR-15 - Would You Buy?

Hi All - I was checking out the Stag and Bushmaster AR-15's this weekend. According to the dealer, both guns were equipped with exactly the same parts from the same vendors (he couldn't speak to the internals of the receiver). I've read a few reviews (on this forum and others) and I "think" I'm hearing reasonably good things about the stag, but wanted to throw it out there for feedback, especially from any owners.

This grid worries me about Stag and BM. Not sure how current it is: http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

Questions:

• Would you purchase a Stag? If yes, what model?
  • Do you feel the QA is up to par?
  • For the same money (~$850), do you think there is a better choice?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I bought the 1L a few years back and I have no issues with it. Very good gun. No QA issues at all.

For the money is there better out there? Not sure.

My first AR was a Stag. Initially, I had problems with the Gas Key not being Staked properly but Stag took care of it for me. Their customer service is very good and the turnaround time was very quick.

It's fired flawlessly since, probably around 4-5k rounds...

Last edited:
I own a stag and have had good luck with it. It's reasonably accurate for an AR. I'm at the point where I'm ready for something better. I do know people who have had QC issues with their uppers. YMMV.

My Stag Model 8 has gone back to Stag twice for repairs. Ist time they replaced the entire upper and had the gun back to me in a week. Upon recieving the gun, the area by the barrel extension started to rust heavily. I called Stag and the Gun was sent back. I never even got to fire the new upper. Buy a Colt or Bravo Company.

Last edited:
My Stag Model 8 has gone back to Stag twice for repairs. Ist time they replaced the entire upper and had the gun back to me in a week. Upon recieving the gun, the area by the barrel extension started to rust heavily. I called Stage and the Gun was sent back. I never even got to fire the new upper. Buy a Colt or Bravo Company.

They do have a "lifetime" warrantee I hear

A Stag was my first AR. Its my beater and has never failed me yet. Thousands of rounds down the pipe. I would recommend it.

I have a 20 inch D.I. Stag thats been perfect,The model 8 not so much YMMV.

My first AR is a Stag 4 (20" A3...removable handle, old school but still scopable). Very happy with it. Probably the best quality/support for the price in a prebuilt AR. I also like that the AWB/Mass version comes standard with a pinned muzzle brake that works quite well. Others like Sig and S&W appear to do an empty muzzle. Stag tends to have just a few models, all in L or R handed. BM will have many more model variations, so it depends on how particular you are.

Spike's is about the same price, maybe slightly more if you have them massify it. IMHO it's a much closer to mil-spec rifle than Stag. You may be able to find a discount code on ar15dotcom. Also, try pricing Spike's upper with the lower of your choice.

I have a Stag 3 and love it. I've put about 3k to 4k rounds down it with no problem whatsoever. Although I may someday get a higher end AR with a bull barrel, I'll still be keeping my Stag.

I just bought a Stag Model 3. It's my first AR. I reload .223 for my dad, so I tried it out. I wasn't expecting much from an entry level AR.

With my 69 gn handloads (which were fine in the 1:9 twist barrel), I shot 8 groups @ 100yrds. With the help of some optics here are the results:

String# ShotsGroupBullet
161.65"69gn Nosler
251.30"69gn Nosler
351.62"69gn Nosler
451.45"69gn Nosler
552.15"69gn Nosler
651.45"69gn Nosler
751.15"69gn Nosler
871.08"69gn SMK
Tot/Ave431.48"

1.5 MOA gun out of the box (w/ handloads). I shot a few groups of American Eagle 55gn bulk and they grouped around 3" to 3.5".

Below is group #8...a 7 shot ~1 MOA group. For a bone stock, non-target, sub $800 AR, this completely exceeded my expectations!

Stag_Nosler_69_grp0001.jpg

Last edited:
I have the model H2 carbine. purchased in 2008. Has had no issues and eats everything chambered so far.
I have been useing it at the clubs CMP clinic shoot and been shooting in the low 400s with off the shelf ammo.
I did run some hand loads through it 69gn FMJHP match @ 2800 fps off a lead sled rifle rest was getting 2.5ish5 shot groups@ 100 yards.
STAGS parent company is Continental Tool and Die and believe they make a lot of stuff for a lot of other AR companies.

So far I'm hearing a lot of really positive feedback for Stag (across various models). Thanks so far. I've been leaning this way and you are helping me make up my mind on this. Their lifetime warranty is nice too.

This grid worries me about Stag and BM. Not sure how current it is: http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.g...124511-AR15-s-Who-makes-the-best-ones-and-why

I think that grid very much geared towards building a combat grade mil-spec AR. But if you are hunting, or plinking, or target shooting...then maybe some of the things on there aren't so important. For example.. if you plan on putting on an ACOG, who cares about the height of the Front Site base? If you are shooting 77gn + bullets, then a 1:7 twist is a must (which is what long distance competition shooters shoot), but if you are shooting 55gn to 69gn bullets inside of 200 yards...then that requirement is meaningless.

Other things like the bolt or the handguards, can easily be "upgraded" later if you feel you need them. In the end having a bead on your own requirements is the most important (and for me hardest) part.

Hopefully the AR cognoscenti will weigh in too, cause maybe I have this wrong.

Last edited:
It had me worried too, but if you read all the supporting info there are some caveats. I assume you read this thread:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/124511-AR15-s-Who-makes-the-best-ones-and-why

I think that grid very much geared towards building a combat grade mil-spec AR. But if you are hunting, or plinking, or target shooting...then maybe some of the things on there aren't so important. For example.. if you plan on putting on an ACOG, who cares about the height of the Front Site base? If you are shooting 77gn + bullets, then a 1:7 twist is a must (which is what long distance competition shooters shoot), but if you are shooting 55gn to 69gn bullets inside of 200 yards...then that requirement is meaningless.

Other things like the bolt or the handguards, can easily be "upgraded" later if you feel you need them. In the end having a bead on your own requirements is the most important (and for me hardest) part.

Hopefully the AR cognoscenti will weigh in too, cause maybe I have this wrong.

Yes, I pulled it from the discussion under the sticky http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/124511-AR15-s-Who-makes-the-best-ones-and-why. The folks in that thread refer to it a lot.

They have a lifetime warranty and great customer service for a reason, they need it.

I had one and it was picky on ammo. I need a gun to go bang when i pull the trigger with whatever ammo i put in it.

I was able to get a Daniel Defense upper with a lower i slapped together for $750.

Ultimately what do you want to do with the gun? look badass at the range, shoot from a bench a 100 rounds a weekend, then get the cheapest AR you can find and it will perform.

If you compete or do carbine classes where you shoot 4-500 rounds a day, i would look elsewhere than Stag.

I've got a Stag Model 2 and I love it. I haven't had any problems with mine, only had it for about 2 months, but i've put between 1.5-2k rounds through it so far. I'd say go for it.

Anyone have any experience (or research) or opinions on the Model 8 (piston) or piston in general? It's going for about $250 more than the model 3

imgsmth_2009_06_19_0156_2-tfb.jpg

Hi All - I was checking out the Stag and Bushmaster AR-15's this weekend. According to the dealer, both guns were equipped with exactly the same parts from the same vendors (he couldn't speak to the internals of the receiver). I've read a few reviews (on this forum and others) and I "think" I'm hearing reasonably good things about the stag, but wanted to throw it out there for feedback, especially from any owners.

This grid worries me about Stag and BM. Not sure how current it is: http://gunfacts.webs.com/M4Chart1.gif

Questions:

• Would you purchase a Stag? If yes, what model?
  • Do you feel the QA is up to par?
  • For the same money (~$850), do you think there is a better choice?
Thanks in advance.

i used the same grid chart when making my decision and went with a spikes tactical. they arent on the chart and arent stocked locally (that i know of) but spec for spec if you go down that chart they are up there with the best for a considerable amount less. i got mine just under a grand and i upgraded to troy rear flip and a chrome bolt. great rifle and will be building another one now that i am more familiar with ar's. btw: guys over at spikes (including owner) talk directly to their customers through a public forum like this one. good luck and dont go with a piston system (until theres a military/industry standard)

It all boils down to expected use and whether you know what you want or not.

If you're just having fun at the range, look at stags, bm's and dpms' at local gun shops. You can hold them, find the one that's comfortable, and have a decent rifle to screw around with once or twice a month.

If you're looking for a rifle that won't let you down, (and you know what you want), order a spikes, bcm, etc.

My philosophy is this ...YMMV.

If you get into AR shooting, you'll likely have more than one. Alot of people I know w/ tier 1 AR's (or several), also have some tier 2 "range beaters". At some point I think I'll get a BCM; it all depends on how often I really use it.

If you don't get into AR shooting, you'll end up selling it...or using it as an occasional range toy in which case it probably doesn't matter where it places on the chart.

If you absolutely know you will only buy one AR, and you want the best...then stick w/ the BCM, DD etc.

If you want a piston gun, I'd probably not go w/ the AR platform. Get a Sig 556 or some other platform that was designed specifically for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom