SR9C Firing Pin

I am having a recent issue with my SR9C. I bought this gun a while ago, never had any problems. Last time I went to the ranger (few weeks ago) I noticed I was having a lot of ammo that was not beinc fired when I pulled the trigger, but I could clearly see where the pin hit. So yesterday I had this problem but was more prominent, so I tried a buddies M&P9 with the same ammo and had no problems.... anyone ever have any issues with the firing pin on the SR9C? It appears that the pin just isn't striking correctly.

Remove the magazine disconnect. I had the same issue

Just picked up one of these recently (in MA). Although the manual says it has a magazine safety, mine fires with the magazine not inserted. Wonder if this was a recent change by Ruger, or if the gun was mod'ed before it was sold.

I got mine in MA as well, and I have no heard they changed that. Did you buy used or new?

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to do that when I get home! Thank you!

Mine had the mag disconnect removed before it was passed along to me. I have never seen or heard of this issue myself. I would take bkrbkr19 advice to start and see if the problem goes away.

FireJunkie12 said:
I am having a recent issue with my SR9C. I bought this gun a while ago, never had any problems. Last time I went to the ranger (few weeks ago) I noticed I was having a lot of ammo that was not beinc fired when I pulled the trigger, but I could clearly see where the pin hit. So yesterday I had this problem but was more prominent, so I tried a buddies M&P9 with the same ammo and had no problems.... anyone ever have any issues with the firing pin on the SR9C? It appears that the pin just isn't striking correctly.

I had the exact same issue with mine. My issue was a build up of brass "shavings" in the striker channel. I disassembled and cleaned out the brass and have never had an issue again. Before assuming the firing pin is the suspect, try that. YMMV

Ditch the mag safety and clean the channel with qtips and alcohol

This, but at the heart of the issue I'm having a hard time believing that brass shavings (or anything else) could funk up the gun so badly that the mag disconnect is defeated. If that were the case, with that much crud in the slide you'd at least be having firing pin issues as indicated in the OP.

Clean out the firing pin chamber. Q-tips lots of Q-tios

Sounds like the firing pin and the firing pin channel is full of factory grease/crud. When I first bought my SR9c I stripped it all down and cleaned all the gunk off. I couldn't believe how much was on the firing pin and in the channel. Use q-tips and alcohol. Then dry fire it a couple times and then take her to the range and use some good ammo.

My wife got one recently, and we're in NH. I thought it had a mag safety but it dry fires fine and I didn't need to push the thinger forward to take it apart like I do with my P345.

We had 3 duds in a single box of WWB last week with a noticeable dent in the primer of each after trying to fire. So far I've just chocked it up to shit ammo but will keep noting. I've never had such a high dud ratio.

Sounds like the firing pin and the firing pin channel is full of factory grease/crud. When I first bought my SR9c I stripped it all down and cleaned all the gunk off. I couldn't believe how much was on the firing pin and in the channel. Use q-tips and alcohol. Then dry fire it a couple times and then take her to the range and use some good ammo.

^ This. + remove that damn mag safety.

I did the "pen test" and before cleaning it would barely budge the pen. After cleaning and removing the mag safety it shot it across the room.

If you're unfamiliar with the pen test:
1. Safety check the gun. I shouldn't have to say this but I will.
2. Point gun up, insert a pen (I use a Bic) with a flat end on it (so the striker has something to hit).
3. Hold the loaded chamber indicator out of the way so the pen sits all the way down.
4. Point in a safe direction (not the ceiling unless you want ink on your ceiling). Again, I shouldn't have to say this but I will.
5. When you're certain it's safe, pointed in a safe direction and all other gun safety rules have been followed, pull the trigger.
6. If pen barely moves or just trickles out the end of the gun, your striker is weak. The most common culprit is a dirty striker channel and/or striker assembly. I cleaned both with Simple Green and water, then blew it dry with an air compressor.
7. Repeat pen test.

If you need help with removing the striker assembly, mag safety or anything, shoot me a PM. The SR9c is too awesome a gun to be unhappy with it.

Disclaimer: Be safe. If you do something stupid and someone gets hurt, it's your own damn fault.

Back
Top Bottom