• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SR22 Jam Questions

My apologies but this may be a very silly question. I don't have a ton of experience with rimfire.

I've a got a Live (I believe) round stuck in the barrel of my new SR22. I dropped the magazine and racked the slide a few times with no luck.

I tried to pry it out with a small piece of cardboard, again no luck.

Next, (Maybe this was a mistake) I took the slide and spring off to get a better angle with the cardboard.

Now I have a barrel with a .22 stuck in it.

I was thinking I could :
(A) Put it in a vice and carefully try to pry it with a plastic automotive trim tool
(B) Attack it from the other end with a small wooden Dowel.

What would be safest? Am I an idiot for even considering doing this at home & not on the range, or am I totally over thinking this and should just yank it out.

Thanks.

Do you know what caused it to expand so much? Did you fire or tru to fire the round or was it stuck without trying to fire it

Use an eyeglasses screw driver and hook the rim of the case where the extarctor for would have hooked it and just pry it out.

There's no risk of prying on a rim fire?

Also for the record, it was brand new 40 Grain Federal Ammo

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know what caused it to expand so much? Did you fire or tru to fire the round or was it stuck without trying to fire it

Yes, I tried to fire. There's an impression from the pin.

You can pry it out. The eim needs a hard quick hit to go off. Bit why is it stuck?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I tried to fire. There's an impression from the pin.

Ok so ya pry it out. Save what you can and figure out what went wrong.

Crisis Averted.

I tried prying with a plastic tool and got no where.

Then i stuck a bamboo skewer in the muzzle and marked the end muzzle location. When I removed the skewer, I held it against the barrel and determined it wasn't a live round.
Then I stuck it bamboo back in and waked it a few times with a hammer until the casing came out.

The top of it (closest to the bullet) is noticeably way out of round.

Thanks Everyone.

Always good to bring a multi-tool pair of pliers to the range. Had this happen a few times with an SR-22.

I didn't clean it when I bought it. To be honest I've never cleaned a bran new gun. This is the first time it's come back to bite me in the ass.

rimfires aren't as forgiving, gotta clean them out well once in a while. Particularly important to clean & lube it when new.

Mine has done this a few times when the pistol is very very dirty. If the case is out of round I'd guess it's ammo related.

I've had it happen once with mine so far... with a clean gun. Was running Remington JHPs. Like the OP I was leery of messing with what could have been a live round, so brought it to one of the range staff disassembled... and like you said, he pried it out with a pocket knife. Checked that the bore was clear, reassembled and resumed shooting.

I've had it happen once with mine so far... with a clean gun. Was running Remington JHPs. Like the OP I was leery of messing with what could have been a live round, so brought it to one of the range staff disassembled... and like you said, he pried it out with a pocket knife. Checked that the bore was clear, reassembled and resumed shooting.

You can always check of live by looking down the barrel. [rofl]

Remove the slide and put an aluminum cleaning rod down the muzzle end and tap it out, don't mess with the rim.

Never use a wooden dowel to remove a stuck anything in a barrel. The wood will splinter and lodge beside the stuck bullet and worsen the problem.

Always use a brass or aluminum rod that is as close to the bore diameter as you can find and still move freely within it.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was my exact situation. Guy at the range must have had one because he seemed confident it was just a casing and had it out in about five seconds. I was using Winchester Super X. This was my only fte or FTF in my 600 or so rounds.

I didn't clean it when I bought it. To be honest I've never cleaned a bran new gun. This is the first time it's come back to bite me in the ass.

When I buy a NEW firearm I "ALWAYS" clean it!First off to remove any packing grease the use for long tern storage.

Secondly to get to know the firearm. I want to inspect it in greater detail, see how it works. Get it really clean and lubed properly. That way when I get it to the range I can test it properly. I also like to bring an assortment of ammo to see how it functions with each type.

Back
Top Bottom