Squirrel is open

Not sure when I’ll get out but I’m pretty excited for squirrel. One thing I learned last year: don’t under estimate them. Like others have said they can be tough to find, but squirrel themselves are tough critters. I didn’t have great results with the #6 steel shot 12ga loads I used on pheasant so I’m packing #4 lead this year. Had one particularly inhumane kill last year that prompted me to make this change.

Well, in the 9 hours I spent on Monday stalking and sitting for them I saw a few but they are keen to stay in the upper canopy when they sense you’re near. They are pretty tough to narrow down.

I've spent many hours in tree stands during deer season, and observed a lot of squirrels in the area. Some days they're very active, and other days they seem completely dormant. On the days they are very active, they seem to come out of hiding as soon as the sun climbs over the horizon. And on the quieter days, they'll be active only for maybe half an hour just before the sun sets. If I look out my window at any given time, it seems like I should be tripping over them.

When they are active, I've found that simply trudging along until I find a spot I want to sit, and then being still for 15-30 minutes, can draw them out.

Not sure when I’ll get out but I’m pretty excited for squirrel. One thing I learned last year: don’t under estimate them. Like others have said they can be tough to find, but squirrel themselves are tough critters. I didn’t have great results with the #6 steel shot 12ga loads I used on pheasant so I’m packing #4 lead this year. Had one particularly inhumane kill last year that prompted me to make this change.
#4 high brass is my choice. 1 1/4 ounce through a full choke. Squirrels may be small but their skin is tough.

Well, in the 9 hours I spent on Monday stalking and sitting for them I saw a few but they are keen to stay in the upper canopy when they sense you’re near. They are pretty tough to narrow down.
When they are in the canopy and too far for a shot you can move in closer just have to go slow and quiet. If they see you sometimes they go around the back side of the trunk of the tree or behind a large branch and sit still. If your hunting with a partner.....have one guy go around the back side while you point the shotgun up where you last saw it.....the squirrel will either come around to your side and you can get a shot or your partner will get a shot if he stays put. If your alone.......pick up a stick and throw it toward the back side of the tree......when it hits the ground sometimes that will make him move and you can get a shot. Taken many squirrels with that trick.

Are the only WMA lands on the state map? Not seeing anything in zone 7. Everything pretty far from me. Thought I was zone 9 I was mistaken.

MassWildlife does a crappy job identifying WMA land by Zone. The best way to find out the zone(s) is to pull up the WMA fact sheet that looks to be in the zone you are interested in.

Bob

Facing rock and the Ludlow Reservoir WCE are in Ludlow.
http://gisprpxy.itd.state.ma.us/MassWildlifeLands/pdf/FACING ROCK WMA.pdf

Herman covey:
http://gisprpxy.itd.state.ma.us/MassWildlifeLands/pdf/HERMAN COVEY WMA.pdf

Palmer WMA:
http://gisprpxy.itd.state.ma.us/MassWildlifeLands/pdf/PALMER WMA.pdf

Coy Hill:
http://gisprpxy.itd.state.ma.us/MassWildlifeLands/pdf/COY HILL WMA.pdf

Is there a reason you are using steel shot on squirrels and pheasant?

I have always used lead. It pattens better and kills better.

Bob

re: pellet gun

If the bore is rifled, it's considered a rifle.

Yes........but..... it isn’t a firearm.

The case law is clearer than the MGL.

“The Supreme Judicial Court instructed the lower court to reduce Raheem Garrett's conviction from armed robbery by means of a firearm to unarmed robbery.

"Because we conclude that a BB gun does not satisfy the statutory requirement for a 'firearm' ... the defendant's convictions of armed robbery by means of a firearm cannot stand," wrote SJC Associate Justice Fernande Duffly in the opinion.”

BB gun is not a firearm, Supreme Judicial Court says as it overturns Pittsfield man's armed robbery conviction - masslive.com

Bob

Is there a reason you are using steel shot on squirrels and pheasant?

I have always used lead. It pattens better and kills better.

Bob
I’d picked steel at first because I didn’t love the idea of lead in my food.

I’ve since read a couple articles and it I’m not worried anymore.

It worked just fine on the pheasants I got last season. Squirrels, not so much.

Yes........but..... it isn’t a firearm.

The case law is clearer than the MGL.

Bob

Yes, but this is with regard to hunting (CMR) not MGL. I have a species/implement spreadsheet from MA DFW, which mentions the rifle issues with regard to airguns. "If it has a rifled bore..." Same issue with using a muzzle loader, they defer to the bore being the determining factor if it's a rifle or not. I posted it here a while back, but I believe someone else posted a more recent copy.

Yes, but this is with regard to hunting (CMR) not MGL. I have a species/implement spreadsheet from MA DFW, which mentions the rifle issues with regard to airguns. "If it has a rifled bore..." Same issue with using a muzzle loader, they defer to the bore being the determining factor if it's a rifle or not. I posted it here a while back, but I believe someone else posted a more recent copy.

Agreed. It’s in the definitions section of MGL section 121:
“Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter140/section121

I’d be interested in the spreadsheet if you can post it, or link it.

Bob

I spoke with an EPO today. He researched and called me back twice. My break barrel pellet gun has a rifled bore. And is considered a rifle so I can not use it in zone 11 for hunting. I have to use my shotgun. He originally thought I was talking Zones 1-9. And said it couldn’t be used because they want to make sure you kill your target. That didn’t make much sense to me. You can wound an animal with anything if your shot is off. But anyway. I can’t use it for hunting in my zone.

I spoke with an EPO today. He researched and called me back twice. My break barrel pellet gun has a rifled bore. And is considered a rifle so I can not use it in zone 11 for hunting. I have to use my shotgun. He originally thought I was talking Zones 1-9. And said it couldn’t be used because they want to make sure you kill your target. That didn’t make much sense to me. You can wound an animal with anything if your shot is off. But anyway. I can’t use it for hunting in my zone.
Wow at least he called you back with an answer.

I never really understood the rifle restriction on squirrel the way it's written. 10-14 no rifle on squirrel but you can hunt rabbit with a rifle in 10-14. I get it that squirrels in trees mean an upward angle shot but if that's why there is a restriction why only in 1-9 especially the way they allow any rifle on squirrel in 1-9. You could legally use an m1 garand on squirrel in those zones. It's just strange.

Like I said .....in my opinion your better off with the shotgun anyway. Also.......zone 11 squirrel is not open until sat after Columbus day. squirrel is only open in 1-9 now.

Last edited:
I never really spent much time on squirrel but I keep an eye out for them during pheasant season. I'm in Z12 so for me it's shotgun only for squirrel. I would like to get out there when ever the season kicks off, but honestly I'm staying the F out of the woods right now until the first frost. Triple E is popping up all around my area. Goddamn mosquitoes. I don't like hunting when it's still this warm out anyhow. ;)

Is there any regulation on needing a plug in your shotgun. Looking on what has been linked here and just not sure. Passed my hunter Ed course last year. Want to stay legal and not run amuck of a law. How about amount of 22 rounds you can have in your rifle, ie a marlin tube fed holding 18 ok? A 10 round 1022 mag ok? Anyone know if dean pond area in zone 9 can be hunted. Last I was there signs said it was permitted but doesn’t show up on the state map. Trying to get some squirrels in zone 9 zone 8 border area. Don’t have private property unfortunately. Trying to find somewhere near Hampden Wilbraham monson area

Dean pond is in zone 7/8 and is on Brimfield State Forest land, you can hunt it but common courtesy says don't hunt right near the pond where people fish and go to relax. Go across the road or up the road a bit and walk into the state forest. Print out a map of the state forest for yourself.

Are the only WMA lands on the state map? Not seeing anything in zone 7. Everything pretty far from me. Thought I was zone 9 I was mistaken.

There is a nice WMA right in zone 7, Palmer near the Swift River, go up river rd in Bondsville, go over the bridge by the launching area, take a right and it's about a mile down the road.

So no tree rats for anyone yet? I’ve only been out once so far but tomorrow I’ll do a sit and stalk.

Saturday was a wash with the rain, huh?
No. Boy turned 18. Celebrated by taking him for a tattoo lol....that's what he wanted. He's a good kid......straight a student ranked #7 out of 450 students academically. 3 sport athlete. I actually am proud of the dude!

He talked me into getting one too lol

Mine is the maple leaf and St Hubert's cross. His is the st Hubert's cross with just antlers. The antlers are an exact copy of the antlers of his first buck......artist took it from a photo.

28840.jpeg 20190914_152704.jpg

Not ashamed to say it but this was my first ever kill shot on a legally hunted animal. Sure, as a kid I’ve killed my fair share of small game for fun until I wisened up and my conscience took ownership.

It was a humbling experience even for such a small creature. I’m thankful for the chance to catch, cook, and eat this.

I spent all day in the woods today hunting squirrels, scouting, and setting up game cameras. I only left the woods once to pick up my Browning Gold Deer Hunter 12ga from Pullman Arms.

I was just walking back to my cuv on a logging road in Dcr land east of 190 and Lo!, a fatty squirrel popped ahead on the edge of the forest to rest on a log watching me from 40-50 yards. I pulled up the Ruger 10/22 with the red dot and mini mag CCI putting one right behind the upper shoulders clean through part of the spine as well. Death was about 30 secs.

9EB44331-056E-4483-B4FA-149FB6ACAC4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Not ashamed to say it but this was my first ever kill shot on a legally hunted animal. Sure, as a kid I’ve killed my fair share of small game for fun until I wisened up and my conscience took ownership.

It was a humbling experience even for such a small creature. I’m thankful for the chance to catch, cook, and eat this.

I spent all day in the woods today hunting squirrels, scouting, and setting up game cameras. I only left the woods once to pick up my Browning Gold Deer Hunter 12ga from Pullman Arms.

I was just walking back to my cuv on a login road in Dcr land east of 190 and Lo! A fatty squirrel popped ahead on the edge of the forest to rest on a log watching me from 40-50 yards. I pulled up he Ruger 10/22 with the red dot and mini mag CCI and put one right behind the upper shoulders clean through part of the spine as well. Death was about 30 secs.

View attachment 303457
Squirrel and gravy, squirrel pot pie, or fried squirrel?

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.....we all start somewhere and hunting squirrel in the woods is not "easy". Nice to hear you got something

I was just walking back to my cuv on a login road in Dcr land east of 190 and Lo! A fatty squirrel popped ahead on the edge of the forest to rest on a log watching me from 40-50 yards. I pulled up he Ruger 10/22 with the red dot and mini mag CCI and put one right behind the upper shoulders clean through part of the spine as well. Death was about 30 secs.

View attachment 303457

Congratulations on your first. Nicely done.

I would shoot a couple more and make a Brunswick stew.

Pick up a vacuum sealer when you get a chance. It will allow you to keep it fresher longer in the freezer. My first deer gets a double Saran Wrap. Anything else gets vacuum sealed.

Bob

So, I looked up Saint Hubertus. Saint of metal workers, opticians, hunters, and mathematicians. Also looks like the Jaegermeister label.

61-QVidzpdL._SX679_.jpg
s-l640.jpg
51FUgQHPozL._SX425_.jpg

So, I looked up Saint Hubertus. Saint of metal workers, opticians, hunters, and mathematicians. Also looks like the Jaegermeister label.

61-QVidzpdL._SX679_.jpg
s-l640.jpg
51FUgQHPozL._SX425_.jpg
Yes. Jeagaemeiater means hunt master in German.

I hate jeagaemeiater. Tastes like liccorice caught syrup.

Germans use st hubert to teach ethical hunting. Google his story.

Just a tip that works pretty slick on squirrels, download some eastern gray squirrel sounds on your cell phone and use them while you're hunting. A lot of times they will get squirrels to come in and bark and sound off. Also sometimes a good blast on a rabbit distress call will get them sounding off and moving also. You can also get red pine squirrel sounds too. My best spots include water, corn and BIG OLD oak trees. I also sit and scan cut corn fields with my spotting scope and snipe them with my .17 HMR.

Squirrel Calls - Squirrel Hunting Calls App | Decoy Pro

Last edited:
I was setting up some cameras last weekend and it looked there were way too many leaves on the trees for productive tree rat hunting.
But i may give it a go tomorrow. Zone 9

Back
Top Bottom