Squirrel is open

Was out today for 9 hrs in various spots with @Whutmeworry and we had a great time. I had a shot on two but didn’t take the first due to a branch. Second shot missed as well due to a branch and lead cover. Not many out there for our eyes and ears but at least we saw some.

Great start to the hunting season and Weds I’ll be at the lottery pick for the Wachusett reservoir hunt.

The first game to open in mass starts today. Zones 1-9 grey squirrel.

Can't make it out till Saturday......but Saturday morning I'll be ina woods in zone 9. Can't wait to take the shotgun for a walk for the first time this season.
Actually the first game was bear and Canada goose on 9/3 but we know those are too difficult to hunt and/or find in Zone 9.

Was out today for 9 hrs in various spots with @Whutmeworry and we had a great time. I had a shot on two but didn’t take the first due to a branch. Second shot missed as well due to a branch and lead cover. Not many out there for our eyes and ears but at least we saw some.

Great start to the hunting season and Weds I’ll be at the lottery pick for the Wachusett reservoir hunt.
Shotgun or rifle?

I used my Ruger 10/22 with a Bushnell red dot. The other two hunters used a Remington 1187 in 20ga and a scoped bolt action .22 mag.

This was my first time squirrel hunting so lots to learn. Not so easy as the lazy city dwellers. I’m confident to 50 yards for a kill. The canopy was pretty dense and shooting from sitting bull was a challenge. The only shot I made was standing looking upward.

I used my Ruger 10/22 with a Bushnell red dot. The other two hunters used a Remington 1187 in 20ga and a scoped bolt action .22 mag.

This was my first time squirrel hunting so lots to learn. Not so easy as the lazy city dwellers. I’m confident to 50 yards for a kill. The canopy was pretty dense and shooting from sitting bull was a challenge. The only shot I made was standing looking upward.
When I'm in the mood to be successful hunting squirrel....I bring the shotgun. Branches don't block a hit of #4 high brass through a full choke........and I can also hit em on the run.

For early season squirrel while leaves are still on the shotgun is best imo

Late season when the leaves are off I take a rifle now and then for the challenge.

If you hit a squirrel with a shotgun, what shape is it in after? Assuming you eat these critters? How much meat is on a squirrel? Not judging mind you, just curious.

If you hit a squirrel with a shotgun, what shape is it in after? Assuming you eat these critters? How much meat is on a squirrel? Not judging mind you, just curious.
Yes I eat them. I only hunt what I plan to eat.

1 squirrel makes an ok meal for 1 person.

It's a myth that shotguns "blow up" squirrels. I hunt them with a 12 gauge full choke using high brass #4. Keep in mind a shotgun is somewhat of a "3 dimensional" tool. As the target gets further From the gun the pellet pattern gets larger.....and less dense. You have to know your shotgun and how it patterns at different distances. A full choke 12 using #4 will absolutely destroy a squirrel at 20 yards or less.......so I don't shoot em at 20 yards or less.....or "lead off" a bit and hit em with the fringe. You have to know your gun. Most squirrels I take with that setup have been hit with between 5 and 10 pellets. Most of the pellets pass through all the way and are stopped by the hyde on the opposite side of where I shot it and are lying just under the skin. It's very rare that I find a pellet Actually in the meat. Squirrels have a thick and tough Hyde.

Last edited:
wait... aren't chipmunks open all year round????
Yes, the hunting season guide on the eregulations says this, "The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck."

Is there any regulation on needing a plug in your shotgun. Looking on what has been linked here and just not sure. Passed my hunter Ed course last year. Want to stay legal and not run amuck of a law. How about amount of 22 rounds you can have in your rifle, ie a marlin tube fed holding 18 ok? A 10 round 1022 mag ok? Anyone know if dean pond area in zone 9 can be hunted. Last I was there signs said it was permitted but doesn’t show up on the state map. Trying to get some squirrels in zone 9 zone 8 border area. Don’t have private property unfortunately. Trying to find somewhere near Hampden Wilbraham monson area

Is there any regulation on needing a plug in your shotgun. Looking on what has been linked here and just not sure. Passed my hunter Ed course last year. Want to stay legal and not run amuck of a law. How about amount of 22 rounds you can have in your rifle, ie a marlin tube fed holding 18 ok? A 10 round 1022 mag ok? Anyone know if dean pond area in zone 9 can be hunted. Last I was there signs said it was permitted but doesn’t show up on the state map. Trying to get some squirrels in zone 9 zone 8 border area. Don’t have private property unfortunately. Trying to find somewhere near Hampden Wilbraham monson area
Plugs only needed for waterfowl and migratory game birds. 3 rounds allowed, not 3+1. No plugs needed for any other mammals such as squirrel and deer. 10 rounds applies to tube feds, semi-autos, shotguns, etc. Even if tube feds are not clear in the law it’s better to be clear and have 10 only in the field. You’re not going to do mag dumps anyways.

If Dean pond is a “Great Pond” then you can hunt it unless the town or locale abutting certain sqft. of the shore puts up extra regulations.

For squirrels find private property where there are no signs. Of course prudence deems owner notification as the most sensible option.

Plugs only needed for waterfowl and migratory game birds. 3 rounds allowed, 3+1 in the chamber is OK. No plugs needed for any upland game bird and mammals such as squirrel and deer etc but type of shotshell is important. 10 rounds applies to tube feds, semi-autos, shotguns, etc. Even if tube feds are not clear in the law it’s better to be clear and have 10 only in the field. You’re not going to do mag dumps anyways.

If Dean pond is a “Great Pond” then you can hunt it unless the town or locale abutting certain sqft. of the shore puts up extra regulations.

For squirrels find private property where there are no signs. Of course prudence deems owner notification as the most sensible option.
Corrections bold, italicized, and underlined.

Corrections bold, italicized, and underlined.
For waterfoul:

3 + 1 is NOT ok. The plug needs to keep the mag tube to 2 rounds! Therefore the gun only holds 3 total shells. 2 in the mag (because the plug limits it to 2 shells). plus one in the pipe.

For squirrel hunt any wma property that has oak stands and you should be successful.....and legal as it's a wma.

For waterfoul:

3 + 1 is NOT ok. The plug needs to keep the mag tube to 2 rounds! Therefore the gun only holds 3 total shells. 2 in the mag (because the plug limits it to 2 shells). plus one in the pipe.
I stand corrected due to the letter of the law:

SHOTGUN Migratory game birds may be hunted with shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, fired from the shoulder. Shotguns capable of holding more than 3 shells may not be used unless plugged with a one- piece filler which limits the gun’s total capacity to 3 shells and which cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.

But let me play devils advocate and say that filler is the limiting tool to 3 in the tube. The filler has nothing to do with the breach being filled does it? I guess “total capacity” and “Shotguns capable” are the key terms.

Last edited:
Yes, the hunting season guide on the eregulations says this, "The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck."

What counts as a weasel ?

What counts as a weasel ?
weasel /ˈwiːzəl/ is a mammal of the genus Mustela of the family Mustelidae. The genus Mustela includes the least weasels, polecats, stoats, ferrets, and European mink. Members of this genus are small, active predators, with long and slender bodies and short legs.

I stand corrected due to the letter of the law:

SHOTGUN Migratory game birds may be hunted with shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, fired from the shoulder. Shotguns capable of holding more than 3 shells may not be used unless plugged with a one- piece filler which limits the gun’s total capacity to 3 shells and which cannot be removed without disassembling the gun.

But let me play devils advocate and say that filler is the limiting tool to 3 in the tube. The filler has nothing to do with the breach being filled does it? I guess “total capacity” and “Shotguns capable” are the key terms.
Don't play devil's advocate. Just read what it says. I'm trying to help you out here :)

The filler limits the TOTAL CAPACITY to 3 rounds. It says nothing about limiting the magazine capacity!

The key word is TOTAL CAPACITY. Limiting the Mag to 2.....plus 1 in the chamber gives you a gun that has a total capacity of three shells. Your allowed a shotgun that holds 3 total shells......period. When I hunted duck with my boy on the youth duck hunt the fed f and g guy had dummy rounds and used them to check the mag tube on every kids gun.....he inserted 2 shells and the third shell should not be able to fit in the tube. If the third shell fit you were f***ed. He also checked the kids ammo to make sure it was not lead. Migratory waterfoul fed regs state no lead.

Now....before someone else asks......other than migratory waterfoul in mass....you can use lead shot.

Last edited:
Plugs are only needed for migratory birds.

If your hunting mammals and upland birds load up! Hunting regs have no limits on capacity (other than migratory birds as I said). However ......mass gun law is in play with respect to magazine size compliance. But ....if you need more than 10 rounds in the mag hunting squirrel your definitely doing it wrong

Season doesn’t open for me until Oct. I was reading the abstract and see rifles are not allowed in my zone. 11. Is a pellet gun considered a rifle in this case? It’s break barrel one shot .177.

Season doesn’t open for me until Oct. I was reading the abstract and see rifles are not allowed in my zone. 11. Is a pellet gun considered a rifle in this case? It’s break barrel one shot .177.
That's a good question on the pellet gun. I'm not sure.

A shotgun is the better tool for the task anyway. Especially if your hunting wma property because if you happen to flush a stocked pheasant you can take a shot.........same with turkey when that's open.

I've taken a few pheasants that wandered into my AO when I was in the woods that abut a stocked pheasant field.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom