Squirrel hunting tips?

Mainly waterfowl hunter here heading out this weekend to try squirrel hunting. I have a call but not sure if i should sit and wait or be on the move. Any tips that will help?

If squirrels are in the area, sit and wait. Look for nests up in the tree tops, little tiny scrapes from them collecting and storing acorns, if you see this, they're in the area. Sit back against a tree with camo and be still. You can often bag 2-3 without ever getting up.

I like to to use a dialed in .22 with a scope and head shoot them so there's no flopping. I've no kidding cleaned 3 of them off a log one at a time doing that.

if they won't come out of the tree tops but you hear them and see signs for them, then use your call.

walking around for them works but it's more of a seek and destroy thing, they see you and you go after them and your trying to either tear them up with a shotgun or wait for the skittish things to make a mistake and poke their heads out enough for a shot. But at that point, they're skittish and don't stay still long.

So...I like to get out just before daylight and find a comfy spot and sit for them.

Last edited:
When you start your sit, be absolutely still and silent. It might take 20-30 minutes for the woods to settle down. When birds start flying near you, you know you're doing it right. Not sure of the laws on baiting them in Mass, but if you can bait you can shoot a bunch of 'em. I once shot one dead on a bait of some peanuts and another one came in and moved the dead squirrel out of the way so he could get to the nuts.

I've kept a log. So far I've shot 336 squirrels.

BTW, I started out taking head shots, but sometimes the blood would make a mess of things. I take center chest shots now and watch them curl up DRT without a big mess.

.22 pellet air rifle should work. I have a .177 pellet rifle and it's enough for chipmunks but a little inadequate for squirrels. Squirrels are definitely "Medium" level difficulty. They see the glint of a barrel or scope and they start running up the nearest tree away from you.

Probably the smartest/smallest woodland creature.

A few things that I've learned about squirrel control:
1. If you have them in your sights, take the shot. They tend to move quickly unlike other smaller game like chipmunks.
2. Be quiet. I rarely "happen upon" squirrels. You have to be still and quiet for along time. It takes commitment.
3. Consider camouflage/hunting clothing.

Anyone in MA Zones 10-14 ever hunted squirrell?? The abstract isn't that clear but I am trying to figure out if I can use my .22lr or my .410.

Anyone in MA Zones 10-14 ever hunted squirrell?? The abstract isn't that clear but I am trying to figure out if I can use my .22lr or my .410.
10-14 are shotgun only on squirrels. Additionally even in 1-9 zones it is pjeasant season so if on wma stocked with pheasant it is shotgun only. I hunt them only with a shotgun anyway. 20 gauge Size 4 high brass through a full choke. They actually have a tough hyde! You will discover that when you field dress one. You will hear guys argue that shot guns blow em up. Not true. That set up will reach the top of any tree.....and close up just put the bead in front of the nose or aim low on a sitting squirrel. You need to "know your gun" though to hunt squirrels with a 20 or 12 gauge. Never destroyed a squirrel this way.

find large stands of oak trees. Loook for chwed acorns on the ground. Thats where u want to be. If you see a nest or better yet a handful of nests you need to check that spot out about 1 hour before sunset.

i am finding them plentiful this season! Got em stacked like cordwood in the drop freezer.

Last edited:
Another tip that has worked......if a squirrel sees you they tend to go around the back side of the tree. Wait em out for 5 minutes or so....they have a short memory. Or.....throw a stick or rock over to the back side and they may come around to the front and you will get a shot on em. Its actually alot of fun. And they do taste great in a stew or "squirrel pie" which is just chicken pot pie with squirrel meat.

I need to get out and try squirrel hunting...
It actually is alot of fun. Going tomorrow morning. Shotgun deer season starts monday which closes small game hunting for 2 weeks.

Best part about squirrel hunting is you dont need a ton of special gear at all.....shotgun and a pocketfull of shells. Orange hat and bag to put em in. Easy peasy

Last edited:
jeez, wish I had a buck for every squirrel I bagged when I was a kid. I would just thrash my way thru the forest, making noise. The squirrels would start to yap. I would then go still/silent, as I figured out where they were in the tree (usually they would go to the backside of the tree to hide). After maybe 5 minutes, the squirrel would "forget" you were there, and come around again to the front side of the tree. Then, blamo! Squirrel pie! mmm

Back
Top Bottom