• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

square foot (raised gardens)

Where do you get it in quantity, and at what price?

jtnf,

I ordered it from the below location. 2, 4 cubit foot bags (minimum you can order) came out to 92.98 shipped.

I tried looking around at different hardware and nursery stores and could not find any so I had to order it. That maybe a little more than I need but it is what it is.

On a side note, I think the shipping was higher since it only appears they do one day shipping. The shipping was 24.98. The bags were 34 dollars each. Less if you by more, but only by about a dollar per bag.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...&gadtype=pla&gclid=CMvnitTz_7UCFa9aMgodQxQAwA

Last edited:
If you are looking for Vermiculite, the best place to get it is at Agway - they have the big 4 cu bags

I had checked their website and did not see any, but sometimes my searching stinks. Was it the coarse style and from the Agway over in Littleton?

I had checked their website and did not see any, but sometimes my searching stinks. Was it the coarse style and from the Agway over in Littleton?

Yep the Littleton store is the closest to me - Went back to look at my notes and paid $39 per 4 cu bag - it was "3A-Course"

Sometimes they run out - there seems to be a defined window in the spring (April-May) that you can get it - so I would definitely give them a call to make sure they have it.

The Vermiculite came in yesterday. Tomorrow I may try to get to HD to get some fencing and either the kits or some wood to make the boxes.

Anyone have experience with woodchucks and deer fence? I have raised beds encolsed in chicken wire, but the chucks have learned to jump the fences. I'm thinking of enclosing the whole area in deer fence... I trap these things, and three more pop up to take their place. Can't shoot them because neighbors are too close. Can't poison on account of neighbors and dogs...

Anyone have experience with woodchucks and deer fence? I have raised beds encolsed in chicken wire, but the chucks have learned to jump the fences. I'm thinking of enclosing the whole area in deer fence... I trap these things, and three more pop up to take their place. Can't shoot them because neighbors are too close. Can't poison on account of neighbors and dogs...

I put 6' high deer netting around it and the woodchucks can't jump that. (Neither do the deer.)

My raised beds have grass between them... it sucks because the watering makes the grass grow very fast, and it is hard to cut in there with all the deer netting. Plus, the squash spill out of the beds onto the grass, then I can't mow anymore.

What's a preferred way to solve this problem? I have weed block fabric but you have to put something on top of that. Stones are expensive and would poke the squash that spill onto them. Would wood chips work well? How long might they last? Has anyone tried them?

Prepper,

I think I will be running into the same issue but I will have to either find something my chair will not sink into or try just using a weed whacker inside the fenced area.

That's what I do, weed whacker. As for the beds, I went to HD, bought 2X12X16s, had them do 3 cuts, 12 31/2 in zinc screws and 20 minutes had myself 4X4 raised beds.

Sent from State prison using contraband cell phone.

So I went to HD and they did not have any cedar wood there so I went ahead and picked up the little kits to make the 4x4 boxes. I am sure I spent more than most would be they should be easy for me to put together. I also picked up some fencing, posts and that felt type stuff to go under the boxes to keep the grass out.

Just need a few more things I with some good weather I should be getting started.

So I went to HD and they did not have any cedar wood there so I went ahead and picked up the little kits to make the 4x4 boxes. I am sure I spent more than most would be they should be easy for me to put together. I also picked up some fencing, posts and that felt type stuff to go under the boxes to keep the grass out.

Just need a few more things I with some good weather I should be getting started.

Radishes and lettuce start VERY quickly, if you are into the instant gratification thing. You can be eating salad in three weeks or less, and radishes LOVE the cold. :)

Awesome - I am ready for gardening as well.

If you are in a pinch for wood, I have built some boxes out of straight non-PT 2x8's which are in good shape after a few year - I guess they will eventually rot and need to be replaced, but they are dirt (pun) cheap

Awesome - I am ready for gardening as well.

If you are in a pinch for wood, I have built some boxes out of straight non-PT 2x8's which are in good shape after a few year - I guess they will eventually rot and need to be replaced, but they are dirt (pun) cheap

Thank you for the kind offer but I am all set for this year on boxes.

Next steps are to get my layout down, peat moss, compost and than veggies. Not sure if all will be transplants or some seeds and some transplants.

I went with non pressure treated wood since it was far cheaper than the pressure treated stuff. They should last long enough, and can be easily replaced anyway. Box size is 4'x8' so that just takes 3 boards, one of them can be cut in half at Home Depot. Hold together with deck screws (pre-drill holes first). Never nail them... wood splits easily.

If you are looking for Vermiculite, the best place to get it is at Agway - they have the big 4 cu bags
grabbed a 20lb bag from dodge grain on 28 in salem n.h. today. $28. they don't have peat moss and multiple types of compost yet so a return trip will need to be made. and my husband now has his project for this weekend (building a box and situating it in the yard) [smile]

I'm gonna plant a full acre of the swamp I call my yard in corn this year. I tried the raised garden version for potatoes last year. Wife didn't keep watering it. This year between the salt licks and corn field. I'm hopeing to hunt archery season from my garage.

I'm gonna plant a full acre of the swamp I call my yard in corn this year. I tried the raised garden version for potatoes last year. Wife didn't keep watering it. This year between the salt licks and corn field. I'm hopeing to hunt archery season from my garage.

I like that idea. One of the reasons I am trying to get some of my back woods cleared, need to plant some winter rye back there for them.

A couple of questions about raised beds.

First, there is a restaurant nearby that has beds that are raised about 2 1/2 feet from the ground. This seems a little extreme but I suipposed it's easier on your back weeding it. Do you suppose that these boxes are completely filled with dirt?

I've seen some people using regular dimensional lumber for construction and others using what looks like rough sawn boards. To my eye, the rough sawn looks a little less flexible so I was leaning toward that. Any idea on where I might find this?

I've seen some people using regular dimensional lumber for construction and others using what looks like rough sawn boards. To my eye, the rough sawn looks a little less flexible so I was leaning toward that. Any idea on where I might find this?

You'll find rough sawn lumber at a sawmill. I'm not sure where you are located, but here is a link to sawmills in MA (hope it works) http://www.yellowpages.com/ma/sawmills

I think you are on the right track with the rough cut lumber. It is significantly cheaper and thicker than dimensional lumber. The industry has come a long way with respect to toxicity of pressure treated in the past decade, but I personally wouldn't grow food in PT, especially not root crops. I have used white cedar for clients and find it only lasts slightly longer than rough cut pine in direct contact with the ground but costs several multiples and is hard to source.

One thing I don't like about raised beds is they tend to dry out quickly and need to be watered way to often, especially in the summer. The taller they are the faster they dry out. Personally, I just plant in the ground and mulch around the planting beds.

So I got a little done today. I put the boxes out in the back yard and started to run the fence around it. The fence it not too tight since it was a pain to try and unroll it, strap it onto the post and pull it taught. Maybe when I can get someone out there with me I will get it tighter.

Tomorrow I may try to get everything mixed up and into the boxes and then add the grid.

photoa.jpg

So I got a little done today. I put the boxes out in the back yard and started to run the fence around it. The fence it not too tight since it was a pain to try and unroll it, strap it onto the post and pull it taught. Maybe when I can get someone out there with me I will get it tighter.

Tomorrow I may try to get everything mixed up and into the boxes and then add the grid.

View attachment 99906

is that plastic under your beds? - if so, wondering why.

You gunna plant in a tight square foot type method?

I apologize but I am not following your question.

Basically once the mix is in the boxes I will be putting a grid on it and putting different stuff in the little areas.

sry...was adding this as you replied.

ETA: reason i ask is...

In my experience, weeds are minimal when you plant tight. The shade of your vegetables hinders weed growth. I think I could go all year without weeding. I just do it cuz I'm fussy.
The benefit of the square foot thing is the ability to plant much tighter than conventional rows. In order for the plants to not root bind together, they need soil depth for the roots to grow 'deep' instead of 'out'.

If you're planting tight, you may want go below grade with your mix. Or, at least turn up the soil under your beds.

Not sure if what I planing is considered tight or not. I have attached a screen shot of what my plans are. Still need a few more seeds though.

garden layout.PNG

Back
Top Bottom