• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

square foot (raised gardens)

Is anyone using these?

I am looking into making some for this year and wondering if anyone is using them.

If so, did you use seeds to start most items or small plants?

Any info would be great (I have been watching a few youtube videos on this to get started).

Thanks.

Neighbor used them and did quite well. They started seeds inside and transplanted. Unless your soil is contaminated, I always just planted in the ground.

Send a soil sample to UMass Amherst along wiht about $10 and they will tell you excatly what your soil may need to grow veg.

I am unsure of the "square foot" part but my raised bed is 10X13 (130 sq. ft). We did it this way 10 years ago because I had some garden ties and access to enough black dirt to fill the area.

Every year we do tomatoes and green beans which my wife cans. We add other vegetables throughout the garden to fill the space depending on what we pick up and feel like. Tried broccoli one year but what you you get out of it compared to what you put into it is a waste of time, IMO.

In the early spring we starts seeds in the house. When ready for planting, I till the dirt and add composted manure from whomever has it cheaper. One year picked up some cow manure from a farmer in RI that had more dark red works than I had ever seen in my life. Everything is planted on mounds that has a soaker hose running on top and covered in black garden mesh stuff for blocking weeds (I hate weeding the garden and this reduces a lot of them). I also place a rock next to the plants because I saw it done some where and it has something to do with retaining water and keeping the area moist and cool throughout the day. We don't use fertilizer only because we haven't needed it. Probably would get bigger, better crop but we are happy with the stuff we get.

I don't produce enough to live through the fall, winter and spring but it is fun and what we do produce is good. We still have a couple jars or tomatoes and beans from last year's garden. Some years are better than others with quality and amount. Good luck and have fun.

BFM,

Wanted to try the raised idea since it would be easier for me to reach being in a chair. The ground is just to much of a pain for me to keep reaching over to [smile].

Artie,

Thanks for the response. Right now my plan is to just get started and produce enough for summer and maybe fall. I am going to start out small with maybe 2 or 3 2' x 8' beds and see what kind of mess I can get myself into. I am also hoping to get my daughter interested enough to help, but with her being a young teenager that maybe hard to do.

Get Mel Bartholemews book on it. Very good on this topic. Personally we use it in our raised beds and with my daughters raised bed. It works well but takes some work to stay watered and on top of it. I personally prefer conventional non raised beds for anything we grow in large quantity and am currently experimenting with the Back to Eden approach.

I'm looking to do one of these this year. Grocery store veggies have just gotten disgusting over the last decade or so, to the point that I really don't eat them. I'd like to have a supply out back instead. I'll be watching this thread for pointers as spring approaches.

Our first foray into gardening at all was a raised bed bag garden. It worked so well, that what we did last year too--most likely will do it again this year.

MisterHappy,

I definitely have the chipmunks and deer in the yard so I will see how they deal with them.

Coastie,

Funny you mention that gentleman’s name since I did find a video today that he was in. I did not have time to watch it all but will find it again and see what he says.
____

On a side note I also have 4 apple trees that will be delivered in spring that I plan to get out in the backyard. Hopefully when they are old enough I can spare some of them for the deer that come through.
I also found the below website that says you can use their planning program for free for 30 days which looks interesting and I may give it a try. I will need to talk to the wife, daughter and mother in law to see what they may be looking for me to plant.

http://www.growveg.com/freetrial.aspx

I used to do this at my last house, my new house is under construction so just the family community garden for me this year.

Since you are in a chair you can raise these up on legs and put a 'floor' on them so you can roll your chair under them partially to make it easier to work with. Tomatos,beans, peppers, basil and eggplant all did well for me. My beds were 4'x4' with enough room between beds to drive my mower. When I move into the new house I will make the beds longer and keep them 4' wide so I can reach the middle from either side.

I also put ever bearing strawberries in and they went nuts. They were very easy to pick but the suckers went everywhere and eventually I got tired of cutting the suckers off and they took over a whole bed.

I've built 5 3' x16' beds so far and planning some major expansion this year. I like the raised beds both for the ease if access and the fact that the soil doesn't get trampled and compressed as bad. Good luck, there is a lot of good advice in this thread already with more to come I'm sure.

Well it does seem like a lot of folks are using this method and having good luck. Maybe even more folks will pick this up this year.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I have two raised beds, 24 feet long X 2 feed across X 1 foot (approximately) soil depth. This in addition to a 33x12 garden.
The raised beds are made of 1x6 cedar and 4x4 cedar posts. Posts were cut to two feet in length and buried with post hole diggers, and the boxes built around them.
The boxes were lined with landscape cloth prior to being filled with soil.

So far, the raised bed/boxes are happier and easier to tend than the larger area garden. Salad greens, peas and beans, and radishes, and cucumbers absolutely ran riot.
The boxes both have 4 inch wire cloth fence six feet high, fastened to stakes along the back edge of the boxes.
When planted in three rows (climbers on the fences, short stuff in the front and medium height stuff in the middle) the produce per square foot was amazing.

A friend of mine had been working in farming for many years. She teaches classes on Sq foot gardening. It's pretty involved. Some things should go next to other things. some things should be planted in stages so you don't get all the veggies at once. Some things are planted to keep animals away or to attract bees etc.

I should see if she could do a class for NES'rs or maybe we could work something where you could tell her what you wanted in your garden and she could draw you layout like she did for me. I am sure she wouldn't charge but a few bucks for this.

MisterHappy,

I definitely have the chipmunks and deer in the yard so I will see how they deal with them.

Coastie,

Funny you mention that gentleman’s name since I did find a video today that he was in. I did not have time to watch it all but will find it again and see what he says.
____

On a side note I also have 4 apple trees that will be delivered in spring that I plan to get out in the backyard. Hopefully when they are old enough I can spare some of them for the deer that come through.
I also found the below website that says you can use their planning program for free for 30 days which looks interesting and I may give it a try. I will need to talk to the wife, daughter and mother in law to see what they may be looking for me to plant.

http://www.growveg.com/freetrial.aspx

He is the guy that started it all or at least put it into a book and marketed it well. Good info. Check your local library as they most likely have a copy of his books. THey are probably available on Kindle or Nook as well. If you use his soil mix it is not cheap to make. We just use his spacing. If you would rather save some money PM me your address and I will send you one of my spare copies to read through. Just send it back when you are done.

Being in a chair you would want to use his mix if you can. It is lighter and you can build then on elevated platforms. I saw this at my grandmothers nursing home.

Gardening is not rocket science and his books take you through it step by step.

A friend of mine had been working in farming for many years. She teaches classes on Sq foot gardening. It's pretty involved. Some things should go next to other things. some things should be planted in stages so you don't get all the veggies at once. Some things are planted to keep animals away or to attract bees etc.

I should see if she could do a class for NES'rs or maybe we could work something where you could tell her what you wanted in your garden and she could draw you layout like she did for me. I am sure she wouldn't charge but a few bucks for this.

In

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jtnf,

It sounds like you have some serious boxes that are doing really well for you. In the summer if you would not mind posting some pics I am sure a few us would like checking them out.

--

Mike-Mike,

I had no idea there were classes on square foot gardening. I guess with the way the economy is more folks are trying to grow their own stuff (or maybe they just want to out of the fun of it).

--

Coastie,

Thanks for the nice offer on the book. Let me see if I can download a copy since it appears with this dang weather it may be a while before I can get started outside.

Jtnf,

It sounds like you have some serious boxes that are doing really well for you. In the summer if you would not mind posting some pics I am sure a few us would like checking them out.

Asked and answered, altho I'll have to work to find pics of stuff actually growing.

Here's the job supervisor, overseeing construction.
IMG-20130415-00032.jpg

A demanding task master, he's pointing out something wrong
IMG-20130415-00033.jpg

Soiled up and backed with the fence...
IMG-20130418-00035.jpg

A little closer.
IMG-20130418-00037.jpg

My neighbors' place is perpetually under improvement. Not shown to the left of these pics is the back of his shed, where those materials tend to be out of sight (from his living room!)

The other box is elsewhere in the yard, and is pretty much identical.

Thank you and dang that looks good.

My wood work even with basic stuff stinks so hopefully I can make a box look straight [smile].

Thank you and dang that looks good.

My wood work even with basic stuff stinks so hopefully I can make a box look straight [smile].

Post-hole digging the short fence posts is part of the trick... Leave everything loose and fasten the fence boards, then pull the finished box square and straight by tamping the earth around the posts. Easy peasy.
The only difficulty was in trenching from post hole to post hole, where required, so the box would be level (trenches accommodate minor variation in the shape of the land.)

As Mr. Happy says, a woodchuck will ruin a small garden pretty quickly. Fence it in. If you do, go into the ground with the chickenwire 8in or so to keep the burrowing possibility down. Maybe lay some brick in there outlining your wire.

I've been doing the square foot thing for a few years. I went down about a foot under grade beneath a standing 2x6 box. Soil mix is 1/4 original, 1/4 compost, 1/4 peat, and 1/4 manure. In retrospect, I should have added sand as well - YMMV. This mix holds water like nobodies business. I over watered the first year and that took a bit to recover from. You have to watch the weather and keep the garden dry if rain is in the forecast. No biggie, just something to watch.
However, extended rain has to be managed. I have a 10x12 plot which can be covered with a camping tarp in about 45 minutes. Maybe something to keep in mind when building your fence.

Speaking of watering. I'm a fan of the drip line especially in dense plantings/square foot. Underground, under the box frames. You can make separate zones with a hose manifold/valves. Keep plant water needs in mind when creating these zones. IE: My broccoli likes less water than the peppers. Different zones.

Last year was tough for me but, things I've had success with have been:
Lettuce
Peas
Bush/Pole Beans
Peppers
Eggplant
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Brussels Sprouts
Cukes
I could see tomatoes doing well but, I hate fresh tomatoes.

Dwarf/Smaller varieties a plus. Sans the Tomatoes, all but one of the aforementioned veggie list fit's in my 10x12 at once.

Herbs in planters.

If you're planning starting seeds, it may be too late in the year. In my experience, it seems cold crop seeds would have to be started the previous Christmas to have something ready for early outdoor planting. I've given up on seeds (mostly) and have vowed to just buy small plants as early as possible.

The Almanac is calling for a cool spring, hot summer, drier inland, wet on the coast.

Good luck - Now I have to add the garden to my to-do list.
:/

--

Mike-Mike,

I had no idea there were classes on square foot gardening. I guess with the way the economy is more folks are trying to grow their own stuff (or maybe they just want to out of the fun of it).

--

Yes its funny. I never garden and this year we are talking about doing it. She just taught a few classes at Assabet school. I know she also works as like a consultant that can help you get your stuff started and swing by once in a while to make sure things are looking good and let you know what your doing wrong. She is one of those people that can't screw up a garden. She gives us shitloads of veggies every year and everything is beautiful.

She really loves it and I talked to her she would totally do a class for NES.

I've been doing it for two years now with mostly success. had powdery mildew last summer that I believe were on the plants I bought a HD. The biggest appeal for me is that I have a tiny yard. Go to Griffin's in Tewksbury for your vermiculite.

Novice gardener here! But I get help from my dad that has had 1 or 2 15x40 gardens with a ton of luck.

I've had a small 4x6 garden for 4 years now but I'm moving it to a 12x6 raised bed. Have had luck over the last 4 years with my cues and tomatoes (cherries, plum, and heirlooms). This year I plan on growing more types. On a side note my blackberries (2 plants planted 3years ago) yielded 5-6 five gallon buckets. Not including what was picked by the neighbors kids.

i look forward to seeing everyone's harvest this year.

Last edited:
Is anyone using these?

I am looking into making some for this year and wondering if anyone is using them.

If so, did you use seeds to start most items or small plants?

Any info would be great (I have been watching a few youtube videos on this to get started).

Thanks.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but here is what I did last year at the elderly apartments I run. Location is upper Cape Cod.

I set up five raised beds that were 4'x4' and divided them into quarters. Each resident was allowed one section. It was not a prime location, with limited sun, but it's what was available.

The only special thing we did was line each box with weed mesh and get good fertilized soil from my landscaper, and I ran a line to the area for watering.

Everyone started from seeds, squash, cucs, tomatoes and beans. The place looked like a rainforest, it grew so well.

Few of my resident's had much experience. I think the most important thing was having good soil and keeping it watered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Novice gardener here! But I get help from my dad that has had 1 or 2 15x40 gardens with a ton of luck.

I've had a small 4x6 garden for 4 years now but I'm moving it to a 12x6 raised bed. Have had luck over the last 4 years with my cues and tomatoes (cherries, plum, and heirlooms). This year I plan on growing more types. On a side note my blackberries (2 plants planted 3years ago) yielded 5-6 five gallon buckets. Not including what was picked my the neighbors kids.

i look forward to seeing everyone's harvest this year.

By the gods great and small, I WISH I could eat berries. My "vacation house" (good friends retirement property in northern NH) is covered with black and raspberries, and blueberries, and the residents and guests (including at least several bears!) enjoy them, but none for me. (Diverticulitis sucks.)

Back to our original subject: I am going to build another box, three feet off the ground! Beneath it will be my irrigation pump, so basically it'll be a growing doghouse.
It occurs to me that elevated box square foot gardening may be something that those confined to wheelchairs, or otherwise mobility impaired, could enjoy.
http://www.eatlivegrowpaleo.com/2012/05/square-foot-gardening-wheelchair.html

It occurs to me that elevated box square foot gardening may be something that those confined to wheelchairs, or otherwise mobility impaired, could enjoy.

That is why we used raised boxes at my apartment complex. It is an elderly complex so we do have mobility issues. My planters are 19" high, soil is about an inch below the top. They consist of 4x4 posts and 5/4x6 boards, all dovetailed cedar.

I removed the grass, graded the ground and just set them in place. Once I assembled the boxes I used a nailgun with stainless finish nails to pin it together. Also, as another poster stated, the boxes are 4' wide, so the center can be reached from either side.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but here is what I did last year at the elderly apartments I run. Location is upper Cape Cod.

I set up five raised beds that were 4'x4' and divided them into quarters. Each resident was allowed one section. It was not a prime location, with limited sun, but it's what was available.

The only special thing we did was line each box with weed mesh and get good fertilized soil from my landscaper, and I ran a line to the area for watering.

Everyone started from seeds, squash, cucs, tomatoes and beans. The place looked like a rainforest, it grew so well.

Few of my resident's had much experience. I think the most important thing was having good soil and keeping it watered.

That's awesome, good work. What would complete the utopian vision is if some of their kids/grandkids came by to help and soak up some of that huge wealth of knowledge. Experienced folks are our most under utilized resource, hopefully you were able to get some knowledge too.

Do any of you use compost bins? I'm looking to either buy or make one. What are your thoughts.

I have one like this. When I stay on top of it, it works great. So far I don't really have a place for the compost that comes out of it so it's mostly used to make a thriving weed pile next to the tumbler (no, not that kind of weed).

*If* I was able to stay on top of it and had a use for the compost, I might consider getting a second one. You never get compost if you keep adding to it; it needs time to do its thing.

Back
Top Bottom