• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spy point trail cameras

Sparkey

NES Member
Anybody running Spy point Trail cameras ?
Was looking at the link micro. They get mixed reviews but a casual Acquaintance today said he is running them and likes them. Just looking for another opinion before dropping $150 .
Looking for the remote feature for a few spots that are harder to check cameras.

I have one that’s out now. The pictures sent to your phone aren’t the greatest quality, but the images on the card are better. I don’t think the range is that great, but not terrible.

You should be able to find them for $100. Another similar option is the new Tactacam Reveal. Thats also the same price. Those seem to be the two most basic, economical, entry level cell cam.

I run 5 spypoint cameras.

You can get the micro for about 100, Im super busy at work right now but let me get back to this tonight and I'll give a full lowdown of my experience.

Alright- here we go. my spypoint rodeo!

I picked spypoint after a moderate bit of research because they seemed like they had the best deal for transmission plans. I started with a Link-Evo I purchased at Cabella's last year. I pulled the camera from the box, setup was moderately simple, I tested transfers to my phone, things went well for a day or two, and I put that thing up on the hunting property where it preformed real well- So well in fact, an impulse buy at cabella's added a link-micro to my collection.

Link micro's a cheap camera comparatively- but that doesn't make it bad. I followed the same setup procedure, then proceeded to put the camera on the other end of the hunting property the weekend before opening day. My idea was that I liked the evo so much, and I would put the camera out behind my tree stand and when I was hunting set it to "instant transfer" and anytime the camera went off I'd get a notification to my cell (and ergo Bluetooth earpiece) that it had been activated.

Reality don't work like that. In 4 weeks of use I have maybe 8,000 images that all more or less look like this (some in daylight). HD0508.JPG

Friggin useless. I'm not the only one to ever have this problem, and the single LED on the micro makes figuring out any errors very difficult.

Not wanting to f*** with the camera during the season, I just had to make do. Eventually I tried to exchange the camera under Cabela's rather generous returns policy, that did not go well. I couldn't get my second better Link-Evo from a trade up, but thats ok, I'd wait until the summer and buy another evo. I take my existing EVO and put it on a relative's vacation house property and just let it transmit on the free plan- it stops transmitting in April. I tried every piece of tech support on it- new SD card, New batteries, factory reset, fresh formats, new firmware, old firmware, online chat tech support, whatever- Finally Spypoint gives me a upgraded new camera. Somewhere around that time I joined a spypoint group and read about 50 messages from other users with link evo's who had theirs die suspiciously about the same time (bad update?).

Anyhow. My new Link-Dark, and my new (not purchased from Cabelas) link dark went out with a 3rd link-dark (you lost 500 bucks Cabela's) have gone out to the hunting property where they transmit flawlessly.

Now- onto more technical stuff.

Quirks- Spypoint is known for them. Last year an update killed my link-evo in the field, I needed to go to it, reformat the card in a tablet, and recycle the power.
Spypoint broke the cellular app a few times last year, needing my links to re-connect to the app (march back out to the field again).
Spypoint image compression varies with signal strength- the crappier your signal the crappier your picture because the more its compressed- with that said, there is no signal standard, 2 bars on your verizon cell is not 2 bars on the spypoint strapped to a tree 2' in front of you. Nothing dictates what a "bar" is. There is some hubbub about minimum and maximum values based on the type of signal too- 3g vs 4g show not as 3 and 4g, but 3g tops out signal strength at 3 bars.
Sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. My evo should have worked fine- it did not.
Spypoint customer service is outsourced, reads a script, and is useless beyond the script.
Some users have warranty replacement problems, I did not. I sent my evo in on a monday and had my new link dark as a replacement in-hand the following Monday.
Photo transmission plans vs packages- Photo transmission plan is needed per camera. The scouting package gives you free HD photo downloads (covered below a bit, but more resolution than the app normally sends, less than the card is holding). The scouting package works for up to 5 cameras and also has "buck tracker" which is really, really shitty image recognition. I bought it last year, won't be doing that again.
These are not beautiful cameras, they're scouting cameras. Some examples are as follows:

Early morning and evening shots can be very low contrast: I'm moderately confident this is a bobcat.
HD Shot from Card
InkedHD0256_LI.jpg

As sent through the app:
PICT0256_202007270922wTi5t.jpg

HD Shot from Card
HD0344.JPG
Through app image- Same camera as above, just now on the tree directly above the "P" in spypoint, or maybe above the "K" I think.
PICT0763_202009021745qv5M7.jpg

HD Shot from Card
HD0357.JPG

HD from the app (not the same resolution as the Card).
PICT0140_H_202009011351wiGPl.jpg

As you can see- not amazing.

If this hasn't helped you at all and you have more questions, let me know, I'm kinda brain fried over here.

*Edit*: I should stress- my first 2 cameras both died inside their manufacturers warranty and needed to be replaced. When purchasing (especially on ebay) make sure its explicitly a new sealed product from a vendor, also make sure you retain your receipt.

Last edited:
That’s a great write up I really appreciate your time and real world experience! I had heard their customer service sucks.
I may just stick to my old cameras I don’t have much time between work and family and not sure if I want to be dicking around trying to get a cell camera to work.

That’s a great write up I really appreciate your time and real world experience! I had heard their customer service sucks.
I may just stick to my old cameras I don’t have much time between work and family and not sure if I want to be dicking around trying to get a cell camera to work.
I've heard good things about the cell link. It takes any manufacturers camera and makes them cellular.
There are small issues with the SD cord, but overall people seem pleased.

Alright- here we go. my spypoint rodeo!

I picked spypoint after a moderate bit of research because they seemed like they had the best deal for transmission plans. I started with a Link-Evo I purchased at Cabella's last year. I pulled the camera from the box, setup was moderately simple, I tested transfers to my phone, things went well for a day or two, and I put that thing up on the hunting property where it preformed real well- So well in fact, an impulse buy at cabella's added a link-micro to my collection.

Link micro's a cheap camera comparatively- but that doesn't make it bad. I followed the same setup procedure, then proceeded to put the camera on the other end of the hunting property the weekend before opening day. My idea was that I liked the evo so much, and I would put the camera out behind my tree stand and when I was hunting set it to "instant transfer" and anytime the camera went off I'd get a notification to my cell (and ergo Bluetooth earpiece) that it had been activated.

Reality don't work like that. In 4 weeks of use I have maybe 8,000 images that all more or less look like this (some in daylight).View attachment 388054

Friggin useless. I'm not the only one to ever have this problem, and the single LED on the micro makes figuring out any errors very difficult.

Not wanting to f*** with the camera during the season, I just had to make do. Eventually I tried to exchange the camera under Cabela's rather generous returns policy, that did not go well. I couldn't get my second better Link-Evo from a trade up, but thats ok, I'd wait until the summer and buy another evo. I take my existing EVO and put it on a relative's vacation house property and just let it transmit on the free plan- it stops transmitting in April. I tried every piece of tech support on it- new SD card, New batteries, factory reset, fresh formats, new firmware, old firmware, online chat tech support, whatever- Finally Spypoint gives me a upgraded new camera. Somewhere around that time I joined a spypoint group and read about 50 messages from other users with link evo's who had theirs die suspiciously about the same time (bad update?).

Anyhow. My new Link-Dark, and my new (not purchased from Cabelas) link dark went out with a 3rd link-dark (you lost 500 bucks Cabela's) have gone out to the hunting property where they transmit flawlessly.

Now- onto more technical stuff.

Quirks- Spypoint is known for them. Last year an update killed my link-evo in the field, I needed to go to it, reformat the card in a tablet, and recycle the power.
Spypoint broke the cellular app a few times last year, needing my links to re-connect to the app (march back out to the field again).
Spypoint image compression varies with signal strength- the crappier your signal the crappier your picture because the more its compressed- with that said, there is no signal standard, 2 bars on your verizon cell is not 2 bars on the spypoint strapped to a tree 2' in front of you. Nothing dictates what a "bar" is. There is some hubbub about minimum and maximum values based on the type of signal too- 3g vs 4g show not as 3 and 4g, but 3g tops out signal strength at 3 bars.
Sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. My evo should have worked fine- it did not.
Spypoint customer service is outsourced, reads a script, and is useless beyond the script.
Some users have warranty replacement problems, I did not. I sent my evo in on a monday and had my new link dark as a replacement in-hand the following Monday.
Photo transmission plans vs packages- Photo transmission plan is needed per camera. The scouting package gives you free HD photo downloads (covered below a bit, but more resolution than the app normally sends, less than the card is holding). The scouting package works for up to 5 cameras and also has "buck tracker" which is really, really shitty image recognition. I bought it last year, won't be doing that again.
These are not beautiful cameras, they're scouting cameras. Some examples are as follows:

Early morning and evening shots can be very low contrast: I'm moderately confident this is a bobcat.
HD Shot from Card
View attachment 388062

As sent through the app:
View attachment 388063

HD Shot from Card
View attachment 388060
Through app image- Same camera as above, just now on the tree directly above the "P" in spypoint, or maybe above the "K" I think.
View attachment 388066

HD Shot from Card
View attachment 388061

HD from the app (not the same resolution as the Card).
View attachment 388064

As you can see- not amazing.

If this hasn't helped you at all and you have more questions, let me know, I'm kinda brain fried over here.
That they don't differentiate between 3G and 4G might be because they're not actually different "generations" of technology. They basically just figured out how to carry more data on the same tech. So the 4th bar might be their way of saying "we have more available bandwidth"

My biggest complaints are image quality can be mediocre. Sensitivity seems quite high. No video and sometimes I get a notification and I can see the image in the notification but it doesn't load right away in the ap.

Funny that this happened at the same time as this thread;

A few days ago my SP link micro stopped sending pictures and communicating to the app. Keep in mind the camera had been deployed for over a month, working fine. I contact customer support, who told me I needed to retrieve my cameras SD card and reformat it on my computer so the new firmware could work.

I went out yesterday to fix the issue. Because I knew I couldn’t take my computer with me and not wanting to make a second trip back, I decided to bring the Tactacam Reveal that I had just gotten that day to exchange for the spypoint.

Long story short, I am still struggling to get my Spypoint formatted and running, but the Reveal takes some great pictures!

Attachments

• DB696CAE-7ED3-4339-BE51-E1EC91D6F7AB.jpeg
    DB696CAE-7ED3-4339-BE51-E1EC91D6F7AB.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5740A09C-5CF3-4AA5-8636-4663ED6E1FDC.jpeg
    5740A09C-5CF3-4AA5-8636-4663ED6E1FDC.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 32
Unboxed one of my Link-Micro (Verizon) cameras. Initial setup was a cinch. And it uploads pics to the app quickly. But... This camera needs a healthy cell signal. It worked great at home, not so much in the woods where the signal is attenuated. I'm going to use my cellphone as a signal strength meter, to see if I can't find a go/no-go range. For $99, it's okay. One odd thing. The first time I went out to set it, I forget the strap but had a security cable with me. I was only able to mount the camera upside down using the cable, and it worked fine. Went out later with the strap, and it wouldn't lock onto a cell signal when the camera was oriented correctly.

Have one wouldn't buy another. I'm in kind of a dead area so i bought a cheap antenna extender and hung it up high in the tree. It helps but only enough to send a few pics. The Moultrie which is in the same spot but not cellular takes great pictures and many of them. My spot is only a mile drive and a 15 minute hike from my house so its not a big deal to go pull the card every once and a while but a good cell cam would be better. The customer service is so so. You call them and a frog from Quebec answers. Cant understand them on the phone.

Unboxed one of my Link-Micro (Verizon) cameras. Initial setup was a cinch. And it uploads pics to the app quickly. But... This camera needs a healthy cell signal. It worked great at home, not so much in the woods where the signal is attenuated. I'm going to use my cellphone as a signal strength meter, to see if I can't find a go/no-go range. For $99, it's okay. One odd thing. The first time I went out to set it, I forget the strap but had a security cable with me. I was only able to mount the camera upside down using the cable, and it worked fine. Went out later with the strap, and it wouldn't lock onto a cell signal when the camera was oriented correctly.

Just so you know, there is no industry standard for "bars" so you might have 4 bars on your cell and only 1 on the camera but they'd be getting the same signal.

Just so you know, there is no industry standard for "bars" so you might have 4 bars on your cell and only 1 on the camera but they'd be getting the same signal.

If you check your phone's status, drill down to SIM card status. There's a signal strength displayed there. The camera works great where I'm getting a -106-104 dBm indicated, and that's not a great cell signal.

Link-Micro is very busy today, keeping me apprised of the weather conditions via photo updates. VERY windy & sunny. Not a good mix for the camera, it seems. Good thing it's currently on the free plan.

Little guy showed up in the backyard, in some craptastic weather.

This camera works reliably in a spot my phone registers a -112 dBm signal. The camera rates that as two bars.
spypoint_88953956718721.jpg

re: Spypoint Link-Micro LTE

At $99/ea, these cameras have met my expectations. They've been good at only capturing critters, and the uploads are usually timely. I have not paid to download any images in HD, nor have I opted for a pay plan yet. I'm just monitoring animal movement, not tracking specific animals.

------------------------------

re: cellular trail cameras

I first used a Bushnell Aggressor, which worked very well for being 3G. Until its warranty expired. I then waited for Bushnell's Impulse 4G camera. This thing has had some problems. Specifically, eating batteries. I received a replacement, and it was better. Now that one seems to have lost the ability to get a cell connection. I'll have to call Bushnell about it. Could be a problem with the SIM card. At least the camera is still within warranty (2 years) this time.

Bushnell's customer service could use some work. Oftentimes their web-based portal doesn't respond at all. So then you have to call. I will say that the people at the end of the line are very responsive, with regard to the trail cameras. But, it often takes over 45 minutes on hold before you can get through (I've had phone batteries go dead while waiting on hold).

The Impulse is going for $199 now. When they work, they're very useful for me, in that I can have the camera take a pic on demand. So, ordered another one. The devil I know...

The Link-Micro is going for $99 again. I'm ordering another or two. The images are heavily compressed, so lacking in detail. In some of the thumbnail images it's been tough to tell if the deer is a doe or a spike. But they have served their purpose for me - monitoring activity.

The cameras I'm running now are indicating a 50% signal strength. I have the sensitivity set to medium, 2 pics per trigger, 10 second delay. The cameras have been taking pics of animals as small as foxes but not getting triggered by every squirrel. The batteries have not been drained and are being reported as being 100% (Energizer Ultimate Lithium).

If you're in marginal coverage the Spypoints are garbage, mine was running with a 12dbi antenna 10ft in a tree and it would lose connection and stop sending pictures until I reset it.

If you can find them, buy the Tactacam's 1000x better camera's, better coverage, better picture quality, better battery life and $120 (if you can find them).

Back
Top Bottom