Springs coming - Any lawn care questions?

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I've used Scott's Starter Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer and over seeded my lawn at the same time, in the spring, with good success.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've used Scott's Starter Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer and over seeded my lawn at the same time, in the spring, with good success.
Canndo - that is because you used the starter fertilizer that contains the herbicide mesotrione - over-seeding is permitted with that chemical. You paid more for that privilege too. The standard Turfbuilder with Halts (pendimethalin) is a non-selective pre-emergent, and it will inhibit new seed growth for an extended period of time.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Canndo - that is because you used the starter fertilizer that contains the herbicide mesotrione - over-seeding is permitted with that chemical. You paid more for that privilege too. The standard Turfbuilder with Halts (pendimethalin) is a non-selective pre-emergent, and it will inhibit new seed growth for an extended period of time.
I'm impatient. I pay more for instant gratification. Lol.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have about 2500sf of new loam in my backyard. I seeded it about 1.5 week ago with a mixtures of shade and sunny grass seed. I've been watering it 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes at night. Nothing has popped up yet.

I've had bad seed in the past before but maybe its too early in the season to seed? Any help!?!?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its still a little cool and seed (depending on type) germinates best in high 50-70 degree range.
Just keep watering properly so you dont lose it.
When the weather improves, your seed should take right off.

- - - Updated - - -

A question for the lawn wizards
How long should you wait to overseed after applying the Scotts with the halts crabgrass prevention ?
You can lightly topdress areas you'd like to seed and seed into that.
The seed will germinate in that and should be fine

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to roll my lawn. Does it matter if before or after raking? I'm thinking after a rain, so it rolls out easier.

Thanks.
Rake when the lawn is a bit dryer. It'll just be easier on you and cleanup wont be so bad too.
Rolling after the rain would be fine so long as the soil isnt so wet that it leaves lines and ruts from the roller.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well it appears over night that some of the new grass is trying to come up. If I find that certain areas are not coming up can I re-seed and water per usual? Whats the cutoff on trying to get a new spring lawn?

Also, what do hydroseeders get per square foot typically? Just wondering..... I'm sure economy of scale is a factor too.

Last edited:

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it appears over night that some of the new grass is trying to come up. If I find that certain areas are not coming up can I re-seed and water per usual? Whats the cutoff on trying to get a new spring lawn?

Also, what do hydroseeders get per square foot typically? Just wondering..... I'm sure economy of scale is a factor too.
Ash, Where in MA are you? I've been holding off seeding as it seems to cold and wet lately.
As long as you can water properly you can seed any time.
I do still suggest holding til fall when possible.
BTW a hydroseeder I refer quite a bit of work too get 9 cents a foot.

mannydog

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I appreciate your professional consultation in this thread, thanks.

I have a question:

I’ve got one spot in my lawn where I get what looks sort of like clover but it has purple leaves and it's already out. It’s been around for a couple of seasons and is present all season long but it’s starting to spread.

I’d like to get rid of it but don’t want voids in the lawn where this purple growth once was. This portion of my yard gets full sun all day. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ash, Where in MA are you? I've been holding off seeding as it seems to cold and wet lately.
In the Norfolk county area. I'd almost like to get a hydroseeder guy to come in and blast out the area over the seeds I already put down. The area is too nice to do a half ass job. Plus, the wife is holding me to a high standard. I have about 2500sf. Would your guy come up this way? 2500sf is a small area for someone like that?

falcon123

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I think you should do a video tutorial for the forum on the proper way to get a nice lawn. I volunteer my lawn for that purpose and will provide necessary materials. [smile]

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What's new for us this year is a dog - who pees in our back yard in more or less the same spots.

Anything we can or should do? It seems to be killing the grass in spots.
put down some sort of gravel and make him pee there

I am dealing with the same thing but have 3 dogs and a fence going up soon so I am going to make a separate kennel area... they did a number on one 10x10 section of my back lawn

Michele

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a big problem with feral cats shitting in my mulch beds. Tried all the stupid ideas I read online elsewhere, coffee grinds, citrus peels. Have pet so can't put moth balls or cayenne pepper. Beds will look terrible quickly with no mulch but I'm at a loss and ready to haul it out since its loaded with cat poo already.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hang one in a bush and the rest will avoid it. Barrel trap full of water? Feral cats are not pets, they are pests.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Any ideas on moles/voles? I think that is what is going on - something is going crazy in my lawn.

Can see lots of small mounds of dirt pushing up, no tunnels between the mounds - cannot for the life of me find any open exit/entrance holes.

Is there anything you can spray on the lawn, etc? I tried unsuccessfully last year to find an active tunnel to place a scissor trap, etc.

Any help is well appreciated!!!

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on moles/voles? I think that is what is going on - something is going crazy in my lawn.

Can see lots of small mounds of dirt pushing up, no tunnels between the mounds - cannot for the life of me find any open exit/entrance holes.

Is there anything you can spray on the lawn, etc? I tried unsuccessfully last year to find an active tunnel to place a scissor trap, etc.

Any help is well appreciated!!!
The big box stores sell some reasonably priced control products.
I know Lowes sells something in a funnel shaped container.
Sorry I dont remember the name of the stuff.
Follow the directions.
Best thing is find where they come from and address those areas.
Wood piles, mulch beds, any place where they like to hide and eliminate those areas.

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your professional consultation in this thread, thanks.

I have a question:

I’ve got one spot in my lawn where I get what looks sort of like clover but it has purple leaves and it's already out. It’s been around for a couple of seasons and is present all season long but it’s starting to spread.

I’d like to get rid of it but don’t want voids in the lawn where this purple growth once was. This portion of my yard gets full sun all day. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.
Once again one for the box stores.
I working in Lowes in Pembroke, MA part time to take the edge off.
I'm working outside garden. So I pay close attention to what they have there. (Aside of the mole control!)
Anyway, There is a Bayer product that has both a 3-way type weed control as well as quinclorac which works very well on crabgrass and other annual weeds.
Its a great product I'd say. Its got the same stuff I'd use myself.
It wont leave dead spots. It will reduce weeds slowly while allowing grass to fill in.
Of course a little fertilizer would be a good idea too.

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

Well here we are, the first week of May!
I know what you’re thinking. It sure doesn’t feel like May!
Be careful what you wish for friends. Remember this is New England and any day the weather may just shoot up to the unbearables and stay that way till November!

That said, The soil temperatures have reached or will reach ideal temperatures for crabgrass germination in the coming days. For those of you who may be expecting me, rest assured I’m on the way!
Once again the crabgrass control product I use is called Dimension. It acts as a pre-emergent as well as a post-emergent which means that not only does it prevent crabgrass, it will control crabgrass (and a variety of other annuals as well), after germination. This is also one of the products I will apply in your second crabgrass control to extend protection through the summer months.
Please be reminded for those who may be prepaid customers, that 2nd crabgrass treatment is not one that I take prepayments on and you will be billed for that portion of the treatment .

I will also be starting tree spraying for gypsy moth and other leaf eating caterpillars shortly. You know, the ones who poop all over your house, cars and everything else! Just one well timed treatment will eliminate these nasty little pests.
By the nature of this visit, this the treatment also begins the Tick & Mosquito program for those of you who take advantage of it
The Tick & Mosquito program is applied at intervals that coincide with the major holidays over the season right through October and is guaranteed to make your outdoor activities more pleasant and insect free all season long.
BTW, for those who used either of these services in the past, rest easy I will continue them automatically unless you let me know otherwise.
Please click here for more info on these services.
Tree spraying:
http://www.pilgrimspridelawncare.com/content/tree-shrub-care-service/
Tick and Mosquito:
http://www.pilgrimspridelawncare.com/content/pest-control/
I will gladly offer neighborhood discounts on any of these services.
Please e-mail me at [email protected] or call 508-245-1777 for more information.

Finally I have just one lawn tip today.

Be sure to get your irrigation up and running quickly. It is important to maintain the moisture levels already in your lawn.

It is my goal to put these letters out more frequently.
If you have anything you’d like to see addressed here, please let me know.
Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask!

Enjoy the day!

Robert W. (Bob) Brown
Owner
Pilgrims Pride Lawn Care

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Once again the crabgrass control product I use is called Dimension. It acts as a pre-emergent as well as a post-emergent which means that not only does it prevent crabgrass, it will control crabgrass (and a variety of other annuals as well), after germination. This is also one of the products I will apply in your second crabgrass control to extend protection through the summer months.

Be sure to get your irrigation up and running quickly. It is important to maintain the moisture levels already in your lawn.
Thanks for the continued tips.

(1) When should the second application of Dimension be put down? (I applied the first in mid-April.)

(2) How do I determine how long and how often to water the lawn? My home faces the southwest.

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1) When should the second application of Dimension be put down?

Thanks for the continued tips.

(1) When should the second application of Dimension be put down? (I applied the first in mid-April.)

The 2nd dimension should be applied before crabgrass shows 5 leaves. This is usually about the time that you would be able to readily identify crabgrass plants..
That said, depending on the weather I wouldnt go past end of May, early June the very latest.

Top Bottom