• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield XDS 9MM Love this firearm!

No, not at all. It's just another mode of potential failure being a mechanically operated "safety". I just prefer simplicity in my firearms, which is why I don't like mag disconnects, or slide safeties either. Just personal preference.

i see you're point.
however carrying this logic forward we could also argue against firing pin safeties, trigger blade safeties, out-of-battery safeties, even drop safeties.
it definitely comes down to preferences.
to me reliability is proven mostly by induction, not design. in other words the gun goes bang 500 times in a row and i call it reliable.

i see you're point.
however carrying this logic forward we could also argue against firing pin safeties, trigger blade safeties, out-of-battery safeties, even drop safeties.
to me reliability is proven mostly by induction, not design. in other words the gun goes bang 500 times in a row and i call it reliable.

That's a fair point.[wink]

No, not at all. It's just another mode of potential failure being a mechanically operated "safety". I just prefer simplicity in my firearms, which is why I don't like mag disconnects, or slide safeties either. Just personal preference.

+1 ^^^

Wasnt it recalled because of the grip safety? Gotta worry about bullet 501

Last edited:
i see you're point.

None of those are influenced by the shooter the way the GS is. I have faith that the GS will work, I don't have faith that I will be able to activate it under stress, similar to a thumb safety. I want the gun to shoot when I pull the trigger, don't want to worry about hand placement. So while it will work 500 times in a row while standing in a shooting range, do you have faith that it will work 100% with 500 high stress draws?

Couple of things here, yes there was a recall on the grip safety but it was on earlier models.. you can read about it here...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/personal-defense/update-springfield-armory-xd-s-recall/

if yours has been fixed or upgraded it will have a visible pin shown in the picture on the link. If you are injured enough not to be able to grip the gun enough to engage the grip safety then you would not be able to even hold the gun well enough to even aim it IMO... its like saying you want a trigger pull of 4 oz just in case you lose the top of your trigger finger.... Manual safeties I am not a fan of, since in a SHTF situation you could pull it out and accidentally click it on, Unlikely but possible. One of the big reasons I dont like the BG's and the LC9's with the external safety. Just my opinion but still.

If you are injured enough not to be able to grip the gun enough to engage the grip safety then you would not be able to even hold the gun well enough to even aim it IMO... its like saying you want a trigger pull of 4 oz just in case you lose the top of your trigger finger.... l.

Maybe you are in a struggle on the ground, not exactly a situation were you would need to aim a gun. And similar to a 1911, if you have a high hold on the gun, you may not depress the GS all the way.

Back
Top Bottom