Springfield XDm w/RMR red dot

Hey guys,

Just got my slide back, and wanted to share some initial pictures of my new red dot equipped Springfield XDM:

P3300251_zps5e024b7c.jpg

P3300247_zps1c515db9.jpg

P3300241_zpsb9edbc8e.jpg

P3300244_zps0543397e.jpg

The gun started off as a stock XDm 3.8" Compact in 45ACP. I had a #3.5 competition trigger job performed by Powder River Precision, the same as I have on my other XDms, and as always I was very happy with the work done by PRP. The take up and travel have been greatly reduced and the sear releases as a crisp #3.5. As part of the package they also tuned the mag release, which is always nice. Can't speak more highly of their customer service either.

After reading a lot of material from/about the "modern combat pistols" being produced by Suarez and Bowie, I decided to go ahead and have a red dot installed on the pistol as well. Suarez's TSD doesn't work on Springfields, and Bowie was unresponsive to my initial inquiries and has a 16-24 week turn around (according to his website), so I went with L&M Precision in Prescott, AZ. He milled the slide and installed a Trijicon RMR, as well as BUIS and a front suppressor sight with a red fiber optic.

Haven't shot it yet, but here it is. More thought on the gun (and a full range report) once I've been able to shoot it.

Only challenge left will be to find a holster...

Very nice! Would look better on a 9mm 5.25", though. [smile]

Perhaps, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a 5.25" competition model as well (but in .45) and I considered having the RMR mounted on that gun, but I wanted the gun to be a little more practical for CCW and home defense.

The downside to 9mm (IMHO) is that its primary advantage is capacity, but with no preban high cap mags available, you lose that advantage in MA.

Only challenge is finding a holster. I'm used to a hybrid style IWB holster (Comptac/Cross Breed) - I haven't reached out to either manufacturer, but I'm worried that even if they COULD make me one, I'd have to send them my gun and wait forever, which I really don't want to do. I'm considering buying a stock XDm holster and trying to modify it around the RMR. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just get whatever holster you want, and (carefully) remove kydex until it fits. Most kydex holsters retain off the trigger guard, and the weight rests on the top/bottom of the slide, so removing some material to get that to fit wont be a problem. Just make sure you dont have any sharp corners, as stress will progogate from those areas and potentially cause your holster to fail prematurely.

Just get whatever holster you want, and (carefully) remove kydex until it fits. Most kydex holsters retain off the trigger guard, and the weight rests on the top/bottom of the slide, so removing some material to get that to fit wont be a problem. Just make sure you dont have any sharp corners, as stress will progogate from those areas and potentially cause your holster to fail prematurely.

100% with you on this, but that suppressor front sight could be an additional issue on some otherwise suitable holsters......

100% with you on this, but that suppressor front sight could be an additional issue on some otherwise suitable holsters......

**** me, i forgot about that part.

In that case, I would call up someone that does custom kydex. BuyBrown and Armordillo are both solid choices, and may be able to get the job done for you.

Sweet.. To each their own, I prefer the larger full size when shooting the big boy 45 caliber :)

I have a 5.25 Comp model, but I wanted this to be a practical defensive firearm, not a range toy. Can't carry or conceal (comfortably) a full sized frame. This conceals well, only sacrifices 1 round with the flush mag (in MA), and it takes full sized mags.

Hope you like the sights when you shoot it!

I've shot a friends XDm45, it was a great gun. Very smooth, kicks more than I expected (I carry a M&P9 :/ ) but that's because it's a big boy gun. I have never heard anything bad about the XD line. A couple friends swear by them!

Ah, yes, the awful MA-10 round limit. Did you buy your XD out of state and have it shipped, or a private sale? I doubt any shops near me would bother doing the transfer, they wouldn't even facilitate a transfer for me for a fully ma compliant rifle because it was a 308.

Very nice. I'm planning on sending L&M my G17 to have a RMR installed with the same BUIS. Contact Blade Tech for a holster. They will build anything you can think up.

North Shore Middleton told me the reason they wouldn't do it was because it was a .308 AR-based rifle. FS Woburn told me they were too busy. Ended up doing it at Stateline, and got a little hook up for being a Marine.

That's pretty messed up , cause its a .308 lol.

Fs gas pretty lame reason to.
They wouldn't transfer a 1911 builders frame for me , even tho its on the approved list . I know its not legal any more but its was a pre 94 frame still in the shipping wrapper etc. there reason is its no longer approved by the ag, but they'll transfer older glocks . I don't see a difference :/...
Other then a few odd things at fs I don't mind the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Very nice. I'm planning on sending L&M my G17 to have a RMR installed with the same BUIS. Contact Blade Tech for a holster. They will build anything you can think up.

Dark Horse in South Hadley does that and they're a dealer on here. Couple of great guys, probably a faster turnaround too.

Looks nice! If you're looking for a holster, check out the dale fricke seraphim appendix carry holster. I just got one for my rmr'd glock and the fit is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom