Springfield TRP 6” 10mm

• I have the 5" version with the RMR mounted and its a tackdriver. Kickback is not bad, trigger is nice, and after 100 rds, not alot really, not one issue as of yet. Seems to be a real well built piece. I would imagine the 6" would kick a little less.

I have the Sig TacOps and like it. It had all the features I wanted and came with 4 magazines. If it came in 6" I would have bought that. I think you'll find that the 10mm doesn't kick any harder than a +P .45ACP. My only complaint is that it throws empties about 30 feet. I tried a very heavy spring and it didn't help. Hopefully the Springfield won't do that.

I have one, I have put 250 rounds +/- through it and have been getting a number of failure to return to battery (round does not fully chamber). I have tried 2 different types or ammo, Magtech and PPU, and Springfield factory and Wilson combat mags. I just picked up some Sig and Bear Load ammo. Planning on putting another 150 – 200 rounds through it to see if problems resolve them self and if not back to Springfield.

I have one, I have put 250 rounds +/- through it and have been getting a number of failure to return to battery (round does not fully chamber). I have tried 2 different types or ammo, Magtech and PPU, and Springfield factory and Wilson combat mags. I just picked up some Sig and Bear Load ammo. Planning on putting another 150 – 200 rounds through it to see if problems resolve them self and if not back to Springfield.
I had the same issue with mine. Staying 1/8” out of battery. The chamber was too tight. Springfield fixed it. Now the only issues were with the underpowered ammo. Ie magtec.

I have one . Gun is accurate and runs well with the hotter ammo . I had the same issue as Dini with ppu ammo . Underwood 200 gr. loads and my handloads run no problem . Not crazy about the tridium sights on a hunting gun but that's my personal taste. Gun is also a bitch to tear down and clean . Overall I'm happy with it . It's very well made and solid . I would buy again

I have the 6 inch and I’ve had good luck with it, but I’ve only used Sig Elite and DoubleTap ammo, nothing on the less expensive side and I’ve only punched paper with it, no hunting. I actually prefer my Sig P220 Match Elite 10mm from a “how does it feel” point of view. Even though they both weigh about the same (the Sig weighs 1oz less), the Sig feels softer to me, but neither of them is particularly harsh, both no worse than a commander style 1911 in 45. And I agree that the disassembly is a really pain and the manual is worthless since it says nothing about the 6 inch.

I had never seen a 1911 that disassembles/reassembles the way the TRP long slide does. It uses a closed end reverse plug instead of a bushing (since it is a bull barrel) and a short standard GI like guide rod (unlike the 5”, which uses an open-end reverse plug with a full length guide rod with the pin hole for the capture “tool” aka bent paperclip). Therefore, the recoil spring is aways completely free, so you are fighting the recoil spring when disassembling/reassembling the pistol. The first time I slid the slide off the frame I almost launched the spring/guide rod across the room. I quickly learned to wrap my offhand around the slide/dust cover when taking the slide off or putting it back on to keep the spring/guide rod in place.

The other thing is that the slide stop needs a certain amount of finagling to get it back in. Unlike my other 1911’s, you can’t just line it up and push it straight in. Because of its beveling and the length and tension on the plunger (seems to me that the plunger is just a wee bit longer than standard) you kind of need to push it up and in from the bottom (like 40% up and 60% in) to get it to slip in past the plunger. This while you are fighting the recoil spring, which is pretty stout (it is a 10mm).

But all in all, I'd get it again and I’m pretty sure it will make an excellent hog gun.

If you people are having difficulty w takedown then you’re doing it wrong. There should be a tiny hole for a paperclip, remove tension on recoil spring, slide stop pops right out. The bushinglwss 1911 is a great design but one needs to follow instructions for field strip.

I have the Sig TacOps and like it. It had all the features I wanted and came with 4 magazines. If it came in 6" I would have bought that. I think you'll find that the 10mm doesn't kick any harder than a +P .45ACP. My only complaint is that it throws empties about 30 feet. I tried a very heavy spring and it didn't help. Hopefully the Springfield won't do that.

If want to slow down rearward slide velocity (and thus ejection) install a flat firing pin stop. EGW makes a nice one. It removes the leverage of slide pushing on hammer. Will dampen recoil and tame ejection. The recoil spring on 1911 won’t do much except shorten cycling time and beat up the frame when the slide closes.

I run full steam 10mm loads through my 1911 and have spent a fair amount of time getting it correctly sprung. From factory most of the 10mm 1911’s do not seem adequately setup for 10mm.

As much as i like the gun. I’m not in love with it for the price. I got the RMR one. This one may get sold. But I’m in a thin the herd mode anyway.

If you people are having difficulty w takedown then you’re doing it wrong. There should be a tiny hole for a paperclip, remove tension on recoil spring, slide stop pops right out. The bushinglwss 1911 is a great design but one needs to follow instructions for field strip.

If want to slow down rearward slide velocity (and thus ejection) install a flat firing pin stop. EGW makes a nice one. It removes the leverage of slide pushing on hammer. Will dampen recoil and tame ejection. The recoil spring on 1911 won’t do much except shorten cycling time and beat up the frame when the slide closes.

I run full steam 10mm loads through my 1911 and have spent a fair amount of time getting it correctly sprung. From factory most of the 10mm 1911’s do not seem adequately setup for 10mm.

As I said, the five inch has the full length guide rod with the capture hole, the six inch (long slide) does not.

If you've never shot a 10mm 1911, you're welcome to shoot mine. It's a 5" but it's an all steel full size 1911 and I also have the same thing in .45. It won't tell you how the 6" will shoot but it will tell you how the recoil in 10mm compares to the recoil in .45. I think it's insignificant but you may feel differently. Also I've read a little more and it seems that the 1911 in 10mm ejects rather briskly. Even with a 28 pound recoil spring, mine still throws brass into the next county.

I have a colt delta elite in 10 MM. I consider the recoil to be substantially greater than any .45 I have. Hence my interest in the 6" bull barrel version. Plus I don't have any 6" pistols/revolvers.

Just picked 1 up at FS. Beautiful piece and can hammer nail pretty easy too I bet.
Took it home and field stripped it. Not so bad on disassembly but re-assembly is a bitch. That recoil spring is a mean mother to compress.

Congrats, hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do mine. And the reassembly gets easier each time you do it, by about the fifth or sixth time I hardly noticed the difference between it and a “normal” 1911.

Back
Top Bottom