• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield M1A?

You really don't need to scope the M14 platform. The issued sights are excellent and allow you to hit anything you care to.

f) go to the gym for 6 months so that you can actually shoot that now 14 lb rifle offhand.
My NM M1A weighs about ten pounds empty. It's a little heavier than the M14 I carried in basic training. If you use big magazines it tends to get a little heavy. The 5 and 10 round mags are no problem.
That's why you also bring an AR15. If you get tired shooting the M1A, break out the mouse gun.

Not the internet, but the April 2010 issue of SWAT magazine has an article by Mike Jones called, "Slaying the Sacred Cow - Myth of the M14 Rifle".

Some of his concerns include:
- It's technology from the 1930's. (the word "ergonomics" did not exist then)
- Supply and Maintainence channels won't support it being issued to non-SOF units in large numbers.
- The general issue guns were only required to meet a 5.6 MOA standard.
- Mounting optics was an afterthough in the design. (The comb is too low)
- The "bizarre and archaic" manual of arms requires you to place your finger near the trigger to use the safety.
- Poor ammo to weight ratio.

I think he brings up some good points why the M14 isn't a good organizational weapon.

Still, I like the models I own.

I've got a full size M1A decked out like it came out of an armory in 1965.

I've also got a Scout Squad Rifle. I like it. It's fun to shoot.

P2040366.jpg

Last edited:
My NM M1A weighs about ten pounds empty. It's a little heavier than the M14 I carried in basic training. If you use big magazines it tends to get a little heavy. The 5 and 10 round mags are no problem.
That's why you also bring an AR15. If you get tired shooting the M1A, break out the mouse gun.
You're missing the point. He said:

c) throw away the stock and slap a Troy SASS package on it, then
d) top it with a serious piece of glass on the top; and finally

The Troy SASS stock is seriously heavy. Add in a scope mount and large scope, and you've got a 14 lb rifle.

Not the internet, but the April 2010 issue of SWAT magazine has an article by Mike Jones called, "Slaying the Sacred Cow - Myth of the M14 Rifle".

Some of his concerns include:
- It's technology from the 1930's. (the word "ergonomics" did not exist then)
- Supply and Maintainence channels won't support it being issued to non-SOF units in large numbers.
- The general issue guns were only required to meet a 5.6 MOA standard.
- Mounting optics was an afterthough in the design. (The comb is too low)
- The "bizarre and archaic" manual of arms requires you to place your finger near the trigger to use the safety.
- Poor ammo to weight ratio.

I think he brings up some good points why the M14 isn't a good organizational weapon.

Still, I like the models I own.

I've got a full size M1A decked out like it came out of an armory in 1965.

I've also got a Scout Squad Rifle. I like it. It's fun too shoot.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting, thank you. I still want one or two myself.

Why is it the most hated gun on the internet?

Some people think it (SOCOM) is a marketing gimic. They point out that it is only a hair shorter than a scout (with an aftermarket FS) but uses a unique (hard to get/replace/repair) gas system. The sights are big - no good for long distance shooting. You get tons of muzzle flash and loss lots (probably a couple hunder fps) of performance. Most people say, why not just get a scout?

With that said, I love my socom.

IMG_0190.jpg

Funny this thread popped up because I am in the market for a M1A, but I was torn between the M1A loaded and the scout squad. I used the M14 extensively while I was in the Navy, but I cannot get over how awesome the Scout Squad feels and looks. Anyone know how much effective distance you lose between the two? I've searched for a week online and really could not find an answer. Sorry to the OP if I hijacked this thread... Thanks.

Funny this thread popped up because I am in the market for a M1A, but I was torn between the M1A loaded and the scout squad. I used the M14 extensively while I was in the Navy, but I cannot get over how awesome the Scout Squad feels and looks. Anyone know how much effective distance you lose between the two? I've searched for a week online and really could not find an answer. Sorry to the OP if I hijacked this thread... Thanks.

I've read that you lose 50-100fps per inch (shorter than 22"). There are some chrono results out there somewhere.

my buddy got one not too long ago, it was a blast to shoot, i was pinging steel plates at 100 and 200 yards with the iron sights no problem. (bipod on table) his had a double feed issue though, but we werent entirely sure if it was the gun or the mags.

Back
Top Bottom