Springfield court officer accidentally shoots self.

"Blue Shirts" are not real court officers (info from a "white shirt" court officer) and have no LE powers, they are merely "security". They aren't allowed to be armed on the job. So I don't understand what happened here.

From the article, it looks like he wasn't on the job and must have been "cleaning his gun"

Springfield Police Capt. Robert Strzempek said he had no information about the incident, which allegedly happened at a Brandon Avenue address in the city's Boston Road neighborhood. "I haven't read the report yet," Strzempek said Tuesday evening.

"Blue Shirts" are not real court officers (info from a "white shirt" court officer) and have no LE powers, they are merely "security". They aren't allowed to be armed on the job. So I don't understand what happened here.

I've yet to see a white shirt with a gun, either... wonder if that varies by courthouse or civil vs criminal.

I've yet to see a white shirt with a gun, either... wonder if that varies by courthouse or civil vs criminal.

Nope, a long-time associate of mine is the senior court officer at Norfolk Superior Court. He brings in prisoners/suspects into their lock-up every day, totally unarmed. I don't think they even carry mace/OC, just cuffs.

It doesn't vary between courthouses wrt white shirts. What does vary is whether or not they allow LEOs in (and which ones) armed or make them lock up the gun at the entrance.

ETA: All this is strictly about MA courthouses. Don't know about Federal courthouses as I've never even stepped foot in one, but I've heard stories that they don't like municipal LEOs to enter armed either.

Anybody else anticipate a day when a LEO has a ND and there are overly zealous trigger happy LEO's around and mistake the ND as a threat and discharge their firearms into the fellow officer?

Anybody else anticipate a day when a LEO has a ND and there are overly zealous trigger happy LEO's around and mistake the ND as a threat and discharge their firearms into the fellow officer?

Next another officer walks into the room as sees that one cop shot the first cop. Then the officer who walked in shoots the cop who shot at the cop who shot himself.

If you Google real deep, its probably happened somewhere in the world.

Nope, a long-time associate of mine is the senior court officer at Norfolk Superior Court. He brings in prisoners/suspects into their lock-up every day, totally unarmed. I don't think they even carry mace/OC, just cuffs.

It doesn't vary between courthouses wrt white shirts. What does vary is whether or not they allow LEOs in (and which ones) armed or make them lock up the gun at the entrance.

ETA: All this is strictly about MA courthouses. Don't know about Federal courthouses as I've never even stepped foot in one, but I've heard stories that they don't like municipal LEOs to enter armed either.

I've done a lot of work in Federal courthouses, they have plainclothes Marshals all over the place, armed to the teeth.

So the only ones in court buildings with guns are felons...

Back
Top Bottom