• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory

So i know there is a museum but can you take a tour of the factory itself and see guns being made? What can you do there?

The Springfield Armory (the historic site), located in Springfield is not the same as Springfield Armory (no "the"), which is a firearms manufacturer located in Geneseo, IL.

It's worth the trip. They also have special guided tours upstairs. I think you need a reservation for that part.

Copy+of+8b08950r.jpg

standard.jpg

If at all possible, get the "special guided" tour. I knew one of the currators a few years ago, and they had to pull me kicking and screaming from the collection upstairs, I could have spent 4-5 days in that one room.

It was of this that Longfellow wrote, in his poem:
This is the arsenal. From floor to ceiling,

Like a huge pipe organ, rise the burnished arms;

But from their silent pipes no anthem pealing

Startes the villages with strange alarms.
Ah! what a sound will rise, how wild and dreary,

When the death-angel touches those swift keys;

What loud lament and dismal miserere

Will mingle with their awful symphonies!

Armory%20organ%20full.jpg

The Springfield Armory Historical Site is a NATIONAL PARK, with the same standing as Acadia or any other park. They were there since Washington was president. The history drips off the walls. While about 10% of what they hold is ever on display, there is plenty to see if you are a firearms shooter/collector. The ones on display go well back to the 1300s when they were invented. There's also a free video in a large room housing a large variety of machine guns from Gattling forward. You can see the entire thing in about an hour or so, depending on how fascinated you are with the history of firearms. IF you're there to see the latest deer rifles, don't waste your time. This is about military rifles and handguns. There are also at least one of every "foreign' made rifle on display with many of the rarest iterations on the planet along with a number of prototypes, specialty and quirky rifle/handguns that are really interesting.

I had the priviledge of knowing the previous superintendent and he gave me a "special tour" of the place a couple years back. It would take all day to see everything. There are even tunnels out of the bottom of the superintendent quarters that go all the way to the river build there to allow escape or assembly of troops should the British arrive. They also have some of the old machines that made stocks and other parts of the rifle.

The last time I checked there weren't any special tours available due to staffing issues. They, like so many other facilities, suffer from budget cuts. But the staff there are very friendly.

So a visit will educate you a bit more on the production of firearms and all around that building and the surrounding area you'll be in the middle of what was once the most productive manufacturing facility for firearms in the world. Don't forget that they made over 6 million Garands and Carbines, most at this facility or parts for most.

Every shooter should make the pilgrimage to Springfield once in their lives. We don't know how long it'll survive as long as the Fed continue to cut spending on "frivilous' items like American Historical sites.

Rome

PS I live 10 minutes away, myself!

R

It's worth the trip. They also have special guided tours upstairs. I think you need a reservation for that part.

If at all possible, get the "special guided" tour. I knew one of the curators a few years ago, and they had to pull me kicking and screaming from the collection upstairs, I could have spent 4-5 days in that one room.

It is my understanding that the upstairs is no longer available even for special tours. I have heard two reasons for this:

- Staffing cut-backs, AND

- Some clown during a special tour started handling the guns!!!!! The curators wear white cotton gloves when handling any of these guns, body oils can cause corrosion of the steel.

So, we'll have to settle on a downstairs tour only.

Do they still have the metal detector on the door?? Last time I was there (4 years? too long, anyway), I set it off on the way in.

I think that building would qualify as a Federal Building where carry is prohibited. The grounds are also off-limits for carry or possession in MA (even with the lifting of the federal restrictions in National Parks) because it is the site of Springfield Technical Community College, and you drive through the college grounds to get access to and exit from the Armory.

I don't know how it could be possible to receive an exemption to the MA law for the purposes of something like donating firearms to the museum or evaluating a historical gun.

Its free to go in and the downstairs part is not that bad, they really have some cool stuff. Me and a buddy went over the summer last year and wandered around for about 2 hours. We also weren't allowed upstairs but that really didnt stop us from trying to go up there. Made it all the way to the top just as we were about to go in the people there stopped us. I tried reasoning with them but it was fruitless and they asked us to leave.

From the link posted above:

Accessability Guide

Springfield Armory NHS is FREE and open seven days a week to visit and tour the grounds with its historic buildings, the oldest of which is from 1807, surrounding the old military parade field. Imagine the nation's first national armory as it was in centuries past before it closed in 1968!
The park offers mostly flat walking trails, paved walkways, and historic buildings that may offer challenges to visitors with disabilities.

The Museum, gift shop, and extraordinary collections in the Main Arsenal Building are open for your visit seven days a week: Every day, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
NOTE: The Museum at Springfield Armory NHS is closed only for the following holidays: New Years; Thanksgiving; and Christmas.

Parking
Vehicular parking is free and located immediately in front of the Museum.

Entrance
A modern straight ramp leads to the automatic door. The inner door, should it be closed, has a doorbell whereby the Information Desk staff will assist you.
Service Animals and Pets
Fully trained service animals are permitted in all park facilities. Pets must be physically restrained at all times. Leashed pets are permitted on all trails throughout the developed areas of the park. Pets are not allowed in the buildings.

Accessible Restrooms
Restrooms in the Museum (presently, the only NPS building open) offer some accommodations. The ease of use will vary and some may require assistance. Adults caring for small children will find changing stations at all restrooms.

Free Wheelchair Loans
A wheelchair is available at the Museum Information Desk for daily use in the area it is obtained and must be returned at least 30 minutes prior to closing time. Borrowers must present a valid identification card.

Individual Ranger-assisted Tours
We look forward to assisting any whose experience may be enhanced by assisting and guiding those visitors who request it. Please allow at least two weeks notification to our staff prior to your expected arrival: phone (413)734-8551. Additional information can be obtained by contacting:
Springfield Armory
National Historic Site
One Armory Square, Ste. 2
Springfield, MA 01105-1299
Telephone: ( 413) 734-8551
Fax #(413) 747-8062
E -mail: SPAR_ Interpretation @ NPS.Gov
Internet: http://www.nps.gov/spar/

It is my understanding that the upstairs is no longer available even for special tours. I have heard two reasons for this:

- Staffing cut-backs, AND

- Some clown during a special tour started handling the guns!!!!! The curators wear white cotton gloves when handling any of these guns, body oils can cause corrosion of the steel.

So, we'll have to settle on a downstairs tour only.
I wish I had known this before I visited recently. The downstairs museum is interesting enough and perfectly fine for high school groups, etc... but is lacking a lot when it comes to serious research. The young folks on duty were very enthusiastic and polite, but could not answer any of my questions. On the day I was there, they told me that the resident historian was not available... a further disappointment.

The story I got on the upstairs part of the museum being closed (and, in fact, being removed) is that it was so dictated by the current Director of the NPS, Jonathan Jarvis, an Obama appointee (that should tell you all you need to know). Mr. Jarvis, a lefty environmental activist and Al Gore-approved "warmer", doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in our country's heritage as it related to firearms.

Perhaps the next Director will restore to us what Mr. Jarvis decided to take away.

CLMN

OK, here are a lot of pictures from the 4/5/2010 tour of Springfield Armory by a handful of NES'rs, including our guests of honor . . . JuergenG, his Wife and Son.

Light reflection from the windows is terrible for taking pictures and I haven't had time to "edit" them to flip them yet . . . but here they are.

http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/ss254/Len-Pub/Springfield Armory 0410/

Back
Top Bottom