• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory Saint

Brin747

NES Member
Anyone tried one out yet? Any feedback? I was leaning toward a Windham for my first AR, but the reviews I've read on these have been pretty good. Any thoughts on comparing the two?

I used to have a windam but move on up, as I gain experience with ar's. It's a carbine gas system and it ran but just the same as a ruger,m&p, and other budget ar's

I rather have the saint since its mid length gas system with bcm furniture

the windham rifle's are well built. to me the 2 major considerations with any budget rifle will be cost of upgrades. for example, purchase a budge AR with plans of "upgrading" it down the road will quickly turn out to be more expensive than just purchasing what you want up front. a good example is handguard. if you want a nice freefloated lightweight handguard, which I personally prefer, to upgrade a standard carbine handguard and gas block to a low profile w handguard can be pricy.

in terms of cost and purpose, I would suggest assembling your own complete lower and then purchase a complete upper that you like. this will give you both understanding of how the rifle operates and can get a nice upper ready to go. no upgrades needed. aimsurplus has all sorts of nice complete uppers. the CBC or radical firearms uppers are fantastic for the price. can never go wrong with a BCM upper and for $880 with BCG + CH that's not bad. the Adams Arms uppers are also good stuff. overall this is a buyer's market, might as well take advantage of it.

in terms of carbine vs. mid-length gas, i personally have found this to be rather minor difference. yes i prefer mid length but carbine is just fine too.

They had a saint promotion up my way. Got to put 5 rounds through one really liked it was a nice shooter. But like Bistro said your going to get more than one probably and as you grow your tastes change so get what you like now and in 6 months you'll end up with another probably. Just how it goes

Got to shoot one when I was down in KY a couple weeks ago. Very solid, nice shooter. Trigger has one of those fancy coatings on it (not sure if nickle boron or nickle teflon or whatever), was quite nice. Has BCM furniture, mid length gas, 1/8 twist barrel. If you're looking for a complete budget rifle that's a step above the M&P Sport II/Windham I'd definitely consider it.

I've heard the saint's are on par with an M&P Sport II or a Ruger AR556. I'm not horribly impressed with what I've read about the saint, especially after all the hype springfield did.

Lots of hype.

For a first AR, here is what you want. The assumption here is that you don't really know what you want. So why spend a bundle to get something that may not eventually be what you want.

Buy and M&P Sport for $600.

Then buy a Rock River Arms match trigger for $80.

Then shoot it. When you get the urge to change something that won't really be an improvement, write it down.

After you have a list of 5 or 6 improvements, you now know what you want. You now have two choices.

1) Go buy a rifle with all the things you want.
2) Go build a rifle with all the things you want.

Once you make that choice, you have another choice.

1) Put the stock trigger back in, and then sell the M&P Sport for $500 ($100 less than you paid for it. pretty good huh? )
2) keep it since its reliable and more accurate than that $1200 rifle you just bought and it still has that S&W LIFETIME service policy.

Don

Last edited:
Lots of hype.

For a first AR, here is what you want. The assumption here is that you don't really know what you want. So why spend a bundle to get something that may not eventually be what you want.

Buy and M&P Sport for $600.

Then buy a Rock River Arms match trigger for $80.

Then shoot it. When you get the urge to change something that won't really be an improvement, write it down.

After you have a list of 5 or 6 improvements, you now know what you want. You now have two choices.

1) Go buy a rifle with all the things you want.
2) Go build a rifle with all the things you want.

Once you make that choice, you have another choice.

1) Sell the M&P Sport for $500 ($100 less than you paid for it. pretty good huh? )
2) keep it since its reliable and more accurate than that $1200 rifle you just bought and it still has that S&W LIFETIME service policy.

Don

1) Put the stock trigger back in the M&P sport :D and then sell it.

Anyone tried one out yet? Any feedback? I was leaning toward a Windham for my first AR, but the reviews I've read on these have been pretty good. Any thoughts on comparing the two?

Like my Windam. Good Scope and a good drop in trigger. I got exactly what I bought. No more no less. Has been a reliable range toy. Just like everyone's else's range toy. At the end of the day it goes bang like the rest of them. If you have expectations of a Tournament gun OK spend some cash, ok maybe. Many trick there guns out just because they can....Thinking when they have to go all RAMBO or Retard it will make them better. As usual opinions may vary.

Back
Top Bottom