• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield Armory 1911 DS Prodigy

Hilton reworked the 5" gun. He put $400 of parts into the gun. With the amount of labor he did, it was basically the cost of a Staccato P. IMO, it would be a better deal to just bite the bullet and get a Staccato instead.

View: https://youtu.be/s7d2mNIW3bE

A lot of parts were upgraded instead of tuning the OEM. Wasted a good amount of money changing parts that didn't need it.

You can throw parts at a Staccato also

I think these things look cool, and I want them to work out because I would like a 2011 type gun for when I get old and wear suspenders to the local fudd range on Sunday mornings to shoot 2 boxes of walmart ammo while bitching about how the current obama administration is going to take my guns.

Currently, I have no real reason to buy one, but I like the idea of an entry level 2011, even if SA swallows the statist gravy.

Do I need to make it any bolder, larger or more colorful????
YES!

I think these things look cool, and I want them to work out because I would like a 2011 type gun for when I get old and wear suspenders to the local fudd range on Sunday mornings to shoot 2 boxes of walmart ammo while bitching about how the current obama administration is going to take my guns.

Currently, I have no real reason to buy one, but I like the idea of an entry level 2011, even if SA swallows the statist gravy.

YES!

2 Boxes of ammo...shit, son, we ain't got time for 2 boxes, we got coffee to drink and aliment to complain about...Why, just the other day, my Doctor said.........

Sooo.... I have been curious . I have watch about 20 videos on the gun, and a few about "fixes"
The really question is what would it take to make the gun ( if it is having issues) to run!? <minus sending back to Springfield .. cause DUH it is under warranty>
See I have watch videos where ( IMO) they have thrown $$$ at the things they Don't like ( i.e. a trigger) , the guide rod spring cause it doesn't feel right...backstrap spring thing. And maybe those are the problem to it NOT running right.. MAYBE it isn't!?!?!? Has anyone seen a video of a Real Type fix.. NOT throwing parts at it !???????

P.s. Yes, I May have worked out all the issues I believe I was having , based on the things I looked at! Thanks[devil]

Maybe I got lucky. I’ve put ~500 rounds through mine and it has been very reliable. I think 2 failures and 1 was mag related(feed issues on last or second to last round of a 17 or 20 rnd mag is not crazy)

Any fix will be dependent on the issue, there isn’t going to be a single issue. If that was the case Springfield would have fixed it. A quality 1911 or 2011 is a hand-fit gun. To hit this price point I assume Springfield would need to minimize hand-fitment. Therefor issues are probably related to fit, part precision/variability. Systematic testing, close inspection, part modification(maybe with a file), and part replacement is going to be the fix. I’d start with a solid cleaning and a bunch of oil.
139504DC-BF9F-4D66-A6D7-EF11178879A0.jpeg

@GreenGoblin227 polished all his internals and some other things that didn't cost money just time and said his runs excellent now. Although I think alot of the issues he had were shit ammo related as I had issue with the same ammo in 2 of my pistols also that have never once had an issue.

My 5" Prodigy Specs @Cars&Guns thanks glad to help

- Cheely aluminum grip
- Cheely magwell Tactical black
- Cheely flat trigger
- Egw ignition kit (internal parts, Hammer)
- Egw extended slide stop
- Egw titanium hammer strut
- Staccato ambi safety
- Monsoon Tactical Genghis komp slide and barrel package
- Bazooka green cerakote
- Holoson optic plate
- Holoson EPS
- SureFire X300u-b

all the mods above are just shit i had kicking around, the gun would be 100% with all the polishing and a new ignition kit with the factory grip. I just had a cheeky kicking around.

Mine absolutely hate Freedom Munitions Bullshit ammo. Straight up garbage ammo. I have a 5" that I have completely worked over myself.

The problem was the shit ammo. I removed my barrel and did the plunk test as well as used my sizing gauge. The freedom crap is trash. Didn't feed because the case was too was improperly sized. Out of 1400 rounds 170 were in spec.

1676854513185.jpeg

I then took it apart and cleaned up every surface with a stone and polished everything to a mirror finish. I reshaped the disconnector so it didn't drag on the slide, filed in a disconnector ramp to allow a super smooth action. I have about 600 rounds through it with new brass ammo (blazer, some of that shit freedom doo doo, and +p's) and this thing runs like a sewing machine now. Little TLC and Time.

I didn't ream the barrel, its exactly how it came from Springfield.

Video showing the low recoil

View: https://youtu.be/vZ-ecXr5WvY

Video shooting at the farm in NH

View: https://youtu.be/nEXzLT3Za-Y

Here is the video of my slide.

View: https://youtu.be/TVDp6J7TG7k

Here is a video of the breakdown of parts i used..

View: https://youtu.be/URr25wS8Tkw

Here is a video of the disconnector ramp.

View: https://youtu.be/9kp8c1GXdDo

Any questions let me know.. I love mine.

Last edited:
Any questions let me know.. I love mine
So what is left of the factory gun, and how much did it cost to make you like it?

I'm not being a dink, I want to want one of these because I have wanted a double stack 1911 since forever, just don't want to spend Staccato money, and I get the feeling to need to spend Staccato money to make these worth it.

Other than barrel teams, it seems like most changes to Prodigies made are because of preference and not needed to get the gun to run.
Barrel teams?

If these are gtg off the shelf I may try to pick one up after all the other guns I have higher on the priority list.

So what is left of the factory gun, and how much did it cost to make you like it?

I'm not being a dink, I want to want one of these because I have wanted a double stack 1911 since forever, just don't want to spend Staccato money, and I get the feeling to need to spend Staccato money to make these worth it.
Honestly, if you have the factory gun, spend 170 on the ignition parts slap it together your good to go.

Just sand and polish and it will run flawless. And maybe an extra 20 bucks for springs if you have an issue.

Little money and some time polishing.

I didn’t want a staccato gat, I sold all my other 2011’s. Costa Carry Comps, Omni, SVI Sight Tracker, Combat Master.

Honestly this shoots great. Those mentioned above have all come with a heavy price tag. I sold off all but the prodigy to recoup the gun fund.

Last edited:
Other than barrel teams, it seems like most changes to Prodigies made are because of preference and not needed to get the gun to run.
Correct, mine would have been fine with just an ignition kit if you wanted hard tool steel components. It’s 50/50 if you get one with a decent barrel.

Serial numbers 20k and higher have the better barrels from my research. Mine son the 4k region.

Basically any 2011:

View: https://youtu.be/eXdNcKF_n4U

I will say this about The Prodigy though at least if somebody could pull it off it'll at least give one a better cash buffer to buy more magazines. Stacs aren't even that expensive. It's all the tickytac shit that adds up. Magazines. TV set, etc.

Back
Top Bottom