• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield 1903 - advice needed

JackO

Instructor
I am trying to help a friend of mine to sell his Springfield 1903 rifle and need an advice on possible value of this rifle. It's in a close to perfect condition, bore is excellent. This rifle was made by Remington according to stamping on the receiver, it has also 43 stamped on the barrel (1943?), see last picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1903-2.jpg

1903-1.jpg

1903-3.jpg

1903-4.jpg

1903-6.jpg

1903-5.jpg

Last edited:
We had one at our local store that went for $500 recently to a knowledgeable hi-power shooter. That's a good starting point I would imagine. Your friend's seems to be in similar condition to that one.

Its not worth much, they're a dime a dozen like that. Crappy rifles, lousy resale value. To ease his pain I'll give him $250 for it. [smile] [smile]
To be serious though thats an 03A3 and in that condition I'm betting would go $500 or higher on any auction site, maybe even $700 or more. Its a very late 1943 production rifle judging by the numbers. More info can be found here: http://home.att.net/~vishooter/m1903.html
Beauty of a rifle and I wish I had the cash to offer him a fair price. Let us know what he gets for it.[wink]

Last edited:
Its not worth much, they're a dime a dozen like that. Crappy rifles, lousy resale value. To ease his pain I'll give him $250 for it.
Don't listen to him -- he's trying to cheat you. It's worth at least the $300 I'll give you [wink]

When CMP was selling them (03A3), they went for $450. I got mine there about 1 1/2 years ago for that amount and it's as good as that one. So they're worth at least that much. Keep in mind that the 03 and the 03A3, while very similar, are not the same rifle. The 03's are much older and generally bring more money.

Milsurps 4 Me's appraisal is quite accurate. On an auction sight I'd start the opening bid at $600. On a face to face I'd start at the $700 to $650 range and be willing to come down some, but no lower than $600. Unless your selling to me and I'll give you $350 for it. ;-)

Good luck, I hope it finds a good home.

Stoney (who's self imposed restrictions will not allow another gun purchase for 2006) Pete

If it were mine, I wouldn't let it go for less than $700. Actually, I probably wouldn't let it go at all.

Back
Top Bottom