Spring Turkey 2020

I just recently moved from South Jersey up to Malden, MA a few months back, and I am looking to get into a little hunting up here. I'm looking for a place to potentially try my luck with the Spring Turkey season. I know there's a few WMA's located in the NE portion of MA such as Crane Pond, Martin Burns, William Forward, Etc. Does anyone have experience hunting these areas? Does anyone have any other suggestions of potential public Turkey Grounds around the area?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I just recently moved from South Jersey up to Malden, MA a few months back, and I am looking to get into a little hunting up here. I'm looking for a place to potentially try my luck with the Spring Turkey season. I know there's a few WMA's located in the NE portion of MA such as Crane Pond, Martin Burns, William Forward, Etc. Does anyone have experience hunting these areas? Does anyone have any other suggestions of potential public Turkey Grounds around the area?

Thanks
Camp Edwards (joint base cape cod) does a hunt every year. The wmas get crowded lol

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

The turkey flock in. Massachusetts has never been in better shape. This year the DFW increased the bag limit to 2 spring toms and one fall bird of either sex.

There are a lot of acres open to hunting and the link below will get you to the map of the WMA’s. I don’t hunt out that way so I’m not of much help when it comes to specific WMA’s
MassWildlife Lands Viewer

Make sure that you get your safety sticker for your shotgun. They are required and not having one is a ticket-able offense.

Wild turkey hunting regulations

If you plan on hunting deer in Massachusetts you get two buck tags with your license. All doe tags are given out by lottery. The odds of winning a permit vary greatly by deer Management zone And excess permits are sold “over the counter”. You must apply by July 16th for the lottery.

Apply for an Antlerless Deer Permit

Bob

Welcome to the forum.

The turkey flock in. Massachusetts has never been in better shape. This year the DFW increased the bag limit to 2 spring toms and one fall bird of either sex.

There are a lot of acres open to hunting and the link below will get you to the map of the WMA’s. I don’t hunt out that way so I’m not of much help when it comes to specific WMA’s
MassWildlife Lands Viewer

Make sure that you get your safety sticker for your shotgun. They are required and not having one is a ticket-able offense.

Wild turkey hunting regulations

If you plan on hunting deer in Massachusetts you get two buck tags with your license. All doe tags are given out by lottery. The odds of winning a permit vary greatly by deer Management zone And excess permits are sold “over the counter”. You must apply by July 16th for the lottery.

Apply for an Antlerless Deer Permit

Bob
I purchased my license already didn't realize they gave you to spring tags now.
Thanks for the heads up.

I’m excited for spring turkey too after one heck of winter/spring doldrums. 2 spring toms will be a worthy challenge. I have Mondays off so I’ll be in the thick of it come 4/27 for the 6hrs12mins of hunting time.

My buddy has snagged 2 gobblers out of Marshfield and he uses OnX maps for the very small slices of land around the bogs.

Best of luck on your spring hunt!

Reminder to get your stupid little green stickers....

the state is still sending them out when requested but only once a week or so. get your envelope in the mail now if you need them.

If you're hunting turkey with a shotgun or muzzleloader, an official safety sticker must placed an on the gun. The sticker must be visible when you are sighting down the barrel. For a new or replacement sticker, visit any MassWildlife office or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
MassWildlife
ATTN: Turkey safety sticker
1 Rabbit Hill Road
Westborough, MA 01581

Couple updates from Mass Wildlife regarding turkey season

some towns have "closed" access to public lands for now. Namely Wrentham State Forest near me... Wonder if they'll be open by the 27th.

The sticker must be visible when you are sighting down the barrel.

Honestly??? This is one of those "are they kidding?" regulations. I can see Neidermeyer saying SAFETY STICKER like he was saying PLEDGE PIN in Animal House.

Just think: Apr 27-May-wahtever. You could have C19, Lyme and EEE all at the same time. Trifecta!

Was perusing TS for shotgun ammo on a whim and they usually have nothing interesting except I grabbed an ammo box of BB goose loads for good money last year.

Looked the other day and what do I see but one single box of Mag-shok turkey load for $7. Grabbed that real quick and maybe it will reach me before season opener. Free shipping and Prime for those deals are killer.
EEE197BC-106A-4FDD-8A14-AADDCBC0DE76.png

some towns have "closed" access to public lands for now. Namely Wrentham State Forest near me... Wonder if they'll be open by the 27th.
that's interesting...The town doesn't actually own the State Forest, I would think the State would be the only entity that could restrict access...

Been doing some scouting in a new area.
Walked up on some hens in the process. It's public land so hopefully not a crowd there on Monday....But I have plans B & C.
Cant wait...!

Did a little scouting in the woods Sunday and saw the ticks hopping around. They were easy to see against the melting snow. +1 on the pyrethrum.

Looks like its going to be a wet opener.
I may go out and give it a shot anyway unless it's pouring.....
If the rain stops late morning they may start moving to the open fields to dry out?

Messing around on the deck with the kids this am had one gobbling 100 yards behind the house.
In the rain they like to be in the fields

Back
Top Bottom