Spring size for magazine extensions

chindogg

NES Member
When adding plus capacity baseplates how do you determine if you need a new/different size spring? Is it a trial and error thing or is there a rule of thumb? Maybe a dumb question but I do things in detail lol. I recently bought one with a spring but that one seems a bit large. I'm guessing it needs to be trimmed.
Thanks

Depends on how many rounds you are adding. If +2 stock spring is usually enough. To make sure, I always use Wolff +10% springs and have never had an issue.

If adding more than 2 rounds, check with the company you are buying the base pads from and see what they recommend.

When adding plus capacity baseplates how do you determine if you need a new/different size spring? Is it a trial and error thing or is there a rule of thumb? Maybe a dumb question but I do things in detail lol. I recently bought one with a spring but that one seems a bit large. I'm guessing it needs to be trimmed.
Thanks
Some are offered as part of the package. I installed extended mags on two of our three 12 gauge Remington 870s. Ordered the kits from Midway. The "plus 2" mag extensions came with springs and followers as part of each kit. Midway delivers to MA. No problem there.

Back
Top Bottom