• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spring Assisted Knives

and this is the point exactly. A member on another site got caught up in the NYC nonsense, but keep his cool with the cops, went to his hearing and it was dismissed, no charges, no record.

Does it suck to lose a day on this BS ? Absolutely, but until things change work the system or the system will work you.

The thing is, not everybody goes into court and gets things dismissed. If you break down stuff like this by income or race, you'll often find that the "justice system" has a lot of systemic bias where two people can get arrested for the same thing, one walks and the other ends up serving time.

The thing is, not everybody goes into court and gets things dismissed. If you break down stuff like this by income or race, you'll often find that the "justice system" has a lot of systemic bias where two people can get arrested for the same thing, one walks and the other ends up serving time.

This is definitely an argument. However, GIVEN that the "justice system" is unfair to minorities- if that is the argument you want to make and GIVEN that minorities who run/fight with the Cops have recently met VERY untimely deaths, isn't it all the more reason to NOT run from police because of your prohibited knife? (if that is even why he ran). I mean, the Cops WERE NOT EVEN THERE TO DETAIN HIM.

Given recent events, if I was a minority and was being stopped for having an illegal knife (again, this is not even what happened), I would not resist because I do not want to be shot in the back 8 times, choked out, or have my spinal cord severed.

The fact that this guy has been caught at least 20 times breaking laws prior to this is mind boggling- someone who has been caught repeatedly thinks "maybe on the 23rd time as a black male being arrested in a city known for police brutality, I will be able to escape the cops."

This is definitely an argument. However, GIVEN that the "justice system" is unfair to minorities- if that is the argument you want to make and GIVEN that minorities who run/fight with the Cops have recently met VERY untimely deaths, isn't it all the more reason to NOT run from police because of your prohibited knife? (if that is even why he ran). I mean, the Cops WERE NOT EVEN THERE TO DETAIN HIM.

Given recent events, if I was a minority and was being stopped for having an illegal knife (again, this is not even what happened), I would not resist because I do not want to be shot in the back 8 times, choked out, or have my spinal cord severed.

The fact that this guy has been caught at least 20 times breaking laws prior to this is mind boggling- someone who has been caught repeatedly thinks "maybe on the 23rd time as a black male being arrested in a city known for police brutality, I will be able to escape the cops."

You don't have any data on how frequently people are able to get away. It could be a good decision.

You don't have any data on how frequently people are able to get away. It could be a good decision.

I don't need those metrics to prove my point- it sounds like you do, though. Ok, so it's a good decision. Would YOU run as a minority given recent events?

All knives aside, it is not like normal people immediatly start running when they make eye contact with the cops (such as this situation was). Although that would be hilarious, you are assuming the knife WAS the reason Mr. Gray ran (based on biased judicial processes for minorities carrying a prohibited weapon) which we do not have enough information to prove.

Everybody is hung up on this knife thing when the bigger problem- the problem that led to this individual's death was the fact that he ran from the police unprovoked. When you run from the police, they have RS to detain you (you would think Mr. Gray would know how these things work based on his 20+ criminal court cases/arrests prior to this incident) and you are probably going to go down hard WHEN (not if) the police catch up and apprehend you.
Are you seriously blaming the victim here? What crime is running when there are cops around indicative of that they would even detain him? If I'm out jogging and a cruiser is driving by, should I stop and #handsupdontshoot ?

Are you seriously blaming the victim here? What crime is running when there are cops around indicative of that they would even detain him? If I'm out jogging and a cruiser is driving by, should I stop and #handsupdontshoot ?

Apparently. Also, you might want to pull out your ID first just so you're ready for them to inspect your papers.

It is called Reasonable Suspician. Look it up. I am sure Mr. Gray was out jogging and profiled for being a black man in Baltimore. My mistake- as you were.

Without going back and forth all day without any other information on this case- Police brutality is a serious plague on our nation right now that needs to be addressed.

That said, it seems like poor decision making on Mr. Gray's part to run from the police and resist arrest in the times we live in either because he was carrying an illegal knife, or just because he was out for a jog.

Like it or not, the SCOTUS has ruled that "fleeing in a high crime area at the sight of police is enough to create reasonable suspicion. Indicating that reasonable suspicion rest heavily on normal human behavior, stating that flight at the mere sight of police is a sign that there exists reasonable suspicion that criminal activity is afoot".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_v._Wardlow

That being the case, did the incident being discussed occur in "a high crime area"?

Well now, we'll fix that little problem...

dYaPL1W.jpg

Im stationed 30 minutes away...that place is the freaking Wild West.

You at Ft. McHenry?

At least you're out of the blast zone.

So because they're at a disadvantage, it's even more their fault?

Without going back and forth all day without any other information on this case- Police brutality is a serious plague on our nation right now that needs to be addressed.

That said, it seems like poor decision making on Mr. Gray's part to run from the police and resist arrest in the times we live in either because he was carrying an illegal knife, or just because he was out for a jog.

Well, as a nation, we'll need to work on not blaming victims before we will see any change.

Well, as a nation, we'll need to work on not blaming victims before we will see any change.

hah! I am not blaming Mr. Gray- I just think it was an unfortunate decision to run. I agree with police reform and I am sure DOJ will do their "due diligence" to investigate the department. But, the more they peel back the onion on this department, it seems like police brutality is the "norm" (and well known by residents in poorer parts of Baltimore) making it a foolish decision to run (ESPECIALLY with recent events).

Would you have run?

So because they're at a disadvantage, it's even more their fault?

I am not talking about breaking laws here- I are talking about STAYING ALIVE after you make the conscious decision to run from police. Arrested (because BPD unjustly arrested you) vs. Dead

Back
Top Bottom