• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Spring Assisted Knives

It amazes me that there is such a thing as "knife laws".

Is a switchblade any more dangerous than a chefs knife? The whole concept is pure stupid.

Have you ever watched cooking shows, particularly with Japanese chefs? Morimoto: he'd be able to slice, dice, and julienne any random person on the street before they could deply a switch-blade. So, just the knife? No, it all depends on the wielder.

Is a switchblade any more dangerous than a chefs knife? The whole concept is pure stupid.

Lots of fail in Mgl 269 section 10. Even more fail in its application. Most switchblade laws came into effect in the 50's.

Movies must have made switchblades look scary to the sheeple just like they did with the evil black rifles. [hmmm]

Of course they're scary, they grant the bad guy the ability to be on fire and still come after you as General Zolo did. [laugh]

rts_175ManuelOjeda.jpg

Spring assists are not switchblades!

A switchblade the blade is released by a SWITCH in the HANDLE. A spring assist requires you to apply force to the BLADE and the spring assists it in opening.

"unlawful if it opens automatically by pushing a button, spring or other device in the handle."

A spring assist has NONE of these things. It does NOT open automatically. There is NO button, spring, or other device in the HANDLE. It is NOT illegal per MD law.

Of course this has never stopped cops from arresting people, or prosecutors for prosecuting on charges like this. It's a farce and they know it.

But the worse is so called "gravity" knives. You ask a thousand cops and prosecutors, and I'd be shocked if even ONE would know what a real gravity knife is. Making them illegal is a huge injustice. Even if you ignore the asinine logic of any knife law, laws prohibiting gravity knives in particular are beyond asinine. EVERY one handed opening pocket knife could be construed as one if a cop or prosecutor wants to push the issue. Of course none of them are actual gravity knives.

Here is an actual gravity knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjXuiC8t1E

But I digress. Point being, it's a farce.

It's a bunch of total bullshit that got threaded into laws over the years just like the infinite mounds of bullshit about people concealing handguns being bad, machine guns being inherently bad, etc. Irrational misplaced, completely mindless fear cast into shitty law. All legacy crap future generations were saddled with because apparently people thought it was cool to cast EMO bullshit into law whenever the occasion arose. It's the same kind of logic that was behind the Prohibition, drug laws, etc... so this is hardly a "new" thing.

-Mike

Last edited:
I believe it was the trenchcoat mafia days that influenced NFA and legislation against gangster guns.
1950's greasers influenced switchblade bans.
1970's kung fu movies that influenced nunchaku and various Asian weapons bans. Balisongs included?
1990's rappers must have influenced Glock restrictions in MA. I didn't think our AG's listened to rap!
1990s-current mass shootings - black rifle bans.

In any case, I think Baltimore would be better of if they just banned murder and assault. Problem solved!

It's a shame these shitty laws about knife bans and stop and frisks would end in someone's death.

This is a very real problem sadly as of late in the "big apple". If you have a pocket clip knife it is best to unclip it and carry it inside pocket.

Very true. Or, appendix carry it clipped. Which, is actually better because you can then reach it with either hand.

The knife laws around our country (particularly in the NE) are absolutely asinine. So much so, that often LEOs do not even know the laws of their AOR (blade length, assisted open, push button auto etc.) That said, this whole situation was doomed from the start...

Everybody is hung up on this knife thing when the bigger problem- the problem that led to this individual's death was the fact that he ran from the police unprovoked. When you run from the police, they have RS to detain you (you would think Mr. Gray would know how these things work based on his 20+ criminal court cases/arrests prior to this incident) and you are probably going to go down hard WHEN (not if) the police catch up and apprehend you.

When they detain you and find a questionable knife (let's just say for the sake of argument it is an assisted open/non-auto knife) after you run from them, you probably will be arrested even if you are carrying a legal blade. I am not saying that this is right, but wouldnt it be better to be compliant until the situation can be figured out? (in a situation where an individual is stopped BECAUSE of the knife he is carrying). Again, this is based on the notion that he was carrying a legal knife. I doubt Mr. Gray was running because of the knife (he couldve tried to dump it while running if this were the case).

I am a huge advocate for police reform yadda yadda- but, if you don't run from the police (as we have seen in N.Charleston and here), you won't die. Just saying.

There have been plenty of times I forgot I had an "evil" knife on me walking the streets where it was not authorized. But, I simply put the knife in my pocket, did not commit any crimes, and didnt run from the police. It worked pretty well for me...easy day.

A spring assist has NONE of these things. It does NOT open automatically. There is NO button, spring, or other device in the HANDLE. It is NOT illegal per MD law.

Of course this has never stopped cops from arresting people, or prosecutors for prosecuting on charges like this. It's a farce and they know it.

i agree it and any laws like it are pure garbage, but the issue in Baltimore isn't whether the knife was illegal under MD law, Baltimore has its own law. It was legal under MD law according to the cops but illegal in Baltimore. If it is illegal in Baltimore, nearly 1/2 the charges disappear and the arresting cops really can't be charged with much.

The states attorney isn't very bright and is obviously in way over her head. She thinks she is super woman but all she did is delay the riots which will likely be worse the the charges get dismissed or result in not guilty's.

Spring assists are not switchblades!

A switchblade the blade is released by a SWITCH in the HANDLE. A spring assist requires you to apply force to the BLADE and the spring assists it in opening.

"unlawful if it opens automatically by pushing a button, spring or other device in the handle."

But the worse is so called "gravity" knives. You ask a thousand cops and prosecutors, and I'd be shocked if even ONE would know what a real gravity knife is. Making them illegal is a huge injustice. Even if you ignore the asinine logic of any knife law, laws prohibiting gravity knives in particular are beyond asinine. EVERY one handed opening pocket knife could be construed as one if a cop or prosecutor wants to push the issue. Of course none of them are actual gravity knives.

Here is an actual gravity knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjXuiC8t1E

Read the Baltimore ordinance. It's vague enough that an assisted opening knife counts as a switchblade. http://lawofselfdefense.com/statute/md-baltimore-code-§-59-22-switch-blade-knives/

What would it have hurt if the states attorney waited a few weeks and investigated thoroughly. There was no need to rush in putting out charges and her statements at the new confrenece "i hear your chants no justice no peace", what the hell is that about? The clown mayor can do thay political BS but as a prosecuting attorney, you cannot. Even if there is a crime here, she really painted herself in a corner with the charges and the statements. She said in the news conference, the injury happened in the van during transport. He sure looked hurt to me when he was arrested. But now she is stuck with some of theses statements.

There are some gender and race differences between this clown and Nifong and there may have been a crime here where there was nothing other than horrible taste in ugly strippers in the Duke case. But both clown prosecutors were blinded by their ego and media coverage.

Very true. Or, appendix carry it clipped. Which, is actually better because you can then reach it with either hand.

The knife laws around our country (particularly in the NE) are absolutely asinine. So much so, that often LEOs do not even know the laws of their AOR (blade length, assisted open, push button auto etc.) That said, this whole situation was doomed from the start...

Everybody is hung up on this knife thing when the bigger problem- the problem that led to this individual's death was the fact that he ran from the police unprovoked. When you run from the police, they have RS to detain you (you would think Mr. Gray would know how these things work based on his 20+ criminal court cases/arrests prior to this incident) and you are probably going to go down hard WHEN (not if) the police catch up and apprehend you.

When they detain you and find a questionable knife (let's just say for the sake of argument it is an assisted open/non-auto knife) after you run from them, you probably will be arrested even if you are carrying a legal blade. I am not saying that this is right, but wouldnt it be better to be compliant until the situation can be figured out? (in a situation where an individual is stopped BECAUSE of the knife he is carrying). Again, this is based on the notion that he was carrying a legal knife. I doubt Mr. Gray was running because of the knife (he couldve tried to dump it while running if this were the case).

I am a huge advocate for police reform yadda yadda- but, if you don't run from the police (as we have seen in N.Charleston and here), you won't die. Just saying.

There have been plenty of times I forgot I had an "evil" knife on me walking the streets where it was not authorized. But, I simply put the knife in my pocket, did not commit any crimes, and didnt run from the police. It worked pretty well for me...easy day.

and this is the point exactly. A member on another site got caught up in the NYC nonsense, but keep his cool with the cops, went to his hearing and it was dismissed, no charges, no record.

Does it suck to lose a day on this BS ? Absolutely, but until things change work the system or the system will work you.

The states attorney isn't very bright and is obviously in way over her head. She thinks she is super woman but all she did is delay the riots which will likely be worse the the charges get dismissed or result in not guilty's.

I agree..she sounded like a moh-ron during the press conference.

Also, the dude did seem in pretty rough shape before even going into the paddy wagon...it looked like "real" pain and not just "my cuffs are too tight" garbage.

I got to think about it and even if you said "Dan, I will give you $1 million and you wont be injured if you find a way to snap your spinal cord"- I wouldn't even know where to begin. How exactly did he sustain such an injury?? Probably running from the 5-0. I think determining HOW the injury occurred-and thus how he ultimately died, is key.

Although it hasnt been released yet, my money is on this being a prohibited knife. When that happens, hopefully this prosecuter can focus on the real problem that needs answering: what caused Mr. Gray's death?

American Knife and Tool Institute is working to fix this, state-by-state

The following states have knife law preemption: Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Kansas, New Hampshire, Okalahoma (see below), Tennessee, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wyoming. Many more states have pending legislation.

Knife laws are just as confusing and suck just as bad as gun laws. Every single state, county, or town can have different laws.
This is why I donate to American Knife and Tool Institute. They were instrumental in repealing New Hampshire's knife laws and getting statewide preemption, and are working to do the same in other states.

Okalahoma's state preemption takes effect later this year, in large part thanks to AKTI.

Back
Top Bottom